Garmin Montana

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by AugustFalcon, May 18, 2011.

1. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I never knew that about the North arrow. But I always use North up. I will play around with this some.

If it is really easy to switch, I might switch. I do get confused about turns when heading south.
  2. JMartin

JMartin Tres Libras

Oddometer:
    That feature must be map dependent. I have a north arrow when viewing a track on top of TOPO but not on top of Fishing Hotspots. Neat trick nonetheless.
    Jay
  3. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I went on a 140 mile ride yesterday and tried using the North icon to switch back and forth between Track Up and North Up in Track Up mode. It basically worked as advertised.

I missed the arrow a few times, but finally kind of got the hang of it.

I still don't really like Track Up because of the map spinning. But it is definitely better than North Up when riding predominantly south.
  4. Grinnin

Grinnin Forever N00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    When I was a Scout, we were taught to orient the map, i.e. turn the map so north on the map points to north on the earth which makes east point east, etc. That's also the way the GPS map should be turned when using track up. It sometimes wavers a bit, especially when stopped, but in general it's oriented. When the map is oriented you can look up from the map directly at physical features instead of having to figure out where they are.

North up gives me a quicker feel for what direction roads go. I can look at just the road and don't have to look to the arrow for comparison.

I almost always use track up.
    CavReconSGT and joefromsf like this.
  5. Ken in Regina

Ken in Regina Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I prefer both but for different purposes. When I'm rolling I want to see what's ahead of me, so track up. I mostly don't care what my actual orientation is. On the Montana's dashboard screen I have direction in degrees as one of the display fields. If I really want to know what direction I'm travelling and don't know I just look at the arrow on the map or the direction field on the dashboard for more precision.

If I'm stopped to do a bit of planning and trying to orient the actual trails to direction I'll switch to North Up because that's the way I used paper maps for decades.

Actually I'm as likely to still pull out a paper map for anything but the most local, trivial orienteering. The Montana display is way too small for anything serious.

...ken...
  6. Grinnin

Oddometer:
    Now that we've dealt with north up vs. track up, it's time to hash out portrait vs. landscape.

Since the roads we ride on will probably curve, landscape orientation will often show more of the road length than portrait.

On the ride pictured, I did try portrait briefly, but the screen shows so much less of the road or trail than landscape.

SchoodicLake.JPG

So we can all agree that portrait is superior.

:hide

Up next: Topo vs. road maps. :lol3
  7. Anders-

Anders- 690R

Oddometer:

:lol3

[​IMG]
    (Rollinghobo)
  8. TrotterD

TrotterD Geek

Oddometer:
    I rock landscape mode. PSX_20191230_175837.jpg
    TwoUpTourer and CavReconSGT like this.
  9. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto Sloppy 300 rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    I like portrait with track up. It gives me the information I need while moving on the bike. I don’t need to know what direction north is while riding, just which way the next turn is. When stopped and trying to figure out where we are at and where to go next, I will switch to north up.
  10. Ken in Regina

Ken in Regina Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Absolutely right. :beer

...ken...
  11. CavReconSGT

CavReconSGT Just the right amount of evil.

Oddometer:
    I use to use my Montana in Landscape track up. I now use the 396 the same way. Not that I don't get using it in Portrait. Just like Landscape. :D

KR
  12. Anders-

Anders- 690R

Oddometer:
    Both modes make sense to me, sometimes one can see further in portrait mode than landscape.

I run my gps at 45 degrees as a compromise, autorotate on - of course.
    :hide
  13. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    That must be nice as it flips between those as the bars turn. ;)
    Anders- likes this.
  14. Chip Stevens

Chip Stevens Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Since you run with the Montana at 45 degrees have you established if 46 degrees to the left or right works better?
    Anders- and simon crewe like this.
  15. dstutz

dstutz Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    Anders- likes this.
  16. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    How are you using "north up" while you're using "track up" ?

I'm confused by this post
  17. Grinnin

Oddometer:
    I usually use track up so the map is oriented.

I sometimes use north up if I'm not following a track so I see more quickly what directions roads go.

North up/track up isn't cast in stone; it's a simple press on the north arrow.
  18. TwoUpTourer

TwoUpTourer Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've just returned from a 3 day riding weekend, and for the first time seem to have a decent grip on the Montana way of doing things thanks to those 2 tips provided a few days back. The North, as discussed above, and the little return arrow. It behaved really well without what I previously interpreted as being a freeze. Your tips are much appreciated.
    Perhaps one more thing. I only use tracks as routes wouldn't work where we ride, but the map is zoomed too far out such that small complex junctions lose detail, forcing me to stop, take my gloves off, zoom in a bit, check map, gloves on, ride away, with 5 other guys waiting alongside for me to get my act together. Yes, why am I the only one in 6 of us who can prepare a track and load it onto a GPS, but that is another story I guess.

And +1 for track up - I need to know where I'm going, left/right/straight on, so how this could be achieved with a north orientation whilst riding beats me.
    BergDonk and Grinnin like this.
  19. miken0vf

miken0vf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Maybe set your default view as 800ft or maybe less? you could also set diff profile defaults, an example might be "road use" and another "trail use", then just toggle to the one you need?

20. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto Sloppy 300 rider Supporter

Oddometer:

I run different zoom levels depending on the speed and how complex the turns are. I’ll run 200’ zoom on more dirtbike type stuff. Speeds under 40mph. 40-50mph usually ends up with about 800’ zoom. Faster than that is .2mi zoom. This gives me enough detail to see the junctions and the upcoming curves in the road. As I approach a curve, I can give a quick glance and get a decent idea of the radius. This allows me to hit turns a little faster than if I were just trying to read the road alone.