Garmin inReach

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by duffylasker, May 30, 2017.

1. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    I may be repeating myself but I take 2 big trips a year where I'm totally off the grid. $35 a month for freedom plan two months a year = $70. Spot wants $199 annual contract w/o being able to just do monthly.

so Getting a new Inreach for $300 or a spot for $200 I think it'll pay for itself. Also Inreach allows me to use my mobile to write out messages to my GF and talk to EMTs after I press SOS. Spot only has a few caned responses to people unless you get their new device which costs $250
  2. Daboo

Daboo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    AdamChandler likes this.
  3. GravelRider

GravelRider AKA max384 Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey guys, I've got a question about my Inreach Explorer. I can't seem to get the trip info to display. Whenever I click on trip info, all of the stats read zeros. I've reset trip and reset all, but it never starts. It just stays zeros. When I click on the link button, those stats all come up appropriately, so I know I've got satellites picked up.

Am I missing something simple? Like having to click start trip or something?
  4. GravelRider

Oddometer:
    Never mind. I figured it out. You have to turn on tracking to start the trip
  5. lonsomecrow

lonsomecrow Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Where did you get the mount screws for the plate that goes behind?
  6. Overanalyze

Overanalyze because when given the option, I will overthink it

Oddometer:
    I have a Klim jacket and have gone thru the same questions. I just now put it in my side pocket (of the jacket) not the chest, in case I fall on my chest
  7. fireman181

fireman181 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Forget about navigation - use it as an emergency beacon with text capability. If you travel backcountry alone, either backpacking or by bike, worth it’s weight in gold.
    Overanalyze likes this.
  8. RoundOz

RoundOz Plenty of seasoning

Oddometer:
    Anyone tried to sync to update software via a mac running High Sierra? Getting a “connection to server lost” type message and an Apple msg that says developer needs to update its app. I have emailed Inreach tech support...
  9. Addapost

Addapost Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not sure if I should start a new thread of tag onto this one. Guess I'm tagging onto this one. I am considering the Inreach Explorer+ to have with me to do the TAT this summer. I fully get the SOS and satellite com features, that is the primary reason for wanting this unit. However, I am also interested in using it as a backup navigation gps and I am having a hard time getting solid answers to a few questions. I keep hearing "don't use this for navigation." "It's not good for navigation." But there are also some clues that it will do what I want it to do, I just need solid confirmation from an owner. I know it comes loaded with a North America topo map. I want to load the TAT tracks onto the unit and simply follow them on the screen. My questions are:

1. Can you load gpx tracks onto the unit? (I don't care how, if that means connecting to the computer at home- that's fine. I just want to know that they can be loaded onto the unit.)
    2. Do the tracks show up as colored lines on the map on the screen?
    3. Is there an icon that shows up on the screen that is "me", at my position on the map?
    4. Will that position icon follow the colored track on the map as I move?
    5. Will the map orient to a "direction of travel at the top of the screen" orientation when I am moving?

Thanks for any help
  10. RedRover_CO

RedRover_CO Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Based on my experience with my InReach (bought in 2018)...
    1) Yes you can load GPX KML and KMZ routes into the handheld unit (limited to 500 waypoints). Step by step can be found here: https://support-inreach.roadpost.ca/kb/articles/importing-gpx-or-kml-files-to-the-explore-portal
    2) The route shows up as dots along a blue line (I don't know if color can be changed)
    3) Your position should always be displayed as a Star Trek type green "V".
    4) The position arrow will always reflect where you are, at the head of the track of your movement. The route you upload will basically become a part of the topo background map, whether you follow it or not. If you do, your actual track and the uploaded route will overlap.
    5) The screen orientation can be toggled between your heading or true north.

I don't rely on the InReach for nav because the screen is so small but it has helped me out in a pinch in the mountains when there was a fork in the trail that wasn't on my map, or when I was trying to determine how many miles I had traveled for fuel management purposes.
    Addapost likes this.
  11. Daboo

Daboo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have the inReach SE from DeLorme. From looking at the DeLorme models and the Garmin models about all that changed was the outside casing and the price increased. I purposely did not buy the Explorer model at the time because the screen was to small to navigate.

With that said, I can give you a direction to get your answers. Check out the Earthmate app. You get it free with your inReach device, no matter which one you buy. Instead of the tiny Explorer screen, you get instead the screen of your smartphone...and that is usable. Unlimited topographic maps too. Your inReach device sends its location, which are displayed on the smartphone screen.

[​IMG]

]
    Addapost likes this.
  12. Thinwater

Thinwater Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Does the Garmin Inreach have the capability by itself to give audible or voice turn notifications to a Bluetooth headset (sena, cardo)? or Do you have to just watch the line and identify the turns on the screen?
  13. Daboo

Daboo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    On my DeLorme inReach SE, there's no BT turn notifications. I don't think there are either on the Earthmate app. You'd have to check the app's website to be sure.

Chris
    Thinwater likes this.
  14. jojojones

jojojones Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No voice commands.

Why bother with earthmate when you have extremely powerful gps phone apps...locus etc. For me the nav was almost useless even as a backup...sold and got mini instead to keep on my person...not on bike.

A used $50 Android would be a better backup.
  15. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    InReach is primarily for two way texting/SOS, GPS function is secondary. As stated above get an inexpensive android phone (or for bucks an all out GPS unit [which may not be better than the android phone])
    Addapost likes this.
  16. Tyrensy

Tyrensy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've read through this, and I'm not convinced my plan will work. Can someone reassure me of this without telling me to buy two devices?
    I will be doing 3 trips this summer where there is no cell service. I have a computer at home and good paper maps of the areas I am going. I would like the Satellite Iridium SOS capability as well as a GPS for hiking and riding.
    Will the InReach SE or Explorer provide (with service plan) the text and SOS capabilities I want as well as Tracks for the WABDR (even if I have to slow down at intersections to be able to read the screen)?
    Will it do the basic grid coord, elevation, backtracking, and other hiking capabilities?

Are the new SE models on Amazon still a good investment? Are they supported and capable of being paired with a phone app (for when I do have my phone on me)?

Thanks everyone.
  17. nickgindy

nickgindy KLR Basher Supporter

Oddometer:
    It does a wonderful job for text and sos capability. It does record basic grid coord, elevation backjtracking, ect. The problem with the Explorer is that it shows aa pretty basic map with your track overlay.

The amazon deal is a hell of a deal. Has great reviews.
  18. jojojones

jojojones Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    NO. ONCE AGAIN NO. ONE MORE TIME NO. N O negative. Stop trying to make this more complex than it is. Get a cheap android phone and do your nav with that. The inreach pairs to the phone for easier text comms in non cellular areas and sos. You will be looking for a cliff to jump off of if you attempt to use an inreach as a primary nav riding a motorcycle...sorry. The whole garmin tracks thing on there is limited and jangly....OR....you could be the test monkey for all of us and get this: https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/623975

...but I'm afraid even at $600 a simple android with a wonderful 5" screen far surpasses it in navigation.
    GravelRider likes this.
  19. GravelRider

Oddometer:
    I agree. When I'm out venturing out of cell reception I download that area of Google maps and I'm good to go. If I were hiking, I'd download a more appropriate topo map app. Using the Earthmate app, texting with the Inreach is a breeze. I'd never go anywhere with the Inreach without a phone to pair with it if I could help it.
  20. ommoran

ommoran Experienced Newbie

Oddometer:
    My solution was also simple. I won't get into the GPS vs hardened Android phone debate, but each side has their merits. However, I would recommend that you save the money and get an InReach Mini. That gives you the GPS texting. Your solution on the other end is up to you, as long as there is a phone in there somewhere to make the Mini easier to deal with - although it is great on it's own.