Garmin Montana 700i

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by monkd, Jul 30, 2020.

1. empedrado

empedrado Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    20200910_125707.jpg

Difference GPS276cx and Montana 700i. Both at full brightness. Cloudy day no direct sunlight. Both in powered mount
    mokhtario, Eltjo and ramz like this.
  2. readonly24

readonly24 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This leaves no room for discussion. :nah
  3. empedrado

Oddometer:
    Wonder if Garmin could up the brightness while in a powered mount as a future firmware update. No need to conserve batteries for inReach in a powered mount. This device is awesome other than you can't see it. Bottom line for me anyway is that it is a great inReach device that will serve as a secondary navigation device.
  4. SteveAZ

SteveAZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    That is a bit of a shame - I guess I need to see one in person... it just seems like it ought to be adequate - I almost never use the 276cx on full brightness, I'm usually more around 70% even super sunny day... less ambient and like mentioned you turn it down since it's pretty much a transmissive display... there's not zero transflective value but it's very small and it's all about the backlight
  5. readonly24

readonly24 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My 600 gets brighter when I put it into the AMPS, how about the 700? Can anyone pls check?
  6. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    how about a picture of them both when you're doing 45mph ?

700i= trucking right along
    276cx= I took a left turn in Algeria, I think, maybe, I'm lost !
    mokhtario and readonly24 like this.
  7. SteveAZ

SteveAZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    It most likely only gets brighter because it remembers the both settings for powered and unpowered and it seems you have it running less backlight when unpowered so it gets brighter when you power it

While running on batteries that are reasonably charged and the unit isn't too hot, make sure you turn the backlight up to 100%, then power it (put it in the powered mount) and see if it gets brighter
    readonly24 likes this.
  8. empedrado

Oddometer:
    No difference
    readonly24 likes this.
  9. markbvt

markbvt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Georgia, Vermont (that's one town, not two states)
    In fairness, that photo is a little misleading because the 700i is doing a good job of reflecting the sky. The bezel around the display won't be grey like that if it's angled differently.

But I figured it was a foregone conclusion that a bright TFT display would beat a transflective one on a cloudy day. I wouldn't expect them to compare.

--mark
    Ken in Regina likes this.
  10. phreakingeek

phreakingeek Big Ear Inc - Virginia Provider Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    After progressing from a 600, 650, and currently a 680t...just ordered a 700i. Hopefully it is awesome as all of the previous Montana's I've used and loved for years.
  11. Garry H

Garry H Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The 276cx screen is one of the best Garmin screens i have seen very closely follwed by the Zumo XT
    From my experience the 700i is not even close to the visibility of the 276cx or the XT under most lighting conditions
    As soon as you take the direct sunlight of the 700i it looks very washed out
    And to be honest is quite disappointing
    shu likes this.
  12. DrKayak

DrKayak Retro Rider

Oddometer:
    From my experience using the 700i on my KTM 1290 I have had zero issues with the screen brightness. I'm coming from using an Oregon 650 with no power from the bike so I had the backlight off completely on the Oregon to save battery. I have not even turned up the brightness to 100% on my 700i yet. Guess I'm easy to please. :nod

The AMPS mount is in stock and shipping -

https://www.gpscity.com/garmin-montana-700-series-amps-rugged-mount-with-audio-power-cable
    CaseyB and phreakingeek like this.
  13. Garry H

Garry H Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Coming from an Oregon 650 you will be impressed
    The Oregon 650 screen is crap
    Just don't look at a XT or 276cx then you will never know what you are missing :D
    empedrado and DrKayak like this.
  14. CavReconSGT

CavReconSGT Just the right amount of evil. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hate to even ask this but has anyone seen it compared to a Zumo 396. I love that screen so if its as good or better I am definitely sold.

KR
  15. rider911

rider911 Shortcut Navigator

Oddometer:
    Can anyone acknowledge that the 700 is not compatible with the Garmin TPMS?
    I would have thought any ANT+ accessory would work but maybe not.
    I dont understand why they dropped this from the XT, its an awesome feature.
  16. ConiKost

ConiKost Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Since there is no APP, it's not compatible. Only some older 3xx and 5xx Zumos where compatible.
  17. mbabc

mbabc Curmudgeon trainee

Oddometer:
    I've a 700i on order and it'll arrive in a couple weeks. I also have the AMPS rugged mount (010-12881-08) inbound.

With my 600 on it's rugged mount I cut off the audio cable and data line. I spliced sae power connectors to make switching to my other bikes easier. Even with the 600 car mount, I turned off voice directions and use the tones to tell me when I was approaching a turn.

Since the 700i has blue tooth and I can get turn my turn directions that way through my Sena, I guess I could also cut those wires from the new mount?? Any opinions to share on if that may be a bad idea?? I'm not even sure what the data line was for?

I've read this thread through a couple times and lots to learn.
    CaseyB likes this.
  18. DrKayak

DrKayak Retro Rider

Oddometer:
    I just received the AMPS mount today. There is 36" of wire from the mount to a 2"x3" box then 30" of wire to the fuse for 12v input. As mentioned in another post, the box must convert 12v down to USB 5v. The headphone cable comes out of this box as well and is 30" long.

I too plan to move the setup between 3 bikes and all that wire is a problem for me to store. I'm debating how to set it up. I generally don't like cutting wires but don't need a big bundle of wire to hide. I just need 12" or so power wire with a SAE connector. No plans to ever use the audio or serial.

It's as if it was designed to make a fixed mount the best option so you would buy one for each vehicle.
    Ken in Regina and mbabc like this.
  19. empedrado

Oddometer:
    Work in progress but here is what I am doing:

Simple piece of WalMart $0.88 cutting board cut and mounted between amps mount and Ram Ball:
    20200914_173638.jpg

Note -- This was a test fit piece -- final will be more refined.

In line step down fits on top of this like below:

20200914_173703.jpg

When mounted the 700i covers this converter with plenty of room to spare. Not sure a 700 with the optional AA batteries would work as suspect its profile is deeper, but who needs batteries when on a permanent power supply. Only thing left is to cut the wires down to size and affix the converter with either double sided tape or velcro
    Grinnin, Fiddish, conrado and 2 others like this.
  20. Fiddish

Fiddish Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You mentioned before on page 21 that shortening the cable downstream from the converter required splicing 3 wires. (Gray wire as well as red & black). If black is still ground and gray is now the +5V hot wire, what is the red (+12V?) needed for? Does the InReach portion require +12V? . I was wondering about buying a 12V to 5V converter and having a separate SAE connector (or a 3-wire weatherproof connector, if necessary) sitting next to the one I already have for my Montana 680t.
    I too, will never use voice or data on 3 ATV’s or my SxS.