Garmin Montana

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by AugustFalcon, May 18, 2011.

1. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    couple of suggestions for the Montana not connecting.
    Try putting a few other devices like a thumb drive and a cell phone, etc. on the USB port and see if they work.

Also try Googling something like "USB problems with Windows 10". I have had a lot of luck with that.
    But it is hard to believe that there is any better Montana knowledge out there than here.
    BergDonk likes this.
  2. Ken in Regina

Ken in Regina Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I suspect he already knows this but removing the drivers is quite easy. Just hit the Windows/Start key, start typing Device Manager, and select it when it's offered. If the Garmin device drivers are there he should see them under a recognizable category. (Apologies, I don't have any of my Garmin GPS devices in the house to connect them and check the category.)

...ken...
  3. TinMan207

TinMan207 Most often a lurker... Supporter

Oddometer:
    This is MY opinion for the knowledge base and not necessarily the only way to approach the problem NOR the only way

If the device (in this case the Montana) isn't being seen by the computer it won't show up in the device list until you click on "view" and "show hidden devices".

upload_2020-5-21_12-38-18.png

This is mine after I told it to show hidden devices. When I click on "E:/" , under "properties" and "details" it shows that it is also associated with my Montana. Obviously, the "Garmin" item is also the Montana. Under "properties" and "driver" there is an option for "uninstall device"

In my experience this can be a useful tool if you have exhausted other simpler options. If you miss one instance of the specific driver you could still have problems. In my example above I might have to do them both (and potentially others, I didn't look) before you have fully uninstalled the driver(s) associated with the device.

With what I have seen on my computer this morning, I would first start by uninstalling the drivers from the "Control Panel" and let the computer find the drivers IT thinks are associated with the device and THEN go into the "device manager" if needed.

YMMV
  4. Ken in Regina

Ken in Regina Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes. Thanks. I had forgotten about the step to show hidden devices if the Garmin wasn't showing up when connected.

...ken...
    TinMan207 likes this.
  5. BergDonk

BergDonk Old Enough to Know Better

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the help. Not sure about Garmin Express. Not something I've used, but can't see how it would work if the PC doesn't know the Montana is connected in the first instance.

I do all my track planning on the big screen at home. As long as my littly keeps communicating, I can get by, just another step to transfer the file to the Asus before uploading to the Montana and visa versa. And we're not travelling right now either.

If I step outside and move a bit NNE I'll be a LITTLE closer, close enough? Come visit anytime, I have bikes and can show you around.
  6. BergDonk

Oddometer:

upload_2020-5-22_8-31-4.png

The Garmin identified above is a USB stick which is a Montana clone so that I can use the maps without the Montana connected, and it pretty much permanently in that port. It works fine, but the Montana when connected, as it is now, normally appears as H; and I:

I've tried a variety of ports, and with and without the USB clone.

The PC just does not see the Montana like it used to.
  7. TinMan207

Oddometer:
    As has been discussed, deleting the H: and I: in your scenario should force windows to re-recognize the drives. There should also be corresponding items under "disk drives" (after you "show hidden devices"). If we assume that the Montana is doing what it's supposed to do, and the laptop suggests to me that it is, the big computer SHOULD see the "new hardware" and install the drivers... It did here.

here's hoping it helps!
  8. BergDonk

Oddometer:
    No difference.

Interestingly, I plugged in an old USB HDD and same result, no recognition of its existence, whereas a USB stick works normally in the same port.

Thanks again for the ideas, I'm stumped.
  9. TinMan207

Oddometer:
    You have me wondering if it is related to your "USB Mass Storage controller" (also in your Device Manager)

upload_2020-5-22_7-36-43.png

The highlighted device is related to my Montana. It is hidden when the Montana is not attached and "lights up" when the Montana is recognized. You might check these items out. Delete/uninstall them and plug in your External HDD and/or your Montana to see what happens. You MIGHT have to tell "device driver" to look for new hardware - under "actions".

The Flashdrive that still works almost certainly uses a different "driver".

I understand that this is a good example of "trial and error" troubleshooting, but it could lead to something.... We can hope!
    BergDonk likes this.
  10. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think a good troubleshooting approach to lots of problems is to see what works and what doesn't work and then look for the differences
    BergDonk and Ken in Regina like this.
  11. BergDonk

Oddometer:
    I shall experiment further, thanks for the ideas :thumb
    TinMan207 likes this.
  12. BergDonk

Oddometer:
    I gave up for a bit, other things and no obvious solution. Just plugged a Montana in and all works as it used to. Windows did another update a day or so ago, so for the time being, I'll assume that was the issue, a Bill Gates' virus.
    :dunno:hmmmmm:beer
    TinMan207 likes this.
  13. bkoz

bkoz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That was just Bill trying implant a tracking chip :augie
    Grinnin, Ken in Regina and BergDonk like this.
  14. TwoUpTourer

TwoUpTourer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sometimes if I interfere with the screen in any way whilst following a track, such as to zoom in/out for some clarification, I lose the track up orientation, meaning the map remains static and no longer moves as I go, and to avoid holding everyone up whilst I frig around with it, I just restart it and it returns to normal.
    So what am I doing wrong?
  15. TwoUpTourer

TwoUpTourer Long timer

Oddometer:
    And whilst I'm at it, I do my GPX creation using Plotaroute.com, the best A$24 I spend all year.
    When I export the map I have created, I get a choice of route or track, and I always select track, but then I get a choice to export it with or without 'directions'.

Now this confuses me, because I think that a track that incorporates directions must be by definition a route by another name? A route is a route, and a track is a track, so can anyone elaborate on how a track with directions would behave?
  16. SteveAZ

SteveAZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Touching the north arrow switches between north up and track up - it's one of the better features IMO
    rkdwp, I82l8, Grinnin and 1 other person like this.
  17. TwoUpTourer

TwoUpTourer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks - as simple as that, why I didn't know that I don't know!
    Trailryder42 likes this.
  18. Trailryder42

Trailryder42 Long timer

Oddometer:
    My old 60 series does that too when you use the direction buttons to scroll the screen around. The Montana does that when you use pinch to zoom or touch to scroll the screen around. Normal behavior. At the bottom left of the screen, tap the Return/Back arrow, the icon below the hamburger menu icon. It will take you back to the screen of your current location icon and moving map.
    Grinnin and TwoUpTourer like this.
  19. TwoUpTourer

TwoUpTourer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks! That's 2 things I've learnt today, valuable and frustration avoidance things, much appreciated.
  20. Grinnin

Grinnin Forever N00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    When you zoom in or out, you have to touch the + or - pretty precisely. It's a pretty large square on each zoom button, about 10mm by 13mm, but with insulated gloves I can miss them. There is no pinch zoom.

If you press beside the button instead of right on it, the map changes from what I'll call the "navigation display" to a "browse map display". The screen will no longer display an "X" to exit the map display, but will now display a return arrow to go back to the navigation display.

If your problem is pressing the north arrow while navigating, the cursor will either be in the center of the screen or nearer the bottom but centered left/right. If your cursor is off-center or wanders off the screen, then pressing the return arrow will get the cursor centered again.