Garmin Montana

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by AugustFalcon, May 18, 2011.

1. Ken in Regina

Ken in Regina Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes, they do get tired after awhile. Just like some of us old riders. :sick :(

...ken...
    BergDonk and eduro like this.
  2. eduro

eduro Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Battery connections ok? How's the fuse on the wire?
  3. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well after we got to a lunch stop I checked and found the wire into the fuse was broken where I had spliced in a new fuse a year or so ago. So that was easy to fix.

My problem is why did a fully charged battery only last 2 hours when the screen was dimmed for most of the time.
  4. SteveAZ

SteveAZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Try a new battery? If I remember they're about $30

I bought a second one just to have a fresh one in my pocket and never ever resorted to needing a backup so just rotated them to keep them at about the same life

I think keeping them charged 100% might be a bit hard on them too - it is with most Li-ion... I always kept whichever battery was serving as backup at ~70% and would only charge to 100% right before using...

I only wired it into the electrical on one moto and used the car mount for the 4x4 or car but other than that I always ran it on the battery even on the other motos... both the batteries still last a long time although admittedly I rarely ever use the unit at all anymore...

These days about 90% of the use for my other GPS is on my bicycle and just run it off the battery with a second battery sitting at ~70% like I did with the montana... I've gotten many cycles (I'd guess about 50+ on each) over the two and a half years I've had it with no obvious degradation in life, not that I'd expect any with just 50 or so cycles per

YMMV
  5. TwoUpTourer

TwoUpTourer Long timer

Oddometer:
    A query for the collective. I do my map creation using Plotaroute.com, and I export it as a GPX track, and waypoints set to None, which results in a simple line displayed on my Montana, with no directions or prompts at all. A friend with a new Zumo XT says that he gets prompts to return to the track when he deviates away from it, which doesn't make sense to me from my Montana experience.

So the question whether any of you with experience with both Montanas and Zumos and the usage of plain tracks could enlighten me on any differences in the way tracks behave between the two device types(if any!).
  6. Grinnin

Grinnin Forever N00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    Have you asked this in the Zumo XT thread?

If someone answers here, I have an add-on question.

I haven't used a Zumo, but I have used a phone with OsmAnd and tracks (not routes). The app can simply display the track (like my Montana) or allows turn-by-turn directions to stay on the track and prompts to return to the track if I don't follow it precisely (like what you describe).

That sounds nice, but . . . . I prepare tracks with the Kurviger web site and export them to the phone. Kurviger is good, but there are times when I don't want to take a detour to get a slightly curvier road so I deviate from the track. OsmAnd often plots a "return" that's a big loop to go back to some point that I missed. I would much prefer that it plotted an efficient way to just rejoin the track.

The add-on question: if the XT navigates tracks, does it gracefully help get back on track somewhere down the line or does it plot a route that goes backwards?

I still use the phone on 1 bike, but really prefer the Montana. Looking at the Zumo XT and the Montana 700i but for now the Montana 650 is my best GPS.
    mbabc likes this.
  7. TwoUpTourer

TwoUpTourer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mine is a 650T , and with my tracks, it is entirely up to me to follow the pink line, or not. No prompts of any kind, which given some of the places I've been riding recently , is exactly how I want it. I really don't want it trying to think on my behalf.
    I didn't know there was a Zumo XT thread, and if need be I'll go there, but I'm trying to assess how it works compared to my Montana, and my guess is that few over in the XT thread will have that experience, whereas the opposite is probably true over here.
    Grinnin likes this.
  8. simon crewe

simon crewe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have both an old Montana 600 and the Zumo XT, the XT can be a pain navigating tracks, as the minute you deviate it nags you constantly to get back on course. I suppose you can mute the voice. I will be keeping my old 600 for off road trails.
    Grinnin likes this.
  9. TwoUpTourer

TwoUpTourer Long timer

Oddometer:
    This is what I'm keen to hear about, as it is the same behaviour my friend's XT is showing, and I'm trying to understand the reasons why it should be doing it.
    Is it because the Montana and XT handle tracks differently, or is it the type of GPX presented to it.

As mentioned above, when I export a map out of Plotaroute.com, I ensure it strips all directional information out of the track, so I wonder if I installed the same GPX on an XT whether it would start trying to give directions back to the track if I deviated.
  10. mbabc

mbabc Curmudgeon trainee

Oddometer:
    Good info. Been looking hard at the XT as my old 600 is getting increasing wonky. Now, if the XT keeps nagging me to get back on a track I've deviated off of, that's a deal breaker.
  11. TwoUpTourer

TwoUpTourer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well watch this space, as my mate with the XT is going to lend it to me so that I can compare how it deals with identical GPX files. I have a gut feeling that it will either be the way he creates the GPX, or some option in the XT that makes it turn tracks into something else. He said something about it being "made into a trip", but he's not tech literate enough to tell me what the hell a 'trip' is supposed to be, so I'll have to work it out myself.
    mbabc and Grinnin like this.
  12. Grinnin

Grinnin Forever N00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'd assume or hope that there's a way to just display the track while riding without navigating it. I.e you should be able to make it treat the track the same way the Montana does or an option to get extra "help" from the unit.
    TwoUpTourer and mbabc like this.
  13. SteveAZ

SteveAZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    They definitely "treat" track logs differently although I can't speak to this behavior specifically - I'm not at all surprised if this is simply the units navigating track differently since they clearly have different nav algorithms

I doubt there's any big difference depending on how they are created but then again you never know with fussier units - at the basic level they're just a large series of log points with associated data and the biggest difference between different logs is the data fields the points contain (e.g. my bicycle GPS has the pedal cadence, heart rate, etc. in the logs)... there is a header that I suppose could affect things...

Routes are the critters that will depend a lot more on how they are created and the method imported into the units
    TwoUpTourer likes this.
  14. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I remember hearing that when the XT first came out, it would not navigate a track. So maybe it is two steps forward and one backward.

Hopefully they will eventually get it so it works as well as the Montana. I navigate tracks all the time and really like this feature, the thick bright line and the Distance to End feature.
    The only problem is that I don't understand what the Distance field is telling me when I am off the track.
  15. markbvt

markbvt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Georgia, Vermont (that's one town, not two states)
    You could always just turn off the off-route recalculation.

The XT can display tracks onscreen without navigating them the same way the Montana can; or you can tell it to convert the track to a trip (basically the XT's name for a route), and it'll navigate it like a route, with turn-by-turn instructions -- but if you look at it in the trip planner, you'll see that it only contains two points, the start and end points, so it can't be edited at all, and if you go off-route and let the XT recalculate, there's a good chance it'll ignore the rest of the route and just figure out its own way to get to the endpoint. So when doing this, it's best to turn off recalculation.

The XT is a really nice unit, though it lacks the configurability of the Montana. The new Montana 700 closes the gap; I just picked up one of those so will start comparing as soon as the damn mount becomes available. It has some distinct advantages over the XT, though the XT's screen is still the best of any device I've seen.

--mark
    TwoUpTourer and mbabc like this.
  16. TwoUpTourer

TwoUpTourer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great info Mark, very helpful. I feel certain now from your description that my friend's XT has converted his track to a route.
    mbabc likes this.
  17. markbvt

markbvt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Making a track display on screen is not as intuitive as it could be. You have to dive several levels deep into menus, so if your friend is not very tech literate, as you mentioned, he likely hasn't figured out how to do it. Converting a track to a trip and navigating it is a lot easier.

--mark
    mbabc likes this.
  18. TwoUpTourer

TwoUpTourer Long timer

Oddometer:
    So you are saying the XTs version of track manager doesn't load a track like the Montana does, that further configuration is required? Or is it that the XT by default performs some kind of automatic conversion to a route, and once disabled will leave tracks untouched?
    I'm just going to have to get hold of his XT and play with it, but at least you have alerted me that it's not an impossible task, it can be done.
    mbabc likes this.
  19. markbvt

markbvt Long timer

Oddometer:
    No, functionally the two units work essentially the same way, but the XT has a completely different operating system from the Montana, so the way you accomplish things is different. Different settings, different management apps, different menu structures.

On both units, if you want a track to display on screen, you have to go into that track's settings and enable it, and you can select a color for it. But how you get to that point is different. The XT doesn't do anything differently with tracks by default; both units just have them in memory and do nothing with tracks by default. If you want to see it you have to enable it, and if you want to navigate it you have to select it and convert it to a route/trip.

Off the top of my head I don't remember the details now, but I think when you've sent it a track, the XT displays a message asking if you want to convert it to a trip. I just automatically click no on that kind of stuff and don't even think about it, which is why I don't remember the details just now, but I'm guessing your buddy clicked yes, so it just showed up in his trip planner, and perhaps he was never even dealing with the actual track on the XT in the first place. But rest assured, you can import it as a proper track and use it as such without having to jump through any hoops more complicated than learning the new menu structure for track settings.

--mark
  20. TwoUpTourer

TwoUpTourer Long timer

Oddometer:
    This really is a great help - I understand exactly what you are saying, and I'm certain my mate did just what you said, said yes to the trip conversion.
    Appreciate you taking the time for the detailed explanation!