Garmin Montana 700i

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by monkd, Jul 30, 2020.

1. SteveAZ

SteveAZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    In the past nearly all the garmin units intended for vehicle power took 9-36V at the unit - while I understand it's not just the step-down that's needed to interface to vehicle power (transient protection is required too!) it is well understood how to incorporate in the unit and IMO a far more desirable approach

oh well
    Ken in Regina, ramz, hubilado and 2 others like this.
  2. matteo10

matteo10 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Here the photo previously uploaded ...
    [​IMG]
    eddyturn, CavReconSGT, Mav and 2 others like this.
  3. ramz

ramz Professional Trail Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    If the 276Cx ever gets iR, I'll buy it.

:ricky
    gwhis, EmmEff and krussell like this.
  4. empedrado

empedrado Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You can tether your phone and inReach to the 276cx.

Other than the dang screen really, really like the 700i. My next project maybe to find a way to shine some kind of small led light on the screen to see if the visuals can be improved when not in direct sunlight. Thoughts include a momentary handlebar mount switch for the light. Once the weather changes will explore this idea more.
  5. EmmEff

EmmEff Long timer

Oddometer:
    If the 276Cx ever gets a modern processor, I’ll buy it :)
  6. mbabc

mbabc Curmudgeon trainee

Oddometer:
    STLR likes this.
  7. Mav

Mav Something witty...

Oddometer:
    Would be interesting to see a Montana 6xx in this picture. Always thought that screen wasn't particularly great. If the 700 is better than the 6xx, that would be good enough
    CavReconSGT likes this.
  8. Grinnin

Grinnin Forever N00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    See pic in this post and the one following:

https://advrider.com/f/threads/garmin-montana-700i.1459494/page-20#post-40793345

Shows the 700 in both shade and direct sun.

Interesting that the pics by @matteo10 have the 700i looking washed out where the pics by @ramz the 700i looks more saturated. Could easily be what's behind the photographer.
    mokhtario and Mav like this.
  9. markbvt

markbvt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Georgia, Vermont (that's one town, not two states)
    Matteo's pic has the Montana showing a very nice reflection of the sky. It's definitely not that washed out in reality.

--mark
    Grinnin likes this.
  10. Grinnin

Grinnin Forever N00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good to know. Thanks.

Even the black area around the screen looks washed out in the matteo10 pics where that area looks black on the other garmin there.
  11. Smackit

Smackit Life Is Good Supporter

Oddometer:
    I finally got a chance to use my Montana 750i for a long ride today. The screen looks fantastic in bright sunlight, not so fantastic when the sun isn't shining on it. Still perfectly usable, but I expected better from Garmin in 2020. Very similar to my Fenix 6 watch.... it's like the product development team went outside in the sun and claimed victory before ever trying the devices in other conditions.
    hubilado likes this.
  12. Garry H

Garry H Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I agree the 700i is still perfectly usable but far from outstanding
    I don't understand why Garmin keep missing the mark on what could have been killer units
    The 276cx with dreadful map draw performance and now the 700 series with a poor screen and still very slow compared to a cheap smart phone:dunno
  13. hubilado

hubilado Motoquiero Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah, we're using it, but in 2020 should we be satisfied with a $700+ device as "still usable"? Come on Garmin, time to up your game!
    krussell likes this.
  14. readonly24

readonly24 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I would really like to upgrade my 600, it's slow, it's dull, it's small, but I won't spend 800 € (incl. AMPS) for the 700, it's not that good.
    EmmEff and Ken in Regina like this.
  15. markbvt

markbvt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Exactly. It is actually black, not grey. Here's a quick Photoshop update to Matteo's image that shows a more accurate comparison.

By the way, the most recent firmware update adds a corner data fields dashboard as seen on the 276. Finally!

--mark

Attached Files:

CavReconSGT and mbabc like this.
  16. SteveAZ

SteveAZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    I dunno - either buy one or don't

My biggest complaint with garmin's business practices is the abysmal documentation which makes it much more difficult to more fully understand a device before purchasing it although there's been enough thrashing the unit in this thread for me to have a pretty good idea about it

FWIW I'm not intending to get one
  17. Garry H

Garry H Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    All it needs now is next turn pop up when navigating like the 276cx
    This is a feature i use a lot when navigating on the 276cx
    That and a translucent route line like the old 276 had that would be very nice too
  18. empedrado

empedrado Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    And of course a screen you can read as easily as the 276cx

Just realized that on the weather page you can get wind speeds -- really nice in our neck of the woods. Interestingly the Zumo XT does not have this same feature
  19. markbvt

markbvt Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've barely used my XT since the mount for my Montana came in, and to be honest, the screen brightness isn't turning out to be much of an issue. Sure, the bright screen from the XT would be nice, but the Montana's screen is not problematic. And in direct sunlight, it beats the XT.

In a perfect world, Garmin would increase the backlight brightness on the Montana and add in a few of the XT's road-friendly features, such as the very convenient up-ahead functions, but as it is, the 700 series is turning out to be a very good unit. For my purposes at least.

--mark
    mbabc and Exurban like this.
  20. ramz

ramz Professional Trail Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Recently, maybe 8-10 days ago, I was reading the Firmware topic in the GPSrChive Montana 7x0 document ( https://www.gpsrchive.com/Montana 7x0/ ) and found this:

Wireless Updates

While connected to the internet via an active Wi-Fi connection, the Montana 7x0 will periodically check for and download firmware updates seamlessly in the background. Once completed, the Montana 7x0 will prompt the user to install the firmware update at the next power-on event.

How remarkable, I thought, that Garmin was finally entering the new world of WiFi. So I turned on WiFi on my 700i and waited to see what would happen. I was hoping to see an update to 6.30/6.40, but nothing happened while I left the 700i on for about an hour. Then, upon re-reading, I noticed " the Montana 7x0 will prompt the user to install the firmware update at the next power-on event.". So I turned the 700i off, and then back on, and NOTHING.

I thought about the update to 6.30/6.40 that a person outside the USA had done, and decided that we US users were probably being held back because Garmin was doing a staggered release. So I let a few days pass, and tried the same process as above. NOTHING.

I did this again Saturday evening (Oct 24), but I forgot to restart the 700i after I had left it connected to WiFi about 4 hours. This morning, Sunday Oct 25, after watching Lewis Hamilton win his 92nd F1 race and set a new world record for most wins in F1, I turned on the 700i and WHAT!!! The screen showed a message something like Software Update available, click to install. So I clicked and WOW, version 6.40 was installed; took about 3 minutes.

I have not checked the 700i to see specific evidence of the install, other than to check the About app in Setup. It shows Software Version 6.40 (f31eede). No other software/firmware changes are noted.

I am delighted at the painless install; I have NEVER been able to get Garmin Express to update anything since I've owned the 700i.

Here's hoping others will have a successful install of 6.40.

EDIT
    Here's Garmin's announcement:
    https://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=15403

Garmin Express sees this update, but I don't have to chance it because of the update via WiFi I already did.

Final note: On Garmin's announcement page I see:

System requirements
    IBM-compatible PC running Windows 2000 or later operating system and an available USB port.

There is no specification for Macs, so I guess that is why Express has never worked for me; I use an iMac. :bash
    Stupid, Stupid, Stupid.

:ricky