Garmin Montana 700i

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by monkd, Jul 30, 2020.

1. Grinnin

Grinnin Forever N00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    For fuel stops, I just leave my GPS on the bike unless it's a super busy station when I'll put it in a pocket. For lunch, I take the GPS in so I can look at maps of the surroundings to see what's up after lunch.

Today I went to the city of Belfast on the other side of the Penobscot. I tossed my jacket over the GPS and went inside for half an hour. This is typical but sometimes I would toss it in a hard pannier.

I have never used the "security screw" on my Montana 650.

I recall several years ago, an inmate posted about someone vandalizing the screen on their GPS. IIRC, it was a soft screen and was cut. I suppose even Gorilla glass can be vandalized but may just take more effort.
    CavReconSGT likes this.
  2. I82l8

I82l8 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    If my Montana 610 gets stolen I'l have a justification to get a 700 :evil
    conrado and Grinnin like this.
  3. Berin

Berin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks Garry. Does the 700i come with lifetime maps in the UK for either or both of Topo Active and City Navigator?
  4. johnpitts01

johnpitts01 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hoping you folks that have one can answer a key question.
    Can you send tracks, waypoints and routes to the 700i directly from Basecamp and also from the Explore website?

I gave up my Montana 650 @ 1 year ago in favor of inReach explorer SE+ for a number of reasons. While I like the inreach one big disappointment is that an internet connection is required to send routes and waypoints to the device via the Explore website. Seems pretty stupid to me as these devices are designed for people using them in remote areas. The new Montana looks like it can communicate using either Basecamp or Explore. While the unit is pretty darn big for my use the ability to communicate to the device without an internet connection is a significant factor for me. I guess the 66i might also serve my needs. but it's $600! for another $100 I can get the Montana700i
  5. DrKayak

DrKayak Retro Rider

Oddometer:
    Yes, the Montana 700 is completely compatible with Basecamp. I can move tracks and waypoints to it from Basecamp just the same as my Oregon 650.

The problem with your Explorer not working with Basecamp is because it was originally a DeLorme product. Garmin bought DeLorme. The Montana 700 is a Garmin developed GPS.
  6. Sewerat

Sewerat Cert. bike whore

Oddometer:
    New to the 700i. It just showed up this week. So far looking good few new things to learn. But first question would be about screen protection? Should I look for a stick on film or have the screens been proving to be ok?
  7. mbabc

mbabc Curmudgeon trainee

Oddometer:
    General question for the collective.

I just bought a 700i and was wondering about using Basecamp with it AND my Montana 600. If I connect to my PC and open BC will it just see my new 700i as a different device?

I'm also not sure how my current 600 maps downloaded into BC will play with my new 700i. I've lifetime CNNA maps linked to my 600 too.

Anybody using 2 units in Basecamp??
  8. simon crewe

simon crewe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I use a Montana 600 & an Zumo XT in basecamp, the maps for each unit are displayed separately, in my case CN NT & CN NTU. These maps were supplied with the units from new. Not knowing what maps come with the 700i if any, I have no idea if map sets can be swapped from unit to unit. Normally maps that are either downloaded or come with a specific GPS unit, stay locked to that particular unit.
    If however, you have maps on an sd card, I believe that they can be swapped between units, as long as the unit will run them.
    mbabc likes this.
  9. mbabc

mbabc Curmudgeon trainee

Oddometer:
    The 700i comes with Lifetime CN NA. I also have the Lifetime maps for my 8 year old Montana 600. Guess they're identical??
  10. simon crewe

simon crewe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Lifetime maps will only work with the unit they were originally unlocked for. In addition the 'old' series Montana models use CN NT maps, I think the new 700 series models use the later version CN NTU (unicode) maps.
    CavReconSGT and mbabc like this.
  11. Ken in Regina

Ken in Regina Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have 5 different units that I use in Basecamp (and Garmin Express and Mapsource). Basecamp doesn't care how many different units you use with it. It only deals with one at a time anyway.

City Navigator products are always locked. If they came on the device, they're locked to that device. If they came on an SD card, they're locked to the card. If you have multiple devices or are planning to replace a device with a newer one at some point, the SD card has an advantage that it can be used on multiple devices (one at a time, of course). You cannot use the City Navigator that's locked to one unit on a different unit.

When you connect a device to Basecamp, it will look to see if it has an official Garmin mapset, like City Navigator, installed on it. If it sees one, it loads it into Basecamp from the unit so you have access to it within Basecamp. This can take awhile when you connect the device, but it ensures that you can use your maps for planning in Basecamp.

You can get around this map loading from the device by installing the maps into Basecamp. The next time you connect the device to Garmin Express to update the maps, don't just blindly hit the update button. Look around for a link to use different update options, select it and select the option to load the new maps to both the device and the PC. That way, you can use those maps for planning in Basecamp any time, even without the device connected. You still cannot load them to a different device. ... Well, you can but it's a complete waste of time because the device won't use them if they're locked to a different one.

Any maps that have been installed directly into Basecamp will play nice for planning purposes with any unit connected, or even with no unit connected. If the maps are not locked, you can install them into any unit. If they are locked, they are only usable in the unit they're locked to.

...ken...
    CavReconSGT and mbabc like this.
  12. Ken in Regina

Oddometer:
    They are identical as far as the actual map content. As @simon crewe said, the ones on the 700i may be using the newer NTU format. That format does not affect the content; just the way they're compressed for storage on the device.

...ken...
    mbabc and simon crewe like this.
  13. mbabc

mbabc Curmudgeon trainee

Oddometer:
    Thanks folks. Great information
  14. Berin

Berin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ken just to clarify, are there any differences apart from compression between NT and NTU - like junction view, etc? Thanks,
  15. Ken in Regina

Oddometer:
    I'm sorry, I was being a bit simplistic. It's almost certainly a bit more than just the compression alone. I'm sure that if they were bothering to change the storage/delivery format they will have looked at other aspects of the storage/delivery format for opportunities to optimize it.

I haven't done any content review. Nor have I looked at the specs. Garmin gets their map data from Navteq. It doesn't seem to make a lot of sense to then split the data into two different versions of the same product and all the extra maintenance that would require.

Are you seeing differences in junction view between the same (numeric) version of NT and NTU installed on the same unit?

...ken...
  16. Ken in Regina

Oddometer:
    Oops, I'm so used to referring to the map data provider as Navteq that I constantly forget it's called HERE now.

...ken...
  17. Ken in Regina

Oddometer:
    Okay, rather than speculate and mislead based on my increasingly rotten memory, I decided to do a little checking:

'The "U" stands for Unicode and is only for Garmin devices that support it.'

To clarify, the NT version primarily supports Latin characters. That limits how well they can support some markets due to variations in computer character sets needed to support those languages.

The NTU version supports Unicode. From Wikipedia:

"Unicode is an information technology (IT) standard for the consistent encoding, representation, and handling of text expressed in most of the world's writing systems. The standard is maintained by the Unicode Consortium, and as of March 2020, there is a repertoire of 143,859 characters, with Unicode 13.0 (these characters consist of 143,696 graphic characters and 163 format characters) covering 154 modern and historic scripts, as well as multiple symbol sets and emoji. ..."

A "script" is all the characters needed to express a particular language in human readable form.

Now we know.

...ken...
    CavReconSGT likes this.
  18. mbabc

mbabc Curmudgeon trainee

Oddometer:
    This has been discussed but a little clarification please.

Getting ready to install the new rugged mount for my 700i. Can I cut the audio plug cable and then the yellow, blue and green wires? I don't need those I believe as I'll use my bt Sena for the rare times I'll need tbt voice directions.

The green one is a serial ground so not sure about that one.
  19. hubilado

hubilado Motoquiero Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Red/Blk are all that I used....after adding one of these.
    phreakingeek likes this.
  20. CavReconSGT

CavReconSGT Just the right amount of evil. Supporter

Oddometer:
    BogeyMan likes this.