Garmin Montana

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by AugustFalcon, May 18, 2011.

1. I82l8

I82l8 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I noticed when I pull my track logs into Basecamp there will be these occasional straight lines across going back between points:
    2020-06-08.jpg

Where do these come from and how can I avoid that?
    Thanks.
    duggram likes this.
  2. Grinnin

Grinnin Forever N00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have the "auto zoom" set to off.

When it's turned on, I it's supposed to zoom in at slower speeds or smaller roads and out for faster speeds and faster roads.

From the map display, you can select the 3 line icon that pops up some options, select Setup Map, then select Advanced Setup. Autozoom is on that screen.

I didn't have a lot of trouble with zoom level until recently. A riding bud recently got a Zumo XT which has a larger screen and which always displays a larger area than my Montana. When I'm buzzing down a state highway I want the GPS to show which 2 trees to ride between to get on the correct trail. I'll give auto-zoom a try although I recall it not reading my mind very well.
    TwoUpTourer likes this.
  3. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have gotten pretty good at zooming in and out while riding if it is not too rough.

I think having sparsely spaced track points is as much of a problem finding the track between the two trees as zoom level.
    TwoUpTourer likes this.
  4. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I see this sometimes at the beginning or end of a track. It is often caused by shutting the unit down, moving (like driving home from a ride) and then turning it back on before the track has been archived.

That doesn't look like the problem in your case where the line is in the middle of the track. Seems unlikely that you shut it down road back to the beginning of the line, then to the end and then turned the GPS back on.
    Especially since the track says you went both ways.

Anyway I suspect it is just one point and I would just delete it from the track for next time.

Another possible reason is that it is not a track that was actually ridden as shown. Instead it was created by cutting a splicing tracks from two different rides.
    I do see this a lot when I create new tracks this way. It is caused by not putting the new track section in quite the right place in the file.
    I just step thru the track one point at a time and can eventually figure out what I did wrong. Or not and I just start over.
    CavReconSGT likes this.
  5. guavadude

guavadude Dirt Nap Enthusiast

Oddometer:
    Just in case anyone from Garmin reads this thread, which I kinda doubt...
    What the Montana or any gps really needs for MX use is two preset zoom levels preferably controlled by the power switch.
    I need two zoom views, a closeup and then one about four zoom levels out to see the overview.

I'm so tired of the Montana shuffle:
    While zoomed in close, I try to hit the zoom out button four times without also dropping a waypoint three of those times and having to jump back to main view and start over.

Two presets, that's all I need. Let me pick the two views I want and assign them to alternate by using the power button so I'll never miss. Please.
    TwoUpTourer and Yinzer Moto like this.
  6. Ken in Regina

Ken in Regina Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Was this track an out-and-back over the same road/trail? It looks like there are two track lines for that section: one legitimate and the other the straight line.

The straight line usually occurs when you lose GPS lock for a period. The track logger knows the time period is continuous but has no data to log for in between points. So it simply logs the last good point before the GPS lock is lost and the first good point when it is re-established. Then when you display it, the only thing it can display is the straight line between the two points.

Or it might be some variation between that and the possibilities suggested by @wbbnm.

...ken...
  7. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto Sloppy 300 rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Even better if there was a handlebar switch that was available.
    TwoUpTourer likes this.
  8. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto Sloppy 300 rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Because I use my GPS to judge the upcoming radius of corners, the auto zoom throws me off. As I usually glance down as I am braking fo rate corner, it is changing zoom levels because my speed is decreasing. It just does not work well for me.
    Grinnin likes this.
  9. I82l8

I82l8 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have my Montana connected to switched power...so It turns off when I turn off the bike..we did stop where the split started and so the GPS shut down and then restarted.
    I think we might have stopped at the point where it joins as well.
    Obviously we rode the squigly line.
    But it doesn't seem happen every time I stop and restart :hmmmmm
  10. Ken in Regina

Ken in Regina Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    One of the reasons I have the powered mount wired directly to the battery.

Of course that creates its own problem when I forget to turn off the GPS when I'm done for the day. :(

...ken...
  11. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sure sounds like it has to do with shutting down and restarting. Maybe it is a nonrepeatable glitch. I would try to keep close track of exactly goes on around the time of the shutdown/restart to see if there is any pattern.

Also sounds like you just let the unit shutdown and restart on its own.

How do you have your archiving interval set up? I settled on Daily early on after trying Weekly and this has worked well for me. Not sure what all the options are these days.
    Ken in Regina likes this.
  12. dmottv

dmottv Take the Long Way Home

Oddometer:
    Yep, same happens to me when I shut down and start back up with switched power. I think it connects back to the beginning of that track upon shutdown then back to the startup point. But, not always. :dunno It throws the current track statistics off until the point is edited out after the fact.
  13. dmottv

Oddometer:
    But, I don’t have to worry about that anymore, I lost my 8 year old Montana yesterday. I’m in mourning... :muutt
    TwoUpTourer likes this.
  14. CavReconSGT

CavReconSGT Just the right amount of evil.

Oddometer:
    It happens on mine when the restart, restarts from a different location on the same day. If I do somewhere on Tuesday and don't end the original track and restart a new track on Tuesday but take the GPS out of the mount and take it somewhere else and restart it, I will get a track like that. Usually if it is a different day it won't do that.

Clearing that in Basecamp is fairly easy. Usually just find the offending data point (usually just one or two) and delete it.

KR
    I82l8 likes this.
  15. TwoUpTourer

TwoUpTourer Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a stretchy cord looped through the carry handle thing on the end of the Montana and loop that around the mount every time just for that purpose. It would be so easy to have it drop off like yours has done, so having it dangle from the bars until I notice has got to be a better thing.
    Commiserations, an expensive loss.
    dmottv likes this.
  16. dmottv

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I pulled it out of the cradle and put it in a side case at a stop. I left it in the side case as my next stop was not far away. But, the top of the case was open when I got there. My fault, I must not have latched the top correctly. All my other gear was in the case, but the Montana was gone.

I retraced my route several times, but no luck in finding it. It was through several neighborhoods so my guess is someone picked it up. Oh well, we had eight good years together ...
  17. BergDonk

BergDonk Old Enough to Know Better

Oddometer:
    :(
    dmottv likes this.
  18. BergDonk

BergDonk Old Enough to Know Better

Oddometer:
    If you're using Oz/NZ topo, what detail level do you have set? I don't recall the default, but suspect its not 'most'. From the map screen, press the menu, lower right, setup map, advanced, then detail. Select 'most' of the 5 options. May or may not work with other mapsets, dunno. I almost never change the zoom on a ride unless its complicated. I also usually lead and navigate group rides using the corner man/person system and usually have to wait for the following rider to catch up to mark the intersection.
  19. guavadude

guavadude Dirt Nap Enthusiast

Oddometer:
    When my Montana starts up, there's a message "If found please call (my number)". it's been so long since I set it up but I think you just type in what you want it to say in the text document on the unit after it mounts on your desktop.
    Ken in Regina, dmottv and dstutz like this.
  20. dmottv

Oddometer:
    Great idea!