Garmin Montana

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by AugustFalcon, May 18, 2011.

1. TwoUpTourer

TwoUpTourer Long timer

Oddometer:
    One more Basecamp question - does anyone know if it will read a Zumo XT in the same way it reads a Montana?
    I downloaded the XT manual, and unbelievably it only talks about copying files to it using standard Windows file copy to the Zumo's SD card. It does talk about using Basecamp to upload files to the new Garmin Explore app, which I didn't bother to explore, but even on the Garmin site it says the XT is compatible, so it is odd that its own manual ignores it.
  2. simon crewe

simon crewe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It is read by Basecamp as any unit in the Zumo family. Make sure you have the latest version for windows 4-7-2, this came out a few weeks ago with changes to suit the XT.
    TwoUpTourer likes this.
  3. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Basecamp versions before 4.7.x had a command in the View menu to allow viewing you gps information in a List in Google Earth. I still use the older version because I use this feature a lot for seeing if roads actually exist and maybe to get some idea of the quality of a road.

A few guys figured out a way to go back to 4.6.x after they discovered the Google Earth direct view had been dropped.

There is still a way to view Basecamp data in Google Earth. I think you have to create a gpx file and load that into GE. Maybe someone who actually knows how to do this will chime in.
  4. simon crewe

Oddometer:
    On Garmin Explore, there is an 'import' button which I used to drag all my routes,tracks & waypoints into the new software. Once you have loaded Garmin drive & Garmin explore on to the XT it all appears, as if by magic. I am set in my ways and transfer most data to my XT via basecamp, although if you want to, most things that you send to your phone can now link to the XT via the Garmin drive app.
  5. Ken in Regina

Ken in Regina Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Okay, we've had lots of talk about "lists". This (above) is the most accurate answer in Basecamp.

The simple answer is that even in Basecamp they are still just exactly the dictionary definition: ": a simple series of words... (such as the names of ... objects)". The only thing special in Basecamp (versus life in general) is that lists can be named and those names become indexes (indices?) in Basecamp's MyCollection database.

Not as much talk about GPX, and most have got it wrong,

GPX is completely independent of Basecamp and came about long before Basecamp was even a gleam in the developers eyes. It's meaningless in Basecamp other than in the import and export commands (as in, import from a GPX file or export to a GPX file). GPX stands for "GPS eXchange format". It's a specific XML schema used as a common GPS data format to make it possible to exchange GPS data between devices and software. It's used to describe waypoints, tracks and routes.

In other words it's just a standard data format specific to GPS data, and the type of file that contains it. Once it's inside Basecamp (or any other GPS device or software) it's no longer "gpx". It's the original waypoints, routes and tracks that are now stored in Basecamp's own internal data structure.

Hope that helps.

...ken...
    BergDonk likes this.
  6. BergDonk

BergDonk Old Enough to Know Better

Oddometer:
    I've kept the older version of Basecamp so I could toggle across to Google Earth. Annoyingly, it doesn't work any more and I'm not sure why, Basecamp tries, but says GE doesn't exist. The work around for that is to export the whatever Selection from Basecamp as a kml, then drag and drop the resultant kml onto GE. Just a couple of extra mouse clicks, but definitely not as convenient as it was.

I've tried reinstalling GE etc with the same non result.
  7. radmann10

radmann10 Derf Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anyone have issues with a Montana in a powered handlebar mount that keeps saying power is lost and asks to stay on or turn off but will not accept either command?
  8. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just tried it and mine still works, i.e., View\Google Earth command does run GE and transfer the gps data to it and GE displays it properly.

I am running GE

Google Earth Pro
    7.1.8.3036 (32-bit)

and Basecamp 4.6.2

You might need to do something else. A couple of years ago there was a fix for this problem going around where you had to run CMD as Administrator and then run a command to set some option in either GE or Basecamp.

Maybe somebody remembers it and will repost the instructions.
    BergDonk likes this.
  9. TwoUpTourer

TwoUpTourer Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's interesting, as I thought development had stopped on Basecamp?
    Which begs the question, if Basecamp stops, what's it's replacement?

EDIT:
    I just upgraded to 4.7.2 and most of my data files have gone :(
    Folders full of tracks have disappeared, and all of the BirdsEye imagery I paid for last year.
    Has anyone else experienced this?
    My guess is that they are there, but it now can't see them, and I can't find any way for it to re-scan for it.
    Using Treesize, I found all my Birdseye data in the form of JNX files, purely on the basis they were 200mb each, so at least I haven't blown my money, but Basecamp doesn't know they are there.
  10. TwoUpTourer

TwoUpTourer Long timer

Oddometer:
    My Montana is in the standard powered handlebar mount, but wired via a relay, so every time I turn the ignition key off, I get that warning about "stay on/Turn off". But if that is happening erratically, then a few things come to mind.
    • a wiring issue that has an intermittent break, say when you turn the bars one way.
    • a fault in the mount itself that is not giving a reliable connection. All those little brass pins are spring loaded, or should be!
    • something in the Montana itself, which seems most likely to me if it is not responding to button presses. I haven't looked into it, but there presumably is a factory reset somewhere that may rectify it.
  11. Ken in Regina

Ken in Regina Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good suggestions. One minor issue to the original poster: there's not a button press when you get that message. I always get the message when I remove the Montana from the powered mount (mine's hardwired to the battery). There are two selections on the screen: one to turn off and the other to leave on. They take a screen press, not a button press. Sorry if that sounds picky but such distinctions matter when someone wants help with remote troubleshooting.

...ken...
    BergDonk likes this.
  12. TwoUpTourer

TwoUpTourer Long timer

Oddometer:
    My bad, I meant the virtual button, or the textual prompt to leave on/turn off.
    Ken in Regina likes this.
  13. simon crewe

Oddometer:
    That message implies loss of power to the rugged mount. If you want to check that, disconnect the power to the mount & run the Montana on batteries to see what happens.
  14. simon crewe

Oddometer:
    I updated to 4.7.2 & everything was normal - maybe worth calling Garmin, I assume you have a backup you can rely on?
    TwoUpTourer likes this.
  15. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    There are two apparent problems: loss of power to the mount and the fact that pushing the option "buttons" does not work.

I would try a master reset to try to fix the button problem. Lately some guys have been having to remove the batteries to clear some software glitches.

Loss of power should not be too hard to troubleshoot with a voltmeter and jiggling some wires.

But as noted above it is possible that the loss of power message is bogus and the issue is with the Montana software getting scrambled.
  16. TwoUpTourer

TwoUpTourer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes I can re-import all the GPX tracks, but annoying that an upgrade would do that. Getting it to recognise my Birdseye imagery is a task ahead of me.
  17. AlH

AlH Long timer

Oddometer:
  18. guavadude

guavadude Dirt Nap Enthusiast

Oddometer:
    The main thing to know about Basecamp is that you have to create a DUPLICATE if you want to edit a track and not have your original track change as well.

Option copy and drag to a list or folder on Mac, in every other program but Basecamp, creates a duplicate. In BC option copy creates an alias. This screwed me up for the longest time until I learned to use the Duplicate command and then drag that copy to my different list.

Now sometimes you want to use an alias and just use lists to organize. I always have my waypoints saved as a separate file, that way I can view a trip’s tracks only without all the waypoint clutter. But you don’t want to duplicate the waypoints or you’ll have double of everything.
    BergDonk likes this.
  19. biker128pedal

biker128pedal Super Lurker

Oddometer:
    I have a 10XL and BaseCamp will recognize it. at least a few years ago and well for way points and tracks. Was cool years ago I took it to Germany and marked places I had to go and a track off the autobon. Used it on my NUVI 500 later then my Montana. FYI. If there are any bicyclist with questions. I have a Edge 1030. BaseCamp works with it. Great to drag tracks back and forth. But if I open a track on the Edge it get put in the .fit file and BaseCamp cannot delete or edit it. I have to delete it on the Edge first. Last BaseCamp will throw and error reading the Edge at times and does not read all the bike specific data. Does temperature.
  20. biker128pedal

biker128pedal Super Lurker

Oddometer:
    @TwoUpTourer

One suggestion for the training. Warn or go over the routing differences between the GPS and BaseCamp. I find all the settings have to be exactly the same or the routes will be different. Then it still does not make the same route on the GPS as in BaseCamp. Then I have to add points. I make a track for backup to help follow.
    TwoUpTourer and BergDonk like this.