Garmin Montana

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by AugustFalcon, May 18, 2011.

1. ramz

ramz Professional Trail Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Doesn't the same software run on all 6xx units? Thus, all 6xx owners could have better sort options.

:ricky
  2. Ken in Regina

Ken in Regina Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    My 600 is up to date. It's on 7.60.

...ken...
    CavReconSGT likes this.
  3. BergDonk

BergDonk Old Enough to Know Better

Oddometer:
    AFAIK no. There are a number of differences between my 600 and 610 that firmware updates haven't changed, including sorting of tracks.
  4. joefromsf

joefromsf Dark Happens Supporter

Oddometer:
    And they have different firmware release numbers.
    BergDonk likes this.
  5. eduro

eduro Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    After further testing:

- A number of websites list Garmin 010-11131-10 USB Power Cable as being compatible with the Montana. It's not. I received an alert message on the unit itself stating the accessory was not compatible with the device.

71Yi3LUZ-gL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

- Anything over USB .5 amps will charge the unit. The USB on my power inverter was at only .5 amps and would not charge.

- The Garmin Montana Rugged Mount resolved my charging issues. Thx all for your help.
    wbbnm and Grinnin like this.
  6. joefromsf

Oddometer:
    Is there any way to determine if my Montana 650 is powered on when under battery power and using power save mode other then pressing the power button?

The problem I have is if I have my Montana sitting out and want to put it away and can't remember if I left it on or powered off, the only way I have to tell is by pressing the power button. If its on it will immediately restore the display and I can then shut it off. But if its off, then it will power up and I now I have to wait for that to complete so I can shut it down.

First world problem, but yeah it does bug me a bit. Ideally, it would work better (for me) if it took a long press to power it on.
  7. Grinnin

Grinnin Forever N00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    I touch the screen. This wakes it if it's in power save mode but doesn't turn it on if it's off.
  8. joefromsf

Oddometer:
    What model Montana do you have? With the 650, I have Setup > Display > Battery Save set to "On" and it doesn't respond to screen touches after the screen goes dark.
  9. Grinnin

Grinnin Forever N00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have a 650.

That battery save is "off" on mine. Wakes quickly with a touch.

I almost always ride with the Montana in an AMPS mount. I do walk with the Montana at times but have always had plenty of battery life for that.
  10. joefromsf

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I'll just have to turn Battery Save to "off" as my default, and only turn it "on" for hikes/walks where I carry it in a pack or pocket and I don't want inadvertent touches to restore full brightness.

Turns out the current behavior (ignore screen touches when option is "on") was added as a fix in a firmware update several years ago. Found that info here: https://www.gpscity.com/questions?qid=66365

Thanks for your replies.
  11. AlH

AlH Long timer

Oddometer:
    Pop the battery out? Takes just a few seconds.

BTW I had mentioned earlier how I repaired my 650.
    Couldn't find it for a bit- finally found it and now the touchscreen isn't responding, turns on fine but can't do anything.:fpalm
  12. joefromsf

Oddometer:
    No, it's working as designed (apparently). Touch is disabled when screen turns off for Battery Save mode.

Try reset.

I followed the thread link you provided and took mine apart, cleaned the screen ribbon cable contact and reseated cable but no change. Still have the lines in my display.

Since I might replace the screen if it gets worse I took the extra time to practice removing my screen while I had it apart. Looks like replacements are available on ebay for about $70, includes both the display and touch screen. Note that touchscreens are sold separately if needed.

I thought reseating the screen ribbon cable and power supply was pretty challenging. Actually accidentally popped off the ribbon connector latch and that was even more difficult to reseat.

Still watching the feedback on the new 700i unit.
  13. AlH

AlH Long timer

Oddometer:
    The reset in the manual is just removing the battery- tried that and no go.
    There is a factory reset detailed elsewhere where you hold the upper left corner of the screen and power it on.
    Of course that doesn't work either because the screen is unresponsive to touch. I guess I'll have to open it up again and see if I see anything.

EDIT- before opening it up I plugged it into my laptop to see if I could retireve any tracks/routes etc. Oddly it only shows one drive letter instead of 2....normally there is an E: and an H:
    I only have E: now.
  14. joefromsf

Oddometer:
    Did you disturb the SD card when you pulled the battery?
    CavReconSGT likes this.
  15. AlH

AlH Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nope no SD in it- it was moved to the new 680T. Waaaait a minute- maybe the SD card is the H: drive? Hmmmmm....

Opened it up- saw nothing obvious and reseated the ribbon from the screen- multiple times. No go.
  16. CavReconSGT

CavReconSGT Just the right amount of evil. Supporter

Oddometer:

Uhhhhh. Yes. The SD card is the H: drive. :-)

KR
  17. Timmer

Timmer Curious Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I replaced the screen on my 600 with one off eBay several years ago and it's still working fine. It's a pretty straight forward operation.
    joefromsf likes this.
  18. eduro

eduro Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So other than a quicker startup, what's the difference between Battery Save mode and just shutting the unit off?
  19. Ken in Regina

Ken in Regina Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    In battery saver mode there is still higher drain when the unit is off than when you actually power off. Nearly everything else will slow down - versus, say, Balanced Mode.

Every unit is a bit different in how the manufacturer decides to implement the various power modes available in Windows. Microsoft left a lot of wiggle room in the definitions so that the manufacturers can take into account specific characteristics of their particular architecture.

The only true answer is that you need to test it yourself. Power the unit off from a full charge completely overnight and check the battery charge the next morning. Next day just close the lid from a full charge and check the charge the next morning. To make sure it's apples to apples, you need to make sure that the end and start times that you check are the same (reasonably close).

In the meantime, when you're using it try using it in Balanced mode for long enough to get used to the performance. Then switch to Battery Saver mode and work with it for awhile.

If Battery Saver mode doesn't drive you nuts and it doesn't drain the battery excessively when it's left sitting in between uses, go for it. Otherwise, adjust your methods accordingly.

...ken...
    eduro likes this.
  20. eduro

eduro Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ok, so basically the unit is still kind of on, still recording tracks, elevation & so on... sorry but I have never seen a "balanced mode" on my 610.