Garmin Montana

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by AugustFalcon, May 18, 2011.

1. Rocky TFS

Rocky TFS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not me! But then, I'm more conservative than....than.....Barry....Strom.....Nelson.....Dick.....Ronald......Calvin? Oh, that's right, you're Canadian...probably never heard of any of those guys....:imaposer

I only want my tripmeter to read zero, I don't care about the odometer as I never look at it.
  2. Emmbeedee

Emmbeedee Procrastinators

Oddometer:
    Let me guess.

Dave Barry, Wee Strom, Admiral Nelson, Dick and Jane, Ronald McDonald, Calvin and Hobbes. I know my American trivia!

There's a world of difference between the factory reset on a Montana vs something like a 60CSx. The reset on the Montana is very non destructive to user data and settings but on the 60, it totally wipes the device.

I'm convinced Garmin meant the Montana reset to be used as often as necessary while not causing any real problems for having done so.

Re the odometer, it's of no real use if you can't reset it, so if it takes a non destructive factory reset to reset the odometer, then that's what I do.

Sent using strings and tin cans and Tapatalk.
  3. Rocky TFS

Oddometer:
    Not bad! But Dave Barry isn't much of a conservative.....at least he doesn't write like one.....shoulda replaced him with Rush. :lol2
  4. Rocky TFS

Oddometer:
    Well, karma rides again....I just managed to do a master reset on the Montana by mistake. I had forgotten that you should not touch the screen during boot up, but mine was dusty and so I took a towel and water to it. Even though I pressed cancel it went ahead and reset anyway. BUT, I learned something new. We have all been complaining for years about the lack of a global reset of tracks to show on map or hide on map. If you do a master reset, ALL the tracks get set back to hide on map! So as penance I had to reset every one of my 40 or so tracks to show on map, one by one. :bluduh
  5. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    This hiding all the tracks happens to me about once a month for reasons I have no clue of. I tried to do a master reset a couple of days ago and totally failed. I might try again tomorrow if I am still having problems connecting the unit to a computer.

I had a great ride to day at a place called Snake Creek and Trout Valley in SE Minnesota, my first trail-ish ride here. I hope I can save my tracks. Or else I guess I can just make them Favorites.
  6. Grimreaper7

Grimreaper7 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    For UK members...
    Found a pricing mistake on BurrowsGPS.co.uk that results in the Marine mount being sold for £33.99 while the basic AMPS mount is on sale for £39.99 (free shipping on both). That's a good price whichever way you look at it.
    I ordered one last week and sure enough, the marine mount turned up, disassembled it to remove the bit I didn't need and bolted the remaining AMPS mount onto my RAM mount.
    Just ordered another one for the car.
  7. biker128pedal

biker128pedal Super Lurker

Oddometer:
    I had the same thing happen last week using the 610 on my Mountainbike. It also zoomed all the way out. I saw 500m and thought 500ft. With Topo 100 maps selected the screen was white. I thought it was broken until I zoomed in. :doh Really like the ability to show and hide previous tracks. It helps me put together loops to ride.
  8. guavadude

guavadude Dirt Nap Enthusiast

Oddometer:
    I highly recommend the Screen Patronus screen protector. It's very thin and reduces the glare. I also recommend putting it on as soon as you peel the plastic off the unit.
  9. oldmopars

oldmopars Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If anyone is looking for a new Montana, Cabelas has the 610T Camo on sale for $369.99. This is a heck of a deal as normal price is over $500. ($549.99 List price) Just got mine last night, now to learn to use it.
  10. seasider

seasider Just a rider

Oddometer:
    Anyone have the issue of the unit going to the static screen you woulduse to mark a spot for a waypoint when you slow down to a crawl or stop situation.
    Clears right away after hitting the back arrow but continues to happen.
    All the recent updates have been installed and began before I did that as well.
  11. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    Does this happen mostly on sunny days? Screen protectors can have that effect in hot weather.

12. seasider

seasider Just a rider

Oddometer:
    I havent noticed that to be the case but will pay attention from here out. I have had a screen protector on from day one and its going on close to four years of use with this occuring in the last couple months.
  13. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    The older the protector, the more likely it is to have that effect.

If you cover the gps when stopped, it won't happen. I often put my helmet over it.

14. seasider

seasider Just a rider

Oddometer:
    Ok Thanks. New protector will go on and I will see how that works.
  15. River-Runner

River-Runner Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Tried to Search for Setting up user defined Dashboard - no good results.

I'm coming off a 64 series Garmin and I could set up a Dashboard layered over whatever map I was showing. The setup routine would ask how many boxes I want and then how to fill the boxes with the item I wanted. I could have for example - time, altitude, battery level, speed, trip odometer, etc.

Could some kind soul tell me where I can find the directions to do this on the Montana? The manual doesn't help.......

Is a user defined dashboard possible on the Montana?
  16. SteveAZ

SteveAZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Set the dashboard to "Small data fields" for four user defined fields and "Large data fields" for two. You can set the fields to anything you want but four's the limit on how many you can show...
  17. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I got to a point where Garmin Serial interface worked pretty reliably but Garmin Spanner wouldn't. My analytical skills said this meant it was probably a software problem. I never could get Master Resets to work. So I just downloaded some new firmware. I figured this would effectively do a Master Reset. Now everything works.

On an interesting note I used Garmin Express to get the new firmware. They also sent me a copy of the latest version of City Navigator. I have never purchased lifetime updates. I started getting new versions of CN after I sent a broken unit in for a refurbished one.
  18. River-Runner

River-Runner Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks Steve,

I changed the dashboard often on the 64 & 62 series but the 680 instructions don't address the steps in detail. I can't find the menu options for example to change the number of boxes or the contents of the boxes......

Garmin's own Dashboard video does not address the 2nd or 3rd level menu's.

RR
  19. Grinnin

Grinnin Forever N00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    To choose a dashboard format on the Montana, go to Setup, then Map, then Dashboard.

If you choose Large Data Fields or Small Data Fields and you want to change what info is displayed in one of the boxes, touch that box and the Montana will display a list of fields you can put there. It's a pretty big list. (It first displays a list of categories of fields, but one category is All Fields.)
  20. SCflyer

SCflyer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Help with "ghost tracks" on 650T...I had deleted several tracks I had on the internal memory but there are about 5 that are still shown. I go to the menu that has "View on map, reverse, archive etc but when I push delete, the button lights up showing I chose it but does nothing, sorta like it locks up for a second. When I plug in the unit to my laptop and look up the tracks there aren't any there. Ones I had I did have to use mapsource to see them (Had a trailrider/trailleader icon on them but would only open with mapsource. Suggestions? - Thanks