Garmin Montana

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by AugustFalcon, May 18, 2011.

1. MJS

MJS Long timer

Oddometer:
    Pull the SD card and try again. Doing the reset will enable all of the maps by default.

My Montana will hang sometimes while loading maps. OSM maps make this worse since they seem to have more detail in them. I always try and run the minimum number of maps and disable any that are not necessary for my current trip. BWOE, on my current ride (Germany, Czech, Poland, Ukraine, Russia, Kazakhstan, Mongolia) I started with a separate map for each country and only enable the map for our current destination. Once done with a country I deleted that map from the SD card.

Also, you can / should check your maps with JaVaWa for issues.
  2. Emmbeedee

Emmbeedee Procrastinators

Oddometer:
    It only screws up profiles if you modify the originals. You're better off creating copies of a profile and working on the copies. That way a reset will not affect your customised profile.
    JMartin likes this.
  3. AppliedMotion

AppliedMotion Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Third time is a charm. That got me back to familiar territory. Thanks for the advice everyone!
  4. jof062

jof062 n00b

Oddometer:
    Has anyone worked out how to turn off the annoying red pin drop when scrolling maps?
  5. baiku

baiku Manaical Engineer

Oddometer:
    When the pin is dropped, there's an entry bar at the top of the screen. You can tap the bar to navigate to the pin, or press the gray "X" at the right to delete the pin. Using a deliberate finger swipe when scrolling can prevent the pin drop. Touch-drag-release. I found that rushing it often drops the pin.
  6. ADW

ADW 'tard bike restos

Oddometer:
    You need to push harder onto the screen to have it "know" that you're pressing and going to drag. Just tapping the screen generates the pin.
    Szepy and wbbnm like this.
  7. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    +1 As you start to scroll keep your finger on the screen for about a second before removing it. I think the trick is duration rather than hardness.
  8. Szepy

Szepy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes, don't forget Montana displays are not capacitive like the phones nowadays. More pressure is needed for proper operation. On the other hand they're working in every condition and regardless whether you are using any kind of gloves, etc.
  9. jof062

jof062 n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys will change my technique and see how i go.
  10. BergDonk

BergDonk Old Enough to Know Better

Oddometer:
    I find my Montanas need less pressure than my phones, Apple and Samsung.
    wbbnm likes this.
  11. markbvt

markbvt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Georgia, Vermont (that's one town, not two states)
    So here's a weird one: my Montana hates Pennsylvania.

It's usually trouble-free. But for some reason, every time I ride through Pennsylvania, it freezes up at least once or twice a day. To revive it I have to pull it out of the powered mount and pull the battery, then as soon as it's finished rebooting, stop navigation on the current route.

This hardly ever happens anywhere else, but it happens pretty much daily if I'm in Pennsylvania. And it's happened with several different versions of City Navigator, so if it's a data error, it's a pervasive one.

:dunno

--mark
    Yinzer Moto likes this.
  12. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    Not sure what's causing your lockups but you should rarely need to pull the battery out on a Montana to recover from a lockup. Just hold the power button in for 10-15 seconds. If the first long push doesn't restart it, try again. Back when lockups were fairly common, I was convinced that pulling the battery left something that made lockups more likely, like a corrupt file or something else.
  13. I82l8

I82l8 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a Montana for the motorcycle and a Nuvi with lifetime maps for the car.
    Is there a way I can put the latest Nuvi maps on my Montana?
    Thanks.
  14. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:

Nope. They are locked to your Nuvi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  15. I82l8

I82l8 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Damn, thanks, thought so. Any way around that? I installed the map on my HD to use in Basecamp.
  16. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    Yeah, buy a set for the Montana. They're not expensive.
    Timmer likes this.
  17. markbvt

markbvt Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'll give that a try, but the freezes I'm experiencing aren't complete lockups, the map screen just freezes and track stops recording. I can still go back to the main menu, turn the Montana on and off, etc, but going back to the map screen just brings me back to the frozen screen. Also, stopping the route doesn't have any effect; if I shut off and pull battery, the route is still being navigated when the unit boots back up.

I haven't tried doing a proper reset when this happens, though I probably should. I'll try the long power button push sometime to see if that does the trick.

On another topic... has anyone heard any news or rumors of a new Montana model to bring it up to date with the Oregon 700 series? The 600/610 platform is getting pretty long in the tooth; it would be really nice to have the feature set of the Oregon 700 series, particularly weather radar overlay. I've been tempted to just get a 276Cx, but if Garmin comes out with a Montana 700 soon, I'd prefer to keep the touch screen interface...

--mark
  18. CavReconSGT

CavReconSGT Just the right amount of evil.

Oddometer:
    That is nice feature but that type of thing is only useful, the radar overlay, if you have some kind of wifi/data signal I assume? From your phone?

That isn't of much use where I ride.

KR
  19. markbvt

markbvt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, GPS connects to phone via Bluetooth and downloads weather radar data through the phone's data connection. Obviously relies on cell service, so it won't do me any good if I'm riding in Canada, but it'll work in most of the US.

--mark
    CavReconSGT likes this.
  20. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    Even if they did nothing but add Bluetooth to the Montana, I'd update mine. That wouldn't necessarily give me weather, but it would be useful.