1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Garmin Montana

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by AugustFalcon, May 18, 2011.

1. Ken in Regina

Ken in Regina Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Mine has my email but I should probably add my phone, too.

...ken...
  2. MadM

MadM Dreamer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Montana start up time.

Any ideas why my friends 600 loads and starts faster than my 610? I have them setup identically, same maps, waypoints,.... Both devices use 32gb class 10

600 needs 10s to be ready for use, while my 610 is at around 35s.

Thanks!
  3. kave

kave Gravel rules

Oddometer:
    More maps, poi and routes etc?
  4. MadM

MadM Dreamer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Read my friend, read! They were setup identically from hard reset... same map, waypoints,...
  5. TinMan207

TinMan207 Most often a lurker... Supporter

Oddometer:
    There is a text document in the root directory of your Montana called "Owner_information.txt" that can say pretty much whatever you want I believe.

Additionally there is a text document in the Garmin folder called "startup.txt" Mine starts out like this...

<!-- Edit this file to display a message while your unit is powering on -->
    <!-- Allow one full power cycle after editing for your message to be updated -->
    <!-- Set the display number to the minimum number of seconds your message is displayed -->
    <display=5>
    <!-- Type your message on the next line -->

Whatever you type below this line displays on the screen as it boots (for the time specified in the <display= > line).

ALTERNATIVELY
    You can use JaVaWa Device Manager to access this (and much else) information.
    MasterMarine, BergDonk and guavadude like this.
  6. TinMan207

Oddometer:
    Well, not set up EXACTLY identically... One is setup in English, the other Slavic (just guessing here, but not English) and one has a generic background and the other has a KTM logo (again that's a guess, but it is not the same as the 600) - which is an image file somewhere on the unit and needs to be loaded in order to be displayed. I can't tell what the "loading" messages are actually saying but it seems to be moving though things at a reasonable pace.

The other thing that I noticed is that the 600 seems to think that it has good satellite coverage while the 610 does not (kind of hard to see, but I think that I'm right). I don't know if this would slow the startup - I almost think that it won't, but who knows what changes Garmin made to the boot process between the two units.

I don't think that I actually answered your question directly, but I think that your assumption that they are "Identical" is not quite correct (no flame here, none intended). please remember that your Montana is a small, not very powerful, computer. Just loading the custom background and language files COULD take longer than you might think. BTW there are a LOT of data files in the file structure on the Montana internal storage that could be cleaned up to give you more working room. LOTS of language files and on mine, I found a PDF user manual for many - if not all - of the languages. Deleting these can only help you in the long run, and since I can't read, write, or speak french, for instance, can't hurt to get rid of. YMMV

MY habit - largely because I am impatient - is to start my Montana (on its internal battery) and then go about putting my jacket and helmet on and probably start the bike before I look at the GPS. By the time I get the bike started the Montana is ready for me to load a route or track or waypoint, OR is ready to track my ride.

I hope this helps... if only to alleviate any worries that something is obviously "wrong" with the 610.
    MadM and ramz like this.
  7. I82l8

I82l8 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks, yes I think in that instance I pushed the bike over while it was off...interesting...thanks
    CavReconSGT likes this.
  8. Grinnin

Grinnin Forever N00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    In addition to the things that @TinMan207 pointed out, they have different firmware. The 610 needs firmware for GLONASS at the least. I don't know what other changes there are.

I really don't know if the .gcd file is an update to the firmware or if it is the complete firmware. Size difference for current .gcd files is only 2MB, but the difference could be what those 2MB are doing. The .gcd file for 600 is 18MB while the .gcd file for 610 is 20MB.
    MadM and TinMan207 like this.
  9. BergDonk

BergDonk Old Enough to Know Better

Oddometer:
    FWIW I have an old 600 and a 2 yo 610, both setup identically, more or less. Subjectively the 610 boots faster than the 600, although not by much.
    MadM and CavReconSGT like this.
  10. MadM

MadM Dreamer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Replys in orange ;)
    TinMan207 likes this.
  11. scottydawg

scottydawg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You should be able to use your Montana with your gloves on.
    TwoUpTourer, wbbnm and CavReconSGT like this.
  12. Anders-

Anders- 690R

Oddometer:
    The advantages of using a good old resistive touchscreen instead of the fancy capacitive ones.
  13. TinMan207

Oddometer:
    A couple of things I would point out here, if I may.

1) Perhaps your riding buddies are less worried about the "break" in the ride than you are. I know that I am often my worst critic with things like this. ALSO, and I am speaking as much for myself than anyone else, they may be grateful for the breather :D

2) Are you aware that the Montana, and several other units out there, have a wireless transfer feature? I often transfer tracks, waypoints, and routes (routes less often because they are so map and unit settings dependent) to other riders/units as a backup and to have another set of eyes looking at things. I actually have a "spare" Map62 that I almost always carry and/or loan to others for this reason.

3) I seldom use track-up. I have just trained myself to look at the screen "north-up" and use the arrow icon to know which way I need to turn. I think it's simpler for my brain not to have the screen jumping around as I travel. It's just how I roll YMMV.
    wbbnm, dmottv and Grinnin like this.
  14. Grinnin

Grinnin Forever N00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'll second this notion. A riding bud often apologizes for stopping to adjust things or getting the helmet on and forgetting hearing protection or whatever.

It's just not a problem. It's not like I'm 100% efficient all the time and an extra minute is going to derail my enjoyment.

Do what I do. Go riding up any of the available trails then say "Oops, wrong trail", get turned around, and go back to try again. After a few of those, they'll be begging you to stop to look at your GPS track more closely. :muutt
  15. TinMan207

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I just spit coffee all over the place. Wanker! :photog
  16. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto Sloppy 300 rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    The issue is have is one group that I ride with. If I pause and look at the GPS, I’ll turn around to go again, someone will have a helmet off already. Another will be off the bike and pissing in the weeds (I can’t fault him much, I think he has a health issue where he needs to piss every 30 min). People will be in the middle of a story about something. All this after I stopped for like 10 seconds. :imaposer
    EmmEff, wbbnm and I82l8 like this.
  17. TinMan207

Oddometer:
    Obviously, it was time for a break anyhow :lol3
    Ken in Regina and Yinzer Moto like this.
  18. markbvt

markbvt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Georgia, Vermont (that's one town, not two states)
    I feel your pain!

I was on a trip once with a guy who would pull out his stove and French press and start making coffee any time we stopped for a moment. :becca

--mark
    EmmEff and Yinzer Moto like this.
  19. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I too am a big believer in navigation by trial and error. I don't do it as punishment. Sometimes if an intersection looks complicated either on the map or on the ground, I just pick a road and go up it a few hundred yards and see what happens on the screen. A lot of times what look like nice 90 degree turns on the map are anything but on the ground.
  20. SteveAZ

SteveAZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's hard to use without gloves let alone with!

Screwing around with it while in motion and gloves on is super difficult for this old guy...