Garmin Montana 610/680 or Garmin 396 lmt-s

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by tshansen, Nov 3, 2018.

1. tshansen

tshansen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hello inmates... I have tried to search info around this on the forum without luck, so hoping to get solid advise from you who have used both or have a better understanding of Garmin GPS.

I mainly use my GPS with pre-planed routes or track... I can plan a route, and stick to it, but a lot of times i only use the route to have something to fall back on. I show tracks on map that i drive that are not according to my pre planed route. Sometimes i wonder of on a track i have and always try to have 2 or 3 options from A to B. For me, planing the route/trip is half the adventure.

I use either Basecamp or Myrouteapp and download tracks or Routes from friends or recomended sites. I'm planing to ride most of the TET (trans euro trail) the next couple of years, and im not sure what GPS that will work best for my usage? I have a Navigator V on my GSA, but this new gps i'm gonna attach to my new Thumper (KTM 690 Enduro R)

I also freeride alot, just looking at the gps or phone map to seek out new optional routes and roads (on/offroad) Also would like a better way to handle my own tracking. The Navigator V tracks everything, but its kinda tiresome to stitch everything together i basecamp afterwords. I often find my self using the phone to track new roads or POI.

I dont use voice commands or get voice turn by turn from my gps. I dont use mediaplayer, spotify, phone sync etc.... I only use the GPS feature and waypoint (navigate to)
    Take me home, or to a saved waypoint is often used. And of course the "find nearest gas station" :p

I dont know if i need other maps then city navigator? dont have any experience with other. Are the open source maps routeble? I like the fact that 396 has wi-fi and the options to get new routes/tracks from my phone without hooking it up to my computer.

Are the screen better to use/watch on a Montana or a Zumo? Any advise? And NO!! there is no chance for me to use my phone for navigation... its just not good enough :p

Cheers from Norway
  2. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    right now i have around 1300 routes and tracks on the phone, and maybe closer to 75,000 waypoints.... if i couldn't convince you to try plotting, recording, EDITING tracks and routes, i would love to at least show you how much easier storage can be than basecamp.

for example, calling up the 2017 eclipse tracks (I'm guessing around 120,000 miles of tracks), the TAT, the KAT, and the TWAT is pretty painless. adding the 13,000 or so PureGas waypoints is one button push.
    Screenshot_2018-11-03-18-59-26.png

of course any of them can be used as navigation destinations, but in only trying to sell you on the idea of totally exploiting that super computer in your pocket, and ditching basecamp.

if your garmin can recieve gpx files via wifi/Bluetooth, it would do you a ton of happiness to explore other avenues for better storage and processing of gpx/kmz/similar files. if it's not capable of receiving files via Bluetooth/wifi, none of this excellent database stuff will help you, unless you try phone navigating. you'll have to carry a computer i guess.

i heard you loud and clear about not wanting to navigate with a phone. that's fine. I've done it for years when stand alone units simply couldn't do what i needed, and could show you how very easily.... but I'm only trying to sell you on the superior database idea right now...

Screenshot_2018-11-04-02-55-43.png Screenshot_2018-11-04-03-01-06.png
    tshansen likes this.
  3. tshansen

Oddometer:
    I have tried a couple of apps the last weeks, and non of them seems to do the job quite as easy as a gps! the cloasest i got, was galileo, but have to use it more to see if its any good. Witch app are you using?
    And yes, Basecamp is not my prefered way to go... i use a an web/app called myrouteapp. Those are still developing so they have some issues with stitching together tracks.
  4. tshansen

Oddometer:
    I'm from Norway, and do alot of riding in the rain. So far, my phone screens dont work as good with rain on it. My personal experince with basecamp aint that bad. It was hard in the beginning, but when you start to understand how it works, its ok too use.
    There are other programs like myrouteapp.com that works WAY better, but i dont dismiss Basecamp as a valid tool that can make my trips better. So far, i have not had any good experiences with phone as my main gps device...