Garmin Montana

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by AugustFalcon, May 18, 2011.

1. ramz

ramz Professional Trail Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
  2. Specularius

Specularius Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Garmin has missed the mark on their pricing of this thing. Don't forget to add the $100+ powered mount, pushing the base model to over $700. They must want to sell more Zumo XT's. The XT comes with the powered mount for $500.
    EmmEff likes this.
  3. EmmEff

EmmEff Long timer

Oddometer:
    IMO, it's priced more than double it should be...
    oldbiker83 and I82l8 like this.
  4. Grinnin

Grinnin Forever N00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    The mount is $70.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/pn/010-12881-08

Not cheap, but also not $100+
  5. Specularius

Specularius Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  6. guavadude

guavadude Dirt Nap Enthusiast

Oddometer:
    I always get the feeling the Garmin developers have never even seen an iPhone. Like they live in a cave somewhere with no knowledge of the outside world and it’s wonderous devices.
    BlueFargo, EmmEff and ramz like this.
  7. markbvt

markbvt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Georgia, Vermont (that's one town, not two states)
    True, the XT comes with the mount itself plus a RAM base and arm. It also has a spectacular screen, with much higher resolution than the Montana 700. All told, it is a pretty good deal.

But the drawback is that it's a whole lot less customizable than the Montana, and has a few annoying UI quirks that tend to get under my skin. Its handling of waypoints and POIs for example...

--mark
  8. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Canadian Montana 7xx prices:
    Monata 7XXs.jpg
    from a retailers site
  9. Yossarian™

Yossarian™ Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer:
    Maybe, if Garmin offered a method of transferring purchased maps from one device to another. But my 650t has CNNA and CNEU tied to it with lifetime updates, and I'm not really keen on having to repurchase mapsets that I already "own".
  10. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS Supporter

Oddometer:
    @Yossarian™ have you called Garmin Support and nicely asked them if they would transfer your currently active Maps to a new device? They did this once for me but it was a few years ago. They walked me through a processes where I had to Register the new device and de-Register the existing device at which point they reassigned the maps products and I could then download the maps to the newly registered device via Garmin Express.
  11. Ken in Regina

Ken in Regina Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Does that mean you think the iPhone has a good and usable user interface? :hmmmmm

...ken...
    CavReconSGT and BergDonk like this.
  12. Ken in Regina

Ken in Regina Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    My 395 is sitting on a bench in my shop, collecting dust. The screen is pretty, but pretty much unusable for me. It starts with the pastel default colours on the maps with very minimal contrast. And it's not TFT so in the bright sun it washes out badly. These old eyes have great difficulty reading it.

I use the dashboard a lot of the time and, as you pointed out, there's no customization for it. You can't select which items you want displayed. And you can't even select which order they display so you can't get your most used items up to the top.

I've had my Montana 600 for quite a few years and it was a refurbished unit when I bought it. So it's nice to have the 395 around as a spare. But if the Montana ever dies and I need to put the 395 into service it would only be until I could find another Montana.

...ken...
    CavReconSGT likes this.
  13. markbvt

markbvt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Georgia, Vermont (that's one town, not two states)
    They do -- but only if you purchase it on an SD card. Then it's locked to that SD card instead of to the device you put it in.

--mark
  14. I82l8

I82l8 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    There are ways to get your maps for free....just need to search a bit :evil
  15. EmmEff

EmmEff Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, it’s called OpenStreetMaps which I’ve found are as good as City Navigator and a free download. I would not and do not condone software piracy.
    I82l8 likes this.
  16. simon crewe

simon crewe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  17. eduro

eduro Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My Montana 610 won't charge or stay powered on with a dead battery while hooked up to a Garmin USB power cable, or Garmin USB cable connected to a USB 12V cig adapter on my bike. It'll stay powered on if I remove the dead battery while hooked up to the above two methods.
    I can charge the unit from a Garmin mini USB wall jack, or Garmin USB cable connected to my laptop at home. The unit is less than a year old, any ideas?
  18. Grinnin

Grinnin Forever N00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    How many amps does the "USB 12V cig adapter" on your bike put out? My idea being that charging the battery plus running the GPS uses more amperage than your adapter can provide.
    eduro likes this.
  19. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    It sounds like the dead battery is just not putting out enough voltage and thus current to run the 12V to USB converter. I am a little surprised at this. But if the battery is really dead, I guess it could happen.
    It would be interesting to see what the dead battery voltage is when connected to the USB converter.

I assume the converter works fine with a well-charged battery.
    eduro and Grinnin like this.
  20. eduro

eduro Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The 12V power socket puts out 15 Amps but is only a backup. I usually run it off the Garmin 010-11131-10 USB Power Cable that has an input voltage of 8 V to 58 V and an output of 5 V at 500 mA.

Yes, both the 12V power socket and Garmin USB Power Cable work fine when the unit is charged, but there have been times when I've had the unit plugged into the Garmin USB Power Cable with the battery indicator icon showing as charging, and then an hour later the unit would shut off with a dead battery.