Garmin Montana 700i

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by monkd, Jul 30, 2020.

1. monkd

monkd n00b

Oddometer:
    I just saw this in the Bass Pro Shops catalog that came in yesterday. I can't find anything else out about this unit. Has anyone heard of it or know anything about it. Looks like it would solve a couple of problems for me.

I've been using a Zumo 595 for routes and a 66i for tracks/SOS. I just bought a XT to replace my 595 but, I've been waiting for the Touratech mount to install it. This looks like it could replace my 66i on my big bike and my only device on a TBD less than 700 cc bike.

Thanks,

Wes

Attached Files:

2. EmmEff

EmmEff Long timer

Oddometer:
    Interesting... absolutely nothing on Google about this new model.
    CavReconSGT likes this.
  3. markbvt

markbvt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Georgia, Vermont (that's one town, not two states)
    Looks like Bass Pro Shops done fucked up. Guessing info about this unit wasn't supposed to come out for a little while yet.

It's about frigging time though. The current Montanas aren't just long in the tooth, their teeth have fallen out. Glad Garmin is finally updating them... although depending on what the feature set ends up being, it could cost me a lot of money. I've already switched from my Montana to a Zumo XT, but there are certain things I miss about the Montana. If this new one has retained the good things while updating what needed it, I may have to switch back.

--mark
  4. EmmEff

EmmEff Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bring on a whole new set of Garmin firmware bugs and user complaints! :)
    AlH, ohgood and 250senuf like this.
  5. tricky.

tricky. Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is big. It's like the jump from snake 1 to snake 2 all over agin.

[​IMG]

Bring on the additional pixel (s)
    CaseyB and ohgood like this.
  6. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:

holly crap, garmin is finally waking up ?

no way !

ok ok, the initial jdpower excitement is over, let's get some real world reviews started and find out what they screwed the pooch on, this time
  7. markbvt

markbvt Long timer

Oddometer:
    I know, right?

The Zumo XT is actually a surprisingly good unit, so hopefully the new Montana will be too.

--mark
    ohgood likes this.
  8. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS Supporter

Oddometer:
    It's in their 2020 Master Hunting catalog (online and hardcopy). I suspect that this screwup will cost them some Garmin inventory for the next six months - there are usually contractual penalties for early release of marketing info received under NDA.
  9. CavReconSGT

CavReconSGT Just the right amount of evil.

Oddometer:

Yeah. Typically this is the reason that they don't do early release notifications. It tends to dry up all the sales because everyone is waiting for the current product. Especially with something like this. I wouldn't have bought the 396 if I knew about the XT. I was planning on buying the XT next year when a sturdy mount came out by Touratech. Now that I know about this, I won't be buying the XT until I see more about this. I always loved my 600 but thought it was getting a little old. I had done things like added an external Bluetooth transmitter to hear commands through my headset. I love the unit but it needed to be updated. Looking forward to seeing what this offers.

KR
  10. Grinnin

Grinnin Forever N00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    Is that weather displayed on the screen? Wonder if that's weather over Iridium or only when in cell range?

Even if it's just messages over Iridium, it looks like subscription services for regular payments to Garmin.
  11. EmmEff

EmmEff Long timer

Oddometer:
    Probably using the connection to a phone like the Zumo XT does and some of the other handhelds. Still better than no connectivity at all...
  12. DRTBYK

Oddometer:
    I would expect that it is Iridium weather from the inReach Subscription. It doesn't need any cellular connection.

Suppose it could be both Iridium and Garmin Explore App weather. Don't believe Garmin offers 'radar' map data across Iridium. But, maybe they have actually changed...
  13. Cru Jones

Cru Jones USUAL SUSPECT

Oddometer:
    I’m excited about this. I was hoping the XT would combine the inReach service into it, but now that I see this I foresee me selling both my Zumo 595 and inReach SE for this.
  14. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    streaming Pandora over iridium network should be awesome

if you don't mind the buffering like RwalPlayer used to do in 2005 , or the$65,000 monthly bill

lol
  15. DRTBYK

Oddometer:
    No 'streaming' data as these devices all use the Iridium 9602/3 short burst transceivers - the transmissions are rather packet limited.
    CavReconSGT likes this.
  16. Smackit

Smackit Life Is Good Supporter

Oddometer:
    So glad I returned the XT during the 30 day return window. I've been holding off on inReach and GPS updates for a very long time and this is the unit I was hoping for. I wonder if it's going to be Android underneath like the XT, or actually provide a robust feature set for serious enthusiasts?
    CavReconSGT likes this.
  17. CaptCapsize

CaptCapsize Long timer

Oddometer:
    Garmin; Model number = MSRP?
    ohgood likes this.
  18. markbvt

markbvt Long timer

Oddometer:
    My guess is it's using a Bluetooth connection to a phone to download weather radar data, exactly as on the Zumo XT and Oregon 700. I haven't tried it on the Oregon because I haven't examined one, but on the XT, the weather radar cannot be displayed as a layer over the map, only as an animation on a separate screen (basically, it functions as a separate app).

If the new Montana can display it over the map and active route, I'll want one even worse. But I suspect it won't.

I'm curious whether Garmin will also sell a plain Montana 700 that doesn't include the Iridium features.

--mark
    EmmEff likes this.
  19. Smackit

Smackit Life Is Good Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm guessing the weather data may be pulled from both internet data via phone pairing (garmin app) and/or standalone iridium like the inReach. I don't understand why Garmin can't put an eSIM card in their devices, they always have these half ass data systems baked into their products. It's 2020, every device should have integrated WiFi/Bluetooth/Phone features.
  20. EmmEff

EmmEff Long timer

Oddometer:
    if they put a cellular radio in their devices, add another $200 to the price and twice as many firmware issues.