Garmin Montana

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by AugustFalcon, May 18, 2011.

1. Grinnin

Grinnin Forever N00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    I don't do it as punishment. I do it because I'm frequently wrong.

I don't like it, but when I'm leading I'm likely to suddenly point off to the side and say "go there". Followers can get the correct turn while I get do the U turn to get back to them.
  2. Grinnin

Grinnin Forever N00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    I can zoom in pretty well with most gloves. Some gloves take more care or even putting my finger on the edge around the screen and tilting my finger until it hits the zoom button.

Other than zoom, I don't like to operate the thing while riding. Too much attention away from the road.
    Ken in Regina, TinMan207 and wbbnm like this.
  3. Anders-

Anders- 690R

Oddometer:
    +1. No poking while riding.
    The one exception for me is closing the map to have a quick glance at time, heading, etc.
  4. Chip Stevens

Chip Stevens Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    If your in the lead try doing what I do. Ride fast enough that you are ahead enough that you have time to stop and figure out your turn. When the rest catch up it will look like you are waiting for them and take off before they come to a complete stop. It has been my experience that the riders that keep wanting take a brake are the slower riders.
    scottydawg and BergDonk like this.
  5. SteveAZ

SteveAZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    The unit I'm using these days is very easy to zoom in and out, and other frequent tasks while moving, gloves make it a little worse but still doable... but agree with this unit, best to avoid it while in motion since it too easily becomes a distraction
    Anders- and wbbnm like this.
  6. TwoUpTourer

TwoUpTourer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wish I could, but it always seems to want to place a drop pin on where I'm stabbing my finger.
    12Bong13 likes this.
  7. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I do it all the time with gloves while riding if the road isn't too rough, even heavy winter gloves. It definitely takes practice and of course I don't hit the right spot much more than 60% of the time.

I think the problem is that the sweet spot for the zoom icons is just to small. Who wants to place a waypoint at the very edge of the screen? Not me

It took most of the day to get the knack of hitting the north icon correctly when I did my track up experimental ride.
  8. EmmEff

EmmEff Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've found that using your fingernail works much better than the pad of your finger to tap.
  9. I82l8

I82l8 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    In my experience also the dashboard you use will make a difference I could never hit the zoom controls with the nuvi dashboard but have no problem with the data fields ones.
    scottydawg and Grinnin like this.
  10. shu

shu ...

Oddometer:
    The ability to zoom in and out, on the fly with gloves on is one reason why I finally gave up on my Montana and bought the 276cx.

(It comes with with a host of its own problems but it's buttons and menus are better for operating while riding.)

I had some success on the Montana by tying a stylus of some kind on a tether next to the unit. I also tried putting a little dot of silicone on my glove pointer finger to sharpen it up some. If Garmin had made those + and - circles on the screen the size of a nickel I probably would still have my Montana. As it was I never really solved the problem.

.............shu
    SteveAZ likes this.
  11. guavadude

guavadude Dirt Nap Enthusiast

Oddometer:
    This is exactly why I mentioned the desire to have two preset views, zoomed in and then out about four levels, that alternate by using the power button. That button can already be assigned to other functions so really just the ability to set two preset views is all that is needed.

Garmin has a feedback and product ideas link on their site. If everyone who struggles with viewing and zooming on the Garmin would please send a design request, we might actually see a design change.

The Montana might not get updated but the next version could possibly have this feature.
  12. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
  13. turtlespeed

turtlespeed Been here awhile

Oddometer:

try plugin the SD card in the laptop, GE recognizes the external SD card and will show the map in GS. At least that how it works for my OSM and City Navigator maps. The map fail has to be in a folder called garmin in the root directory of the SDCard.
  14. I82l8

I82l8 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes, you can use Garmin Express to install maps on your computer to use in Basecamp.
    I still have a Nuvi with lifetime maps...every update I also install on my computer.
    Which maps are you trying to install?
  15. Ken in Regina

Ken in Regina Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you are hoping to install a copy of the maps so that Basecamp will see them and use them even when the SD card with the maps is not connected to the computer, I'm pretty sure that won't work. As far as I know this will only work if you have a Lifetime Maps subscription to one of Garmin's map products, eg. City Navigator. It works just fine for that. I've done it a number of times.

I don't think it will work to install a map you've purchased on SD card to the computer. As @turtlespeed said, if you want to view the map in Basecamp just insert the SD card into the computer and Basecamp will see it and let you work with it for that session only. You can accomplish the same thing by connecting the GPS unit with the card in it to the computer and Basecamp will see the maps and use them. But this is slower to load the maps because the USB connection from Garmin devices is excruciatingly slow.

...ken...
  16. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    This is only of theoretical interest to me. All of my maps are either download or from original DVD and even CD. You and the guys in the link I posted make it sound like one can install maps residing on a device to a computer.

This is what I have been led to believe is true.

Is the fact that the maps are on an SD card is what makes it so they can't be installed on the computer? Or maybe the absence of lifetime updates?
  17. turtlespeed

Oddometer:
    I think you are referring to me. It works for my Nuvi Drive Smart 50 and my Garmin 60CSx .. so I am not talking hypothetical things... I was facing the issue of getting updated maps for my 60CSx and routable maps for BC and reading here and google (thanks to few people who pointed me to right direction) I decided to get a cheap Nuvi to get lifetime routable maps. It costed me $22 and time in experimentation. So sharing / trying to help.

PS: Garmin no longer provides new maps for 60CSx... I copied the map file form my Nuvi to my 60Csx and it worked ... now I have Jan 2020 maps on my 60Csx... and in BaseCamp..

PS: Check my screenshots in that thread.
    wbbnm likes this.
  18. Ken in Regina

Oddometer:
    The absence of lifetime updates. You have to have a lifetime maps subscription for a specific product registered in your Garmin account. Garmin Express checks for that. If it finds it it will allow you to select the option to install the update on the computer, install on the device, or install to both.

You used to be able to buy a lifetime maps subscription searately to add to a device that did not come with one. Now you can only buy the SD card which is just a one time deal for the version of the map that's on the card. To get a new version of the map you have to buy a new card.

...ken...
  19. Ken in Regina

Oddometer:
    The following assumes we are talking about locked map products.

For starters, what you described only works because you have a Nuvi with lifetime maps. That definitely should work for updating the maps for the Nuvi you bought to get them. It will also work to install them to the computer and to get updates on the computer. It will only work to install and update to the computer if the original device with the lifetime maps subscription is connected to the computer.

What definitely won't work is to install updates to any other device, like your 60csx, using Garmin Express. And it won't work to compile those maps with Basecamp and try to install them to a different device, like your 60csx.

I'm surprised to hear that you can copy them directly across from the Nuvi to the 60csx and have them work. It's a good trick to know. It was my understanding that the unlock codes were tied to the original device. What files are you copying across?

...ken...
    EmmEff likes this.
  20. turtlespeed

Oddometer:
    agreed, you have to use manual copy paste / experimentation to copy maps to other devices. But you can move OSM maps to Gamin devices using BC.

60csx does not use DRM or locked maps. I think Garmin started map locking only 2-3 years back.

copied: gmapprom.img and renamed it gmapsupp.img

https://forums.geocaching.com/GC/index.php?/topic/203978-gmapprom-gmapsupp-whats-the-difference/