Garmin Montana 700i

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by monkd, Jul 30, 2020.

1. Garry H

Garry H Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have found the 1:50k maps far better for off road riding than the 1:25k ones in the past
    The 1:50k maps are just better at displaying the rights of way and easier to see at a glance IMHO
    Mav likes this.
  2. Mav

Mav Something witty...

Oddometer:
    I'm leaning that way too. Hope all is good with you Garry - it's been a long time!
  3. BobTheMap

BobTheMap n00b

Oddometer:
    Maybe you folks have already noticed. The wiring cable for the Montana 700 is not interchangeable with the wiring for the earlier units, example 276cx. The pins look the same at first glance but are shifted up or down as compared to earlier AMPS wiring. Additionally the screws that attach the wiring to the mount are displaced up and down. I thought I could reuse the wiring from my 276cx on.my montana 700i. No deal. I now have to rewire all my bikes with 700i specific mount with new style wirimg harness. Disapointed in Garmin. Should have maintained backward compatibility.
    ohgood and hubilado like this.
  4. Pcfly

Pcfly Dude?! Seriously?? Supporter

Oddometer:

So I've gone through most of the thread and I'm trying to play catch up....... I've had a Montana from about when it came out and recently purchased an XT (about a month old) and reading these several posts between the two has got me thinking I should have bought the 700 Montana instead. I guess I'm here asking for more comparison from people that've had the XT and Montana as so far my short time having the XT......its well......ummm.....kinda annoying more then useful. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure there are XT fans and some features are better with it but overall it seems (to me) like the XT is complicated and is trying to bridge some dirt features into a GPS that was used as a street GPS?! I'm no expert at the Montana but I have a good handle on its items.....however on the XT........its all over the place!! I've updated it, the music feature is great when it works along with other things......again when its working correctly. I've had my XT power cycle a few times, its beyond annoying when you're paired with a friend and its giving you directions, it just cuts your friend out of the conversation your having with them....switches them off (paused), gives you directions then its like its counting to five alligator before your back connected to your paired friend!!! OMG its annoying!! Anyone else know what I'm talking about? The items as listed above, mapping items on screen on the Montana are there and you seem to be able to have a sense where they're at a quick glance but the XT doesn't list ANYTHING?! Anyone else have this problem or have a a way to set this up to always display things?

Sorry if this comes across like a rant about the XT as I know its the right GPS for someone but its improved features seem to be overshadowed by frustrating one to me. I guess I'm basically asking for more comparison on the Montana 700 to the XT with anyone here that has experience with both. Thank you for your time.
  5. Ken in Regina

Ken in Regina Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    It sounds like your issues come from the differences in the interface at least as much as the functionality?

I ran into the same thing after a few years with my Montana 600, then Itthought I'd try a Zumo 396. The Zumo 396 has all the functions I need but using them was a real PITA compared to the Montana.

...ken...
    CavReconSGT likes this.
  6. empedrado

empedrado Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a couple Montana's, a Monterra, 276cx, ZumoXT and 700i, I also have a InReach Explorer +. For off road, I rate them as follows (For the way I use them) 276cx by a wide margin, then the Zumo XT, then the Montana. The 700i to me is just a nice inReach device. This of course is because I already have a nice inReach and a 276cx. Why -- It is all about the screen. The 700i would be the top of this list if I could just read it in other than in direct sunlight. The Zumo gets billing because of its screen and the fact I care less about talking to my riding buddies while riding. The 276cx pairs well with my phone and inReach Explorer+. In the event of separation if riding in a group guys can text me and more importantly my wife can get hold of me in an emergency. If the Zumo XT only showed secondary roads better it would top the list. But I ride mainly alone and am constantly looking for new roads to ride. So again it is all about the ability to read the screen. If only I could read the screen of the 700i in indirect sunlight it would top the list, but instead the screen alone drops it to the bottom. Otherwise it has all the features I want and the screen size is perfect.
  7. Garry H

Garry H Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I too have Montana's, a Monterra, 276cx, ZumoXT and 700i
    With the city navigator mapping the XT shows the minor roads better than the 276cx
    The 700i and XT shows the most and will keep the minor roads to 1.1 miles if you zoom out on the screen with your fingers at max detail while the
    276cx only goes to .8 of a mile at max detail
    The screen on the 700i is bright enough for me to read no problem in the powered mount on max brightness but is no match for the XT or the 276cx ( but good enough )
    Get your head around how the XT works and it is a great unit...The XT has the best map redraw performance of the 3 by a long way
    The 276cx is let down by it's slow map redraw performance
    I would pick the XT for road riding ...( and for off road it would be great if it would display the GB Discoverer 1:50k mapping for the UK )...It is also very pocketable
    The 700i for off road due to the poor map performance with the GB Discoverer 1:50k mapping of the 276cx
    Mav likes this.
  8. BAGSTR

BAGSTR One Project a Day

Oddometer:
    Professional Trail Rider, ( Ramz )

Talk to us please about how that larger format 700 is working out on you dashboard please. Kinda’ the only issue holding me back. The 600 is already moving position all the time.

Also thanks for the organized comments
  9. ConiKost

ConiKost Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Touratech responded today, that there are currently no plans for a compatible lockable Montana 700 mount.
  10. simon crewe

simon crewe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In fairness, unlike the Zumo XT it is probable not needed. My old Montana was as solid as a rock in the previous rugged mount, my XT on the other hand felt decidedly flimsy by comparison, until the TT mount arrived.
  11. ConiKost

ConiKost Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Depends. Since I have the 276Cx, it uses the same mount as the old Montana and I wouldn't miss it. Its a pretty good addition.
  12. CavReconSGT

CavReconSGT Just the right amount of evil. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I sure hope they change their mind on that. I have had one for my Montana 600 which was pretty goo. I also have for my 396 which they upgraded and feel that they did a great job on that design. I really want to get one for my 700i when I buy it. That is one of the things I am waiting for to be honest. I don't want a $600 piece of equipment on my bike that some can just walk off with and I'm anal enough that I need to remove it from the bike every time I get off if it isn't somehow attached.

KR
  13. conrado

conrado Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The Garmin mount for the Montana is lockable.
    mokhtario likes this.
  14. CavReconSGT

Oddometer:
    Really? I'll check that out. Not that silly screw, correct?

Thanks,
    KR
  15. conrado

conrado Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Screw, yes. But it prevents someone “just walking off” with the Montana ...
    mokhtario likes this.
  16. SteveAZ

SteveAZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    The screw is as good as the TT lock

If someone is going to steal the device they're just going to rip it off and either mount will only slow them a teeny tiny bit - it's not like they'll bother unscrewing the security torx, they're just going to pry, tear or whatever

To prevent theft, think like a thief...
    krussell and ohgood like this.
  17. CavReconSGT

Oddometer:
    Well kind of. If they want a working unit for themselves or to sell, it has to be working after they get it. Prying out of the TT isn't likely to make for a working unit I don't think. I am aware of the ways crooks think. I am also aware some are rational and others not. The rational ones would want a working unit. Prying out of the TT unit in a rapid fashion would likely not leave anything that is sell-able or usable. I know given enough time, anything can be breached. My hope is to make it inconvenient enough so they don't attempt doing it. You're both correct. The screw just keeps honest people honest. I am looking for a little more than that though. The TT unit and design on the 396 is that.

KR
  18. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    he was being really helpful...

a thief find a sparkplug on the ground and breaks a window with it, steals an electric sawzall, then walls around until they a motorcycle.... and whatever"security mount"you paid big dollar for, is gone
  19. SteveAZ

SteveAZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    If I were to steal one I'd just pry/cut it off mount and all, cut any wires... take seconds and locking in a TT mount will likely make no difference in the time it would take me... like the guys that steal the whole darn safe, not try and break into it... just sayin' that's what I would do since I'd be primarily interested in removing it fast... but then again, good thing I'm not a thief :evil

I like the amps mount for the explicit reason it's so quick to remove the unit from... The 276cx is likely a larger unit but even it fits into just a pant pocket so easily it is *never* left on a bike/moto in a public place...

YMMV
  20. Mav

Mav Something witty...

Oddometer:
    I confess, I assume that a satnav left on the bike is a bit of an invitation for them to try and steal it, regardless of security. So I just stick with the amp unit as it's so easy to mount/remove it, and take the unit off whenever I leave the bike unattended for any amount of time.
    Ken in Regina likes this.