Garmin Montana 680t vs Trailtech voyage pro

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by tk1250gsa, Oct 27, 2019.

1. tk1250gsa

tk1250gsa Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is what I researched so far
    Garmin 680T
    pros
    - Work like regular gps
    - TOPO map preinstalled.
    - Nearest gas station funtion etc.
    cons
    - touch screen is bit off
    - slow loading.

Trail tech voyage pro
    pros
    - buddy tracker (if your buddy has this one too)
    - work with all the bike information hook up which could be pretty useful
    - brighter screen than garmine
    - faster and better touch

Cons

- won't work like gps. can set up way point but can't searched by address nor find nearest gas station.

I was almost leaning to voyager pro but one that not working as navigation is bit bummer.
    any real opinion?
  2. CavReconSGT

CavReconSGT Just the right amount of evil. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I don't have the 680 but I do have the 600. I loved that GPS. It took me all over northern Quebec, Newfoundland, Labrador, James Bay twice and The North road, The Trans Labrador highway and more. I looked up the Trail tech so that is all I know about it. Saying that, here is what I would tell you. I don't know why the touchscreen would be off on the 680 but IIRC there is a calibration for that. More importantly. I would look at a Garmin 396LMT if you haven't purchased yet. I traded my 600 for it this summer for a trip to Alaska next year. This is virtually a perfect GPS for me. I can connect through Bluetooth so it speaks directly into my headset. Also it hooks to my phone so I get updates on weather and traffic, and ever texts and phone calls. It also has the ability to send my ride in real-time to someone, or a group of people looking to watch my ride. Now there are caveats to this such as the phone must have a connection to the network but that is probably true of the Trail Tech also. I would spend some time looking at this GPS but without knowing exactly what you are trying to accomplish that is the best I could recommend. Good luck.

KR
  3. tk1250gsa

Oddometer:
    Thanks for opinion.
    I’m pretty happy with my phone for road based trip. I want one for just off road trail. I could get bmw nav vi but then I can’t use on other bike which I’m planning to get ktm 500 exc next year.
  4. CavReconSGT

CavReconSGT Just the right amount of evil. Supporter

Oddometer:
    The term "road" is very subjective in the Canadian north country. I do use lots of the American and Canadian Topo's on my GPS for use on the trails and roads. I also use OSM for some of my riding. The 396 can be easily moved from bike to bike or even to cars. I have the Touratech locking mount like I did for the 600 on my bike.

Garmin396Installed.jpg

Old setup with Garmin 600 and 396 next to it for comparison:
    TwoGPSs.jpg
  5. tk1250gsa

Oddometer:
    road mean probably paved road I guess. i prob try my phone app Gaia and save up to get garmIN motana or voyage pro. thanks !
    CavReconSGT likes this.
  6. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    keep doing like you are, and just use a different app for off road?
  7. Grinnin

Grinnin Forever N00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    The 100k topo maps that are pre-installed on the 680T do not support routing. That means the next item on your list "nearest gas station" won't work with just that map. You can load free Open Street Maps and use those for routing. You can have multiple maps active at the same time. The Garmin 24k topo maps do support routing.

The Montana starts quickly and gets a fix quickly except in some circumstances. If you turn on a Montana within a week of shutting it off and within a few miles, it loads pretty fast. My Montana 650 starts in 17 seconds and has a location fix before 19 seconds. My fastest-starting phone takes 30 seconds to start and a few more seconds to start a navigation app. I haven't measured how long to get a fix. The total time is still about twice as long to start as the Montana. That phone is the much-recommended Kyocera Duraforce Pro.

If you leave a phone on all the time, the start time is zero and it always has a fix. If you use a separate phone for GPS and turn it off at night, the Montana may well be quicker. The way to make your Montana slow is to turn it off and move it a significant distance or wait a couple of weeks.

I've been using both devices this year but for a long trip in 2020, I'll be taking the Montana. Just shut it off at the camp site then start it at the same camp site and it will be ready long before the bike is warmed up.

I don't have experience with the Trail Tech.
  8. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto Sloppy 300 rider Supporter

Oddometer:

Have you seen any real world reports about the buddy tracking? It sounds like a cool feature but then when I started reading about it I did not like the details. First is obvious, my buddy would need the same GPS. Second is that it uses radio to communicate to the other unit, so it will basically be line of sight only. Like my experience with SENA headsets. If I can see my buddy, I don’t need them displayed on my gps.
  9. tk1250gsa

Oddometer:
    Yea buddy tracking is kinda lame. I just mentioned to indicate difference. Getting montana. Thaks guys
    Yinzer Moto likes this.
  10. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto Sloppy 300 rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    I like the idea of buddy tracking but to do it right, using satellites, would be expensive. On the adventure rides that I have done where buddy tracking would be nice, sometimes we could be 10 miles apart.
  11. tk1250gsa

Oddometer:
    If I have another phone would do that. Already almost broke on hard enduro (was my fault cause I fell lol) IMHO and experience using smart phone is good but eventually break my phone due to vibration and also drop. I can get tough case but my conclusion is just get dedicated gps and don’t take over $1k risk of braking phone. ( used to have picxel 3 as my ride phone but gave to my mom )
  12. tk1250gsa

Oddometer:
    I saw review you need to purchase 24k topo map for routhing? does Garmin provide as free? also saw can purchase road map to do navigate for road use.
  13. Grinnin

Grinnin Forever N00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    I purchased one region of the 24k topo for my Montana. It's not free. I also have Open Street Maps on the Montana. I have used City Navigator North America (road maps) in the past. All of those work fine but each has information that the others lack. Open Street Maps has a lot of errors and omissions in eastern Maine, which can cause big detours in use, but it's getting better. OSM should be better in more popular areas.
  14. ohgood

Oddometer:
    i'll never understand why people buy $1000+ phones.

tough cases and rigid mounts just add vibration and heat to the mix. in falls, they break instead of flexing. flexible mounts with waterproof/ruffed phones are where it's at. an added bonus is the entirety is less than $75.
  15. tk1250gsa

Oddometer:
    I agree with price. Guess want faster better. Everyone different. I personally willing to pay extra for better performance. But as I said everyone has different way of using.
  16. ohgood

Oddometer:
    160mb database... opens in 1 second on a $50 phone, or .5 second on a $1500 phone. i tried to find a difference in performance, but i haven't yet. the CAMERAS are amazing on the new iphones... but for a $1450 difference, not worth it to me. i'll enjoy all the 4k slo-mo selfies that folks take though :-)
  17. tk1250gsa

Oddometer:
    There are a lot other thing than just fast. But if you’re happy with your phone then good !
  18. ohgood

Oddometer:
    OK now I'm really curious... like what ?
  19. tk1250gsa

Oddometer:
    Idk which phone you have but you can’t just compare open one file or app. I use multi tasking many times for work in fastflow. There are certainly differences. I’m not saying $1500 price tag is right amount but it’s not the same with $50 phone I’m very much sure. If you feel same then you don’t need that much performance which is totally fine.
  20. webmonstro

webmonstro A Aventura Continua....

Oddometer:
    Why not just use a 50$ keyocera for navigation only. Keep your Iphone in your pocket protected and you can have the best of both worlds.
    Jedi2Rider and NJDualsporter like this.