Garmin Montana

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by AugustFalcon, May 18, 2011.

1. Ogre_fl

Ogre_fl Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, sadly the reset didn't help.
    It still freezes up.

I guess its just wore out.
  2. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't know if it is possible, but you might consider going back to an older version of the firmware. These freeze ups kind of sound like a bug in newer firmware.

I say that because I haven't updated firmware in years and do not have the problems on my 600.

You used to be able to get a refurb unit for $180. I did that when I ran over my original one with my truck.
    Grinnin likes this.
  3. Ogre_fl

Ogre_fl Long timer

Oddometer:
    I dont think I have done any updates in years either.
    No clue why it started having issues.
  4. Riteris

Riteris Dessert Runner

Oddometer:
    A place many ADV Riders fear: The Nation's Capital
    You might want to try the update.

If it does not work, you might need to run it over with your truck and buy a refurb.
    wbbnm likes this.
  5. TinMan207

TinMan207 Most often a lurker... Supporter

Oddometer:
    See if this helps...

https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?faq=go5KxAipPX5nNaxdzwLcaA

according to "garmin express" I have done all the available updates (it have been a long while since they have paid any attention to the Montana) and have no lock-up issues, so I ASSUME that the lock-ups are not related to any new software updates.

The piece that I thought was interesting was that IF you have an SD card in your unit, it could have bad data and could lock your unit. Test this by removing the SD card...
    Ogre_fl and Grinnin like this.
  6. Grinnin

Grinnin Forever N00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    My Montana lockups can be traced to the data. That doesn't mean that the firmware SHOULD be locking up, only that simpler map data doesn't seem to lead to lockups.

The firmware on my Montana today was out-of-date years ago, but it works fine for me.
    Ogre_fl likes this.
  7. SteveAZ

SteveAZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    +1 on user data potentially causing the issue - seen it

Clean out *all* the .gpx's, reorganize/recreate them, then reintroduce
    Ogre_fl likes this.
  8. ramz

ramz Professional Trail Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    You could use JaVaWa Device Manager to check your Montana. I've used it over the years to find corrupt data which caused various Garmin GPS receivers to hang up or turn off. It's donate-ware; free, but you can donate (see the donate box).

https://www.javawa.nl/jdm_en.html

[​IMG]

I just ran it, and found this error:

[​IMG]

Works on MacOS High Sierra 10.13.6 and Windoze.

:ricky
    Ken in Regina likes this.
  9. Ken in Regina

Ken in Regina Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks @ramz. I've been using Marco's utilities for years. I've got my GPS stuff on a new computer and forgot to load up the JaVaWa utilities. After reading your post I installed Device Manager and did a check on my devices. Found and cleaned up a couple of minor things. I don't know it they work so well on the MAC OS any more but everything still works like a champ in Windows.

...ken...
  10. JMartin

JMartin Tres Libras

Oddometer:
    Is there a way to use the stopwatch without it chopping my recorded track up every time I stop and reset it?
    At the request of my riding buddies, I now have the stopwatch running at the top of my map screen. When an hour has elapsed I pull over to give the others a break. I then stop it, reset, and start it up again when we take off. When I get home and download the day's tracks, I have a series of track segments divided up by when I restarted the stopwatch. Yes, I can join and clip, but having one recorded track was simpler.
    Thanks,
    Jay
  11. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hmmm. I never would have thought the stopwatch would affect track creation. But I guess it is not unreasonable.

IMHO if there is no way around this, I would just kind of guess at the time interval for breaks rather than screw up my tracks.

I display current time on my dashboard, so stopping every hour would not be that hard. Plus we usually like to take breaks at nice spots when available.
  12. JMartin

JMartin Tres Libras

Oddometer:
    I used to do that but would soon forget when we last started out. That's why I was asked to use the stopwatch. Jay
  13. Ogre_fl

Ogre_fl Long timer

Oddometer:
    Does anyone else Montana make an alarm/screech sound when swapping between Motorcycle and Automotive profiles when you have a route active?
  14. Riteris

Riteris Dessert Runner

Oddometer:
    A place many ADV Riders fear: The Nation's Capital

Thanks for this suggestion. I have been wanting to use this software for a while. I finally got to it yesterday.

The software did find several corrupt files. Hopefully, that was the issue.

Unfortunately, I do not see any long trips in the near future. So, I have no way of knowing if this solved the issue.
  15. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think mine beeps whenever it feels the need to recalculate a route. I have different preferences set for auto and mc and so a new route would be called for.

But I don't use routing enough to be real confident of my memory. Predominantly tracks.
  16. Anders-

Anders- 690R

Oddometer:
    It also beeps before upcoming turns and such (unless mounted with speaker connected).
  17. Ogre_fl

Ogre_fl Long timer

Oddometer:
    I guess I should have also noted I have tones "off".
    It makes no beeps and such for turns nor does it make any sounds when it does normal route recalculations within any of the profiles.
    Its only swapping between the Auto and Moto profiles and only when a route is active.

This is not a nice beep, its a screechy sound.
    My wife was like "WFT did you do?, Did you break it?" when it first did it.
  18. Anders-

Anders- 690R

Oddometer:

Sounds bad, I've only ever heard regular beeps from my montanas, otoh I've never tried switching profiles while routing.

I'd put a ring of salt around the gps before going to bed, just to be on the safe side... :lol3
  19. Ken in Regina

Ken in Regina Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I discovered an interesting/annoying thing on my Montana this morning. I was riding out of town to meet a couple of friends for a ride and a takeout burger. I figured I would fire up a route there just to have the distance/time remaining on the screen .. mostly for amusement. I had done the same thing a couple of weeks ago so I hit the search icon and the Recent Finds selection. When I selected that town and hit GO, I got an error that told me, essentially, that it couldn't follow the roads on the map so the route would be wrong.

I've spent the past half hour trying to figure out what happened. Long story eliminated, I changed maps on the Montana a few days ago. If I selected any town in my Recent Finds I got the error. If I did a fresh CITY search for the same town name and did a route with the new selection it worked fine.

MORAL: Whenever you change routable maps on the Montana, delete the Recent Finds list and save yourself some heartburn.

...ken...
    flybynite and BergDonk like this.
  20. Grinnin

Grinnin Forever N00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sounds good, but I suspect it is more complex than that.

I change routable maps fairly frequently and all the Recent Finds work fine.

I did have all my Recent Finds fail when I cleaned a bunch of old tracks off the unit and cleaned off language files I'll never use. When my Recent Finds all failed, I was using the same maps I'd had on the Montana for a couple of months. Then a couple of months later, I updated CNNA, and my (newer) Recent Finds are all fine.