Garmin Montana

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by AugustFalcon, May 18, 2011.

1. Grinnin

Grinnin Forever N00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    I don't recall my Montana avoiding left turns at all. Now I'll have to go out and test.

Could it be something that changed since version 5.40 on the Montana 650?

(Wait. 7.60 is over a year old? I'm still living in 2013? Well, it works for me.)

I would think that "avoid left turns" could be easily added to the avoidances preferences. But then we can all think of features that someone else should add to the code.
  2. joefromsf

joefromsf Dark Happens Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've had my 650 since around 2013 navigate using routes nearly all the time (both paved and dirt) and have never noticed it having any aversion to left turns.
  3. TwoUpTourer

TwoUpTourer Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had a route I was trying to create in Japan using Google MyMaps, and in on particular section it kept bouncing around in all sorts of directions other than down this long valley that I wanted it to. As you mention above, I kept experimenting with lots of points until I narrowed it to what was clearly a break in the underlying data either side of a small bridge. I let Google know and they eventually fixed it.
    I couldn't use Basecamp because I didn't have any Japanese maps.
    Ken in Regina likes this.
  4. Ken in Regina

Ken in Regina Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sorry for the elementary question. Can't help it. Too many years of doing tech support. :jjen

...ken...
    LewisNClark likes this.
  5. SteveAZ

SteveAZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think it's more the mid intersection lefts but even then it seems it will take three rights to avoid even an intersection left in general
  6. TwoUpTourer

TwoUpTourer Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm looking to replace my 650T screen protector off Ebay, and there is one advertised as:-

"This protector has a padded layer that allows the absorption of impacts, additionally has another layer that allows the dispersion of blows, which provides a double protection to possible impacts, bumps or scratches that may accidentally suffer your device."

Sounds complete BS to me, given that the protector that it has looks the same as the kind we used on our phones for years before we switched to the thin glass types, whereas another more expensive listing makes no such claims, just a plain scratch resistant film.
    So the question I have is:-
    A. whether the Montana protectors are supposed to be different
    B. Are the screen sizes of the 650 and the 680 the same?
  7. AlH

AlH Long timer

Oddometer:
    The screen sizes are the same- when I bought my 680 I found I had some extra 650 screen protectors - put one right on the 680, perfect fit.
    TwoUpTourer likes this.
  8. guavadude

guavadude Dirt Nap Enthusiast

Oddometer:
    I really like the non glare Screen Patronus protectors. Use them on my digital cameras too.
  9. BergDonk

BergDonk Old Enough to Know Better

Oddometer:
    I originally tried a screen protector and didn't like it, and haven't had one on my 600 or 610 for a collective 150k kms of navigation now. The stock screens are fine, and easier to see and operate without a protector, but of course, YMMV.
    Ken in Regina, wbbnm and Timmer like this.
  10. TwoUpTourer

TwoUpTourer Long timer

Oddometer:
    I thought I knew what was going on with the way Basecamp works, and belatedly find that I don't. I'm confused with their concept of lists and folders, versus my concept of filing away various GPX files I have created externally and imported into Basecamp.

My concept is that it was similar to Windows Explorer, in that I import a GPX and place it into a subfolder such that all those related to a geographic area like the Flinders Ranges are grouped together, and similarly those related to some other region are grouped in their own folder. But I know this isn't correct as it wants to import my GPXs into an existing list, which makes no sense to me at all.

So can someone bring me up to speed on how this list/folder thing works vs storing GPX files?
  11. joefromsf

joefromsf Dark Happens Supporter

Oddometer:
    @TwoUpTourer Here is how the Import function works for me. First I have a folder selected (not an existing list file), then perform import of the GPX file. The GPX import ends up as a new list file within the folder just as I would expect.

So I think it can work as you expect, perhaps you just have the wrong level selected before starting the Import.
  12. BergDonk

BergDonk Old Enough to Know Better

Oddometer:
    Depends a bit too on whether the gpx being imported is a list itself, or not.

Its important to remember that whatever is in a list is also in 'My Collection', everything is in 'My Collection', always.

In database speak, a list is a subset, query, view or whatever, of some of what's in 'My Collection'.
  13. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I always make sure I have the correct folder selected for where I want the new file to go. Then when I select File\Import Basecamp creates a new list in that folder with the folder name being the same as the gpx file name.

I don't understand the concept of a gpx file sometimes being a list and sometimes not.

There are times when I am doing something in Basecamp where it asks me to either select a list or create a new one.
    I don't completely understand what is going on, but I haven't found it worth the trouble to look into this further. I just do what I am told.
  14. SteveAZ

SteveAZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    First thing to get your head wrapped around is that basecramp lists and folders contain *no data*, the lists contain pointers to the data in a database and the folders contain lists or folders

When you import data it goes into the database, not a list... just the entry (pointer) goes in the list

If you copy the entry (pointer) to another list the data doesn't get copied, just the entry (pointer)

If you remove the entry from the list vs. deleting it, the data doesn't go away and it is possible to "orphan" the data such that there are no pointers to the data in any list except the "unlisted data" list - sort of an orphanage for data without homes in any other lists
    mbabc, themandan, guavadude and 4 others like this.
  15. Ken in Regina

Oddometer:
    Yes. Basecamp was designed by database nerds with little or no involvement by user interface designers.

...ken...
    leighwgold likes this.
  16. TwoUpTourer

TwoUpTourer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Steve - for 20 years I administered a commercial mapping application for 150 users called MapInfo, which had a similar concept called 'workspaces', which was a text file that spelt out the location of a whole bunch of map data tables, and what attributes to apply to each one, such as their display colour or font type to use in lables etc. The same data tables could(and did) have many workspace files that pointed to them. I had the same problem explaining to my users that the workspace file contained very little data, just pointers to it.

But.... Basecamp is different. Unlike my MapInfo data tables which were spread over various servers and disk drives, a GPX file is actually imported into a Basecamp database. So what you are saying is beginning to make sense to me, though I'll probably have to sleep on it :-)
  17. Ken in Regina

Oddometer:
    If there was a need for it, it would be a fairly trivial effort to create the sort of distributed database under Basecamp that you describe. All it would need is to make the local lists and folders from multiple users' systems to point to database servers at, say, Garmin instead of on their local hard drives.

...ken...
  18. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    You can also create a Basecamp List from scratch by making routes, tracks, and waypoints. And export it as a gpx file.

I think the fundamental data types in the database are tracks, routes, waypoints, kmz files, and probably a few others that I don't use such as maybe pictures and "adventures"
  19. Ken in Regina

Oddometer:
    I haven't messed with Basecamp settings for a long time but I have a vague memory that maybe you can change the setting for where My Collection lives. If so, you could stick the database (My Collection) on a server on your local network right now ... if you had a local network.

...ken...
  20. Ken in Regina

Oddometer:
    Okay, you can do it if you have 4.2.2 or newer.

Edit, Options, Database Options

Change the location to a different drive on your PC, on your local network or even a Dropbox or Google Drive drive.

...ken...