Garmin Montana

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by AugustFalcon, May 18, 2011.

1. JW

JW Springs' Cuz

Oddometer:
    Well, hell.... ok. My Dad always said shoot for the stars, but guess I'm asking for the whole universe here. Am I crazy expecting to see individual track names and have them searchable on the 610 track list?
  2. BergDonk

BergDonk Old Enough to Know Better

Oddometer:
    File Export exports to any file location you nominate. I've not exported to the Device, but presumably it does.

I don't use Send to Device either, I simply select what I want on it, and drag and drop.

The use of the Windows keys Alt and Shift with the mouse to make multiple selections/deselections needs to be understood and leveraged. Its not peculiar to Basecamp, but built into Windows and applies in many applications.

upload_2020-8-15_7-58-24.png
  3. AlH

AlH Long timer

Oddometer:
    I went back and edited my post as you were posting saying that I now saw that export is for making a GPX file to send to any location, not just the device. :beer

I'm trying to preload some of the 4wd trails I want to explore on my upcoming trip to the Big Horn Mts in WY.

Part of my issue with Basecamp is I rarely use it- when I need it I've forgotten half of what I figured out the last time..:gerg
    JW and BergDonk like this.
  4. BergDonk

Oddometer:
    Not just gpx files, others too, like kml which can be useful. Also, if you've exported a gpx file, you can drag and drop it onto Google Earth and it'll open there too, if the View option in BC is not functioning.
    AlH likes this.
  5. AlH

AlH Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good to hear Google Earth lets you do that now- when I was using the Pro version at work years ago it would not let you do that- had to be a KML file.
  6. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    You can't really search the track list in the Montana Track Manager. Tracks are presented in an order related to how far they are from where you are at any moment in some sense. I have never seen a good description of the "how close" algorithm. It seems to be some sort of centroid thing. I have been on a track and have it not show up at the top of the list.

You can also do some rudimentary searching in Where To using the keypad.

It strikes me that the OP here is looking to ride Death Valley but has chosen a difficult set of tracks to try to use.
    Death Valley is a National Park and thus has severe travel restrictions. I have been there a few times, but am in no way an expert.
    I would guess there are only a few tens of roads that are open to travel in and around DV and one would want to ride.

There is an excellent thread called something like Death Valley Current Conditions in the West Regional forum. For some reason it is not very active this time of year.

Anyway I am attaching Countdown's Death Valley tracks that I probably got from GPSXchange. Hopefully I won't get sued or otherwise shamed for this.
    Even this file has a 100 tracks and may need some surgery to be useful.

Attached Files:

JW likes this.
  7. ramz

ramz Professional Trail Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    You must have version zero software; sorting is very flexible:

SortTracks.jpg

You can do a Spell Search also....

:ricky
    wbbnm and eddyturn like this.
  8. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well I checked and I can't find that sorting menu. I have a 600 and haven't updated the firmware in well over a year.
    I am always scared to death to do firmware upgrades, especially before a big ride.

But I have a few weeks before the next one, so maybe I will try.
    250senuf likes this.
  9. AlH

AlH Long timer

Oddometer:

@BergDonk
    Well tried to put a .gpx file into Google Earth and it will not allow it- has to be a KML. Google support says it can't be done as a .gpx.
    How are you doing it?:scratch
  10. joefromsf

joefromsf Dark Happens Supporter

Oddometer:
    What Montana are you using that has a "Sort" option for tracks? Like @wbbnm , my Montana doesn't have that option. I have a Montana 650 running the latest firmware, version 7.60.
  11. AlH

AlH Long timer

Oddometer:
    My 680T has the sort function. Nearest, Alphabetical, or Most Recent.
    I'll have to dig out my old 650 and see if it does.
  12. BergDonk

Oddometer:
    Dragging a gpx file from Window Explorer and dropping it onto GE works for me.

If it doesn't, an export option from BC is kml. BC 4.6.2 and GE 7.3.3.7786

On the sorting thing, my 600 sorts only by proximity, the 610 allows alternates, seems it was an update for the 610. I do find the proximity sorting actually most useful too, after being frustrated by it initially with the 600. Its only an issue when the direction is opposite such that the start is a fair way away.

I don't leave my Montanas full of stuff, just what I plan to ride.
  13. AlH

AlH Long timer

Oddometer:
    Maybe that is the issue my current Google Earth Pro is 9.3.117.0

Just went and downloaded GE Pro version 7.3.3.7786 and it will let me drag and drop .gpx files BUT it converts them to .kml files. :hmmmmm
  14. joefromsf

Oddometer:
    Thanks @AlH and @BergDonk . Yes, it appears the 600 and 650, which are now considered discontinued units, only have the proximity track sorting; while the 610 and 680 have the track sorting options. I assume the 7x0 ones will have track sorting option also.

My use is to also just load what is in the area I plan to ride, but in the case of Death Valley National Park I have 60+ personally ridden tracks so alpha sort would be a nice option. I am finding the 7x0 versions more appealing as my 650 is feeling a bit old now. Had several lines of pixels in the display go bad recently.
  15. AlH

AlH Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well.... Also lost some pixels shortly after the LaSal Rally. BUT I opened the 650 up and reseated a very tiny ribbon cable- fixed it. For now.
    There is a thread somewhere on here that details a lot about fixing Garmins.

Look up @Hodakaguy and Garmin

or go here- https://advrider.com/f/threads/garmin-montana-gps-reliability-modification-hardening-how-to.798472/

his issue was an antenna coming loose but it has a lot of helpful info
    joefromsf likes this.
  16. Ken in Regina

Ken in Regina Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I must be incredibly lucky. I've had my 600 for a few years. During riding season it's used for day trips 2 to 4 times a week for a minimum of 3 hrs each, plus 1 or two 7 to 10 day trips when it's on for 6 to 10 hrs a day. I have had to power cycle it perhaps half a dozen times in all that time. Each time I lost nothing.

And it was a refurbished unit when I bought it. :beer

...ken...
    CavReconSGT likes this.
  17. joefromsf

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I'll check that out. The pixels went bad on a road trip in the van, not a moto trip. Think it was heat related as during some stops I would remove from mount and hide it out of site while still powered on. It was originally several thick bands of pixels across the display, but it recovered a bit and is much better now and down to a row or two 1 pixel wide.
  18. AlH

AlH Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah that ribbon cable gets partially dirty and drops one of the pins connections. For awhile I could whack mine and it would come back then it got to the point that wouldn't work.
    I was sort of in need so I bought a new 680T, then managed later to fix the 650, which I keep as a backup.

A plus was the 680 fit the same powered mounts I already had on the DR and in my van.
    joefromsf likes this.
  19. BergDonk

Oddometer:
    I pretty much only use gpx files now, as BC will import kml fine too. In years gone by, GPS Babel was a great tool for me to convert gps file types. Is, or was, shareware and a free download, https://www.gpsbabel.org
  20. markbvt

markbvt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Georgia, Vermont (that's one town, not two states)
    Confirmed. 700i sort options are alphabetical, by proximity, and also most recent.

Unfortunately there's still no option for sorting routes.

--mark
    CavReconSGT likes this.