Garmin inReach

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by duffylasker, May 30, 2017.

1. Tyrensy

Tyrensy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well, its not what I wanted to hear a couple weeks ago, but I heeded your advice. I bought a GPSMAP 60CSx (used) with some local maps on a Garmin card. I also just bought a Spot Gen3 for the SOS and basic (pre-loaded) texting and trip updates. As much as I wanted to only worry about, and use, one device. Each of these devices will do it's own job better. Thanks for the "NO NO NO," I guess I needed it.
  2. pprO.R.A.

pprO.R.A. Hipster Dufass

Oddometer:
    Very much nOOb question here, but I have a Garmin in reach and like to know which nav host to download the rimrockertrail.org route to the unit, there are 3 data choices KML, GPX, Esri Shapefile. I tried using GPX download and basecamp host but the unit will not accept it.
    Sorry I am not savvy in GPS at all, and this is my 1st attemp to load up a route,, any help/ advise would be greatly appreciated.
    jojojones likes this.
  3. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    the gpx works fine on my phone
  4. jojojones

jojojones Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I believe you import the GPX into the program that syncs to the inreach. It is not base camp. You must use the proprietary website and import the GPS to that which will unfortunately limit your amount of way points. But it will work.

5. pprO.R.A.

pprO.R.A. Hipster Dufass

Oddometer:
    Thanks @jojojones with work and study and a little frustration i got the map loaded on the unit. ^^^ The youtube tutorial helped also.
  6. jojojones

Oddometer:
    I don't want to bum you out but attempting to ride a motorcycle looking at that small screen is going to be very very frustrating and probably bordering on unsafe. I suggest just getting an Android phone dedicated for GPS and keeping me in reach for SOS.
    GravelRider likes this.
  7. pprO.R.A.

pprO.R.A. Hipster Dufass

Oddometer:
    Yeah I realize that once looking at the screen, I am going to use it on this trip for navigating while stopped probably, as the route has many forks and turns. But I also have a route chart and map. You can pair to a phone with the Earthmate APP as well.
  8. jojojones

Oddometer:
    IMHO the only reason to ever use earth-mate is to make text communications easier. It really is very limited and garmen strips off your ability to have thousands of waypoints. If you're on an Android check out locus maps pro it's the top of the line.
    GravelRider likes this.
  9. pprO.R.A.

pprO.R.A. Hipster Dufass

Oddometer:
    thanks again, I can always rely on fellow inmates to get the good info,, ^^^ Is there a good way to keep a mounted pone water/ and shock proof?
  10. Addapost

Addapost Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I navigate with an iPhone 6s and keep it on my bars in a Lifeproof Nuud case. It is waterproof, dust proof, and shock resistant. It has been completely fine for 12,000 tough, mostly off-road miles including the MABDR and TAT this summer. No issues at all. I expect it to keep on keeping on.
  11. jojojones

Oddometer:
    get a moto x4, ip68 waterproof phone under $200 with RAM X mount to handlebars. Locus maps pro and osmand+ work well on android and maybe addapost can say what works well on iphone.
  12. pprO.R.A.

pprO.R.A. Hipster Dufass

Oddometer:
    Appreciate it guys,, I am an android user, will look into moto x4,,, and their GB storage capabilities.
  13. jojojones

Oddometer:
    It has an external SD card slot but I've never even come close to filling the internal storage.
  14. Thinwater

Thinwater Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The Garmin Inreach Exporer can be used to Navigate the TAT if synched to a phone for a larger screen, you have to swipe the screen as your movement almost leaves the screen. You can't route though. I know a lot of scrutiny has been applied to using the Inreach Explorer and I understand. I just got back from the TAT my TomTom 550 rider ( my primary navigation) freaked out after a software update. TomTom's repair policy requires a real computer and a soft boot update before they will proceed to help you (you can't get that done on the TAT), no one will let you download the software to do the check on their computer, library, hotel ect. I had no choice but to use the Inreach Explorer after Silverton, Co. It took a little more than an hour to get use to it. I"m glad I loaded the routes on Both before I left, elswise the trip would have died in the middle.