Garmin Montana

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by AugustFalcon, May 18, 2011.

1. Ken in Regina

Ken in Regina Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Oops, sorry. I've just spent the past two hours helping a friend troubleshoot a new Windows 10 installation, including some missing power modes, and still had that in my head. Your post was the first thing I read after that.

:muutt :doh

...ken...
    BergDonk and eduro like this.
  2. SteveAZ

SteveAZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Battery save mode turns off the display (not just the backlight) but leaves the unit running without doing any display updates or the computing to do them... it will run a very long time on the Li-ion battery in this mode for sure... but it runs a very long time even just in normal mode if the backlight is off...
  3. Ken in Regina

Oddometer:
    My 600 will even run a very long time with the backlight on (set to about 50% if I recall correctly). Last summer I lent it to a riding friend for a trip out west to the Rockies. We didn't have time to wire his bike for power (decided to put it on his bike 10 minutes before we were scheduled to leave!). So we would charge it overnight and run it on battery all the next day. In a couple of cases, that was 10+ hours. We were amazed. In fairness, I think the backlight turns itself off after a little bit when you aren't fiddling with it. That probably helped.

...ken...
  4. SteveAZ

SteveAZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    The backlight is the biggest power draw (by far, not by a little) even when low and usually on batteries I'll set it to turn off after a couple of minutes... the battery save feature doesn't really do much more so I don't see much utility with aside from it locking the screen... point being if you don't want the screen to lock don't use the battery save feature, just make sure the backlight times out and you'll be no worse... I sometimes want it on and logging in a pocket or pack pocket and it's nice to have the screen lock although I just lock it manually and never really found use for the battery save feature

These things run way longer than the little battery would suggest when the backlight is off...

On my electric bike I had thought about wiring up a converter to power the GPS since it seems like a shame not to since there's so much power available but it isn't worth the effort... I haven't used the montana on the bike in a long time, but even when riding the bike daily and blazing the screen on the 276cx, I'm rarely down past 50% after a week or more and my recollection is that the montana was similar

IMO even on a moto where it's pretty easy to wire to the bike it's far from important for almost any rider that's not out adventure touring...
  5. Ken in Regina

Oddometer:
    The nice thing is that with the Montana's transflective screen you really don't need the backlight during the daylight unless it's fairly heavy overcast. Our experience last summer was that even doing adventure touring you can get away without wiring to bike power unless you're doing really long days. The 600 only ran out of power once on our trip. We had a poor weather day and only did a little over 200km (around 3 hrs of riding). So my friend chose not to bother charging it overnight. Mistake! We did about 8 hrs the next day and the 600 didn't make it.

I just checked ... the backlight is set to 30 seconds and the Battery Saver is Off. You're correct; the battery saver is more of a nuisance than anything in the way we use it.

...ken...
  6. joefromsf

joefromsf Dark Happens Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's one of my use cases. How do you lock it manually?
  7. SteveAZ

SteveAZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Gawd - I don't have it in front of me so forgive me if my feeble memory is off... I think you touch the power button and on that page is a little lock icon
  8. Grinnin

Grinnin Forever N00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    Since you can't look now, I did. A short press of the power button does display the battery status, etc., screen. On that screen, there is a lock icon. I didn't press it because IDK how locked they mean by locked. I know the lock screen on my nuvi required a password, etc., and seemed like more potential trouble than it was worth. The nuvi lock screen was anti-theft, not pocket protection.
  9. joefromsf

Oddometer:
    Thanks, found it.
  10. eduro

eduro Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So it doesn't log while in battery save mode?
  11. joefromsf

Oddometer:
    It does log. That's how I have been using it. I started this conversation because I didn't like that I couldn't tell if the unit was on or off when Battery Saver mode kicked in.
    eduro likes this.
  12. SteveAZ

SteveAZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    It logs in power save mode - I just don't bother since it's easier just to manually lock it and I have no other use for the battery save feature
    My feeble memory is at least partially intact!

It's harmless for sure
    eduro and Grinnin like this.
  13. Burner25

Burner25 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi all
    I’m on a ride tomorrow which I want to map and save. So do I just go to track manager / current track, that’s it , then just save route?
    I’ve used it before to follow the TET gpx , but because I was joining the route mid way I found it hard to follow. I think I need to change the colour on the map! Anyway just checking I’m doing it right.

Montana 600
    Thanks.
  14. Grinnin

Grinnin Forever N00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    Look at the Settings options in the Tracks area.

As long as you have the Track Log option set to "Record", then the Montana 600 will record automatically. You can choose to have it record and show or record and not show PLUS you can tell it what color to use.

I have the Record Method set to "Auto" and the Auto Archive set to "Daily". So each day that I have the Montana turned on, there will be a track named with the date. That same day the track will be called "current", but the next day it's moved to the Archive folder and renamed with the date.

You mentioned TET. For each track of the TET, you can go to Track Manager and set the color for that track.
  15. Burner25

Burner25 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank you!
  16. simon crewe

simon crewe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have put a short cut icon on the main screen for 'track log on' & 'track log off'.
    Burner25 and Ken in Regina like this.
  17. eduro

eduro Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I stumbled onto something pretty cool. I've always presumed there was a limit of one map per profile. I'd get around this by creating shortcuts to maps in different profiles, but ultimately it was still one map per profile and I had a lot of profiles.

There's a way to have numerous maps with different map information, level of detail, & settings all within one profile. To do this, create a shortcut, then use the edit/setup function to select the map features you'd like to customize. The options are Orientation, Detail, Shaded Relief, & Map Information. You can then place these shortcuts into the same profile.

I now have five different map configurations running on two profiles, which are On-Road & Off-Road. Both map configurations in the On-Road profile are identical except for different map orientations of Automotive & Track Up.

On.jpg.jpg

My Off-Road profile contains Two BirdsEye map configurations with different levels of detail, settings, & map information, along with a Topo map.

Off.jpg.jpg

Both profiles are then accessed by an On-Road & Off-Road shortcut toggling between the two.
    Ken in Regina likes this.
  18. eduro

eduro Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I didn't want to spam this thread so have shared some of my Garmin Montana wallpaper HERE
  19. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was on a ride last week and my direct-to-battery power wire broke. My battery only lasted about two hours. This is less than I expected and less than has been reported in the previous thread sequence.

It is pretty old, so I guess it is time for a new one. I think it was fully charged before this happened.
  20. Ken in Regina

Oddometer:
    Yes, they do get tired after awhile. Just like some of us old riders. :sick :(

...ken...
    BergDonk and eduro like this.