Garmin Montana

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by AugustFalcon, May 18, 2011.

1. Ken in Regina

Ken in Regina Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've been tracking fuel and maintenance costs for all my vehicles for as long as I can remember. Like you, I'm not quite sure why. But I find it interesting to be able to see a complete history of both; to be able to compare between vehicles, and to be able to compare between different types of trips.

The last couple of years I've been using an Android app called Fuelio. It has some nice reporting and charting features.

If I'm in no great rush I just pull away from the pump and put the info into the app at the time. If I need to roll quickly, I use my phone to snap pics of the pump and the odometer and sort it out later. I carry the phone in a chest pocket in my jacket and there is a magic power button/volume button sequence on my phone that puts it straight into camera mode.

Yeah, I know ... way to much information. :johntm

...ken...
  2. TwoUpTourer

TwoUpTourer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hehehe, could mention OCD but I'm too polite to say so...
    I spent 25 years as a sysadmin managing among other things storage capacity, with most staff oblivious to the effects of what they upload, being beyond their ken to absorb. My millionaire brother rings me in a rage because his printer has defaulted to OneNote or PDF and he can't fix it so spending on big capacity cards by some is entirely understandable by me.
    Ken in Regina and BergDonk like this.
  3. Grinnin

Grinnin Forever N00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm all for big cards. I have 128GB in a phone.

I just wanted to show how specious that argument is.
  4. seasdes

seasdes Adventurer

Oddometer:
    An observation of mine.
    The Montana and GPS64s both shut down randomly and without warning when using OpenStreet Maps for navigation on the road. After a lot of stuffing around, trying different file locations as well as returning the Montana I have found that the only way to avoid this shutting down is to only use the Garmin maps.
    Anyone else find this?
    If this remains so for the long term there is nothing keeping me loyal to the Garmins. I might as well use TomTom with their proprietry maps or use a mobile phone App like Kurviger or TomTom.
  5. Grinnin

Grinnin Forever N00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have had a couple of shutdowns while using Garmin maps and a few more with 3rd-party trail maps.

Reading the reports on this thread over the years, I get the impression that some people have them, some don't, and they can have a wide variety of causes or at least a wide variety of things different people notice about the shutdowns.

I haven't noticed any shutdowns while using OSM, but that could be because I don't use OSM that often since OSM is still pretty error-prone in the area where I live.

I had charging problems yesterday with the phone I sometimes use for GPS. All the parts have worked in the past (phone, USB outlet, cable) but I haven't used this exact combination on the bike. I couldn't recover during the ride so went back to the old ways of route finding -- get lost until I come out on a major road I can identify. The Montana shutdowns have all been resolved in about 2 minutes.
  6. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Are you talking about apparent power-loss shutdowns or screen freezes? Both seem to occur. If screen freezes, do you do the battery removal reset?

I have had almost no problems with either of these in 8 years.
  7. Ken in Regina

Oddometer:
    I have had my refurbished Montana for 5 years or so and many thousands of miles. I have not experienced any kind of shutdown or freeze with any maps - Garmin, OSM, or others.

...ken...
  8. seasdes

seasdes Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The GPS actually shuts down. When I restart the Montana and start the Map screen the existing route continues. With the GPS64s I have to reselect the route and start again.
  9. BergDonk

BergDonk Old Enough to Know Better

Oddometer:
    My main W10 PC doesn't identify my Montanas when I plug them in.

Both my 600 and 610 are set to Spanner mode and when booting after a USB cable is plugged in, offer the Mass Storage option to which I accept with Yes. This has always worked, with Windows finding them and Basecamp likewise.

It still works on my little Asus T100 'traveller', but not on my big machine.

I'm assuming a Windows update has caused this. Anyone else had this happen? Any suggestions on what to try next? How can I reestablish comms?
  10. TinMan207

TinMan207 Most often a lurker... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Look here.

https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?faq=jAD9zCOUod0dDU55paUE99

Sounds like something broke with the "garmin drivers". I honesty don't remember if I had to do it manually or if windows knew where to get the drivers when I got the "new" computer but I have had to look for drivers for other devices that didn't talk to Windows... And I have had to re-install drivers in the past for "updates"
    BergDonk and wbbnm like this.
  11. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I noticed my Montana did not hook up properly last time I hooked it up. It has happened before. I have always ignored it and it eventually goes away.

Actually I thought the problem might have to do with not properly ejecting the SD card when removing the unit.
    It takes a long time for the ejecting to work, and the message saying it worked only appears for a few seconds.

Sometimes I just assume it happened. And I get complaints next time I hook it up.
  12. deserteagle56

deserteagle56 deserteagle56

Oddometer:
    No idea why anyone is having trouble with Windows 10 and their Montana. I've had my Montana plugged into my Windows 10 desktop several times in the past couple weeks. It is recognized instantly and it ejects instantly when asked to do so. But then I've been delaying the latest Windows 10 updates for a few weeks now so maybe that has something to do with it.
  13. Ken in Regina

Oddometer:
    My desktop is right up to date. I had the Montana 600 plugged in 3 days ago and it worked fine.

...ken...
  14. BergDonk

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the link. Unfortunately, installing it makes no difference this end. Its been going on for a week or more and likely associated with a W10 auto update. Not travelling means I haven't been using it much, so not sure when the problem actually started. It is consistent in not recognising either of my Montanas and have undertaken numerous reboots etc.
  15. SteveAZ

SteveAZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Look at the device manager and see what it does when you plug it in and let it go to USB mode
  16. BergDonk

Oddometer:
    Nothing.

My MO is with the Montana turned off, and comms/interface previously set to Spanner, plug the USB cable into it. It starts to boot and offers the option Yes/No for Mass Storage Mode. Selecting Yes, the Montana goes to Mass Storage accordingly, but the PC doesn't identify it in any way, and therefore nor does Basecamp. It used to work fine this way, and still does on my other travelling ultrabook PC. Selecting serial instead of Spanner makes no difference.
  17. Brek81

Brek81 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    i had asked a while ago about intermittent signal loss.

i opened up the Montana, nothing was loose. still had issues.. updated, and haven't had issues in about 1k miles. (i still dont 'trust' it yet)

not saying it was the solution, just adding a data point
  18. TinMan207

Oddometer:
    Troubleshooting mode - apologies if any of this seems basic, no insult is intended:

ok, so the ultrabook working suggests to me that the GPS is probably not the problem.

I assume that you are using the same data cable - but either way, I would try another data cable. Have you tried a different USB port on the computer (or tried other devices in that port)?

FWIW, I have strong doubts that the problem is directly related to W10 - the update process COULD have been, but if you reinstalled the drivers, that should have addressed that.
  19. BergDonk

Oddometer:
    Thanks for your input. I have already tried different cables and ports and the symptoms are unchanged.
  20. TinMan207

Oddometer:
    Hmmmmmm - well, it seems that you have the easy stuff covered. Probably, like me when I call tech support, I START the conversation with, "I have already covered the easy questions... that's why I'm calling..."

Does the Montana respond to "Garmin Express"?

If you have ruled out hardware by trying different cables and devices in the USB port - and the fact that the GPS works on a different computer - I am still leaning toward driver issues (In most places My opinion and $3US could get you a cup-of-coffee, but that's a different conversation). With that said, I would try to uninstall the garmin drivers (re-boot the computer after) and reinstall. If you don't know how to do that, it should be available in your control panel under "Programs and features"

If you were just a LITTLE closer, I would offer to "come over" and take a look for you, but I am pretty sure that we could not be further away from each other geographically and still be on the planet... I HAVE always wanted to go to OZ however, so I won't rule it out :-)