Garmin Montana

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by AugustFalcon, May 18, 2011.

1. SteveAZ

SteveAZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    I dunno, it all makes sense to me (then again I'm me) and most of my complaints about basecramp aren't so much how it works but how poorly it does many portions of the job
    EmmEff likes this.
  2. guavadude

guavadude Dirt Nap Enthusiast

Oddometer:
    The main thing that will mess you up in a Basecamp is that you’ll need to create a DUPLICATE before you do any editing to a track. Otherwise the edits you make will affect every other instance of that track in every list. As SteveAZ mentioned, the lists only contain pointers to the data.

For Mac users be aware that option-copy in Basecamp doesn’t create a duplicate like it does in every other app. This really messed with me and made me hate BC until I finally figured out what was happening.
  3. TwoUpTourer

TwoUpTourer Long timer

Oddometer:
    I use Basecamp for one thing only, which is to transfer GPX tracks to my Montana. As I've banged on about here often, I use the paid version of Plotaroute.com to map out my tracks, because it uses Google road and aerial maps as my base map, amongst an array of others that it has available as well, which allows me to see the hills and forests and everything else, whilst having the ability to mix both snap-to-road and freeform pathing, and then a large range of tools to edit/trim/re-plot/reduce points etc etc etc, all of it better than Basecamp.

Tracks in Basecamp are primitive compared to Plotaroute.

And unlike Basecamp, I don't have to select either route or track up front, because it is a choice you make at the end when exporting the GPX.
    I guess if I was only a road rider, then having uniformity of the one map source for both Basecamp and my Garmin GPS that ensures that routes will work perfectly might be worth it, but it would have to be giving up a lot.

I ran a track to GPS series of classes recently for a Facebook dirt riders group I'm in, and I took them through track and route creation using a number of tools, firstly with Basecamp, then Google Maps and Google MyMaps, GPS Visualiser, and some android apps, and finally with Plotaroute. Didn't take much for them to arrive at some conclusions.
  4. dstutz

dstutz Long timer

Oddometer:
    A bit extreme considering the existence of "convert route to track" and "convert track to route" functionality in Basecamp.
    CavReconSGT, wbbnm and SteveAZ like this.
  5. SteveAZ

SteveAZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    +1

As mentioned I think it's a clunky tool but it has features that are useful and it's a better way to manage my decades of logs than anything I was doing previously

I have zero intention of doing any personal GNSS data management anywhere but on my own machines (i.e. I'm not going to use a third-party website... period) - I've got basecramp on a dedicated VM on the server at my shop so I can access it from anywhere... all my maps are on there and I never hook a device to it directly, I just shuck .img's and .gpx's between the device and the VM

Maybe someday I'll consider a better tool to put on my server but I'm not feeling enough pain with BC to go down that road at present and it's likely hard to find some other third-party tool that will accept the garmin .img's

Likely the most broken thing with BC is address searching (albeit that may have been addressed in a later version than I'm running) but there are plenty of other issues... just not enough to blow it off entirely

Edit - just for giggles I downloaded the latest BC and address searching is still entirely broken
    wbbnm likes this.
  6. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have tried to learn Furkot a few times but always ran into things it wouldn't do at all or not without some tedious work-around.
    For me the features and things it did better than Basecamp weren't worth continued learning or much less switching. But I imagine it has improved quite a bit over the last couple of years since I gave it a try.

I think the only thing that would get me to switch or even investigate an online trip planning app would be a long detailed point-by-point comparison showing how the newer app was better and with the honesty of showing areas where Basecamp was better.
  7. Ken in Regina

Ken in Regina Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks. That describes exactly my feelings about Basecamp versus Garmin's older Mapsource. I use Basecamp for the occasional thing that Mapsource won't do. Mapsource fits my brain. Basecamp doesn't.

...ken...
  8. TwoUpTourer

TwoUpTourer Long timer

Oddometer:
    What I was referring to is that track creation in Basecamp is freeform, a series of point-to-point lines, and does not conform to the road. As you say, you can create a route an then convert it to a track afterwards.
  9. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am under the impression that all GPS Tracks are just a series of points independent of Basecamp. Converting a route to a track does a good job of getting those points to lie on roads.
    duggram and TwoUpTourer like this.
  10. SteveAZ

SteveAZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    I still use mapsource plenty... I'm not going to load BC on my local machines so I only use it while connected to internet (to my server) and for tasks that aren't quick and simple... I load mapsource on pretty much every bare iron PC with windows since it's very light by comparison and doesn't eat up resources, etc. - it handles the quick stuff well enough
  11. johnpitts01

johnpitts01 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Will this thread cover the new Montana 700i series? Or should I look for a separate thread?
  12. CavReconSGT

CavReconSGT Just the right amount of evil. Supporter

Oddometer:
  13. simon crewe

simon crewe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  14. johnpitts01

johnpitts01 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I read all 27 pages last night! ;-0

I gave up my Montana @ 1 year ago in favor of inReach explorer SE+ for a number of reasons. While I like the inreach one big disappointment is that an internet connection is required to send routes and waypoints to the device via the Explore website. Seems pretty stupid to me as these devices are designed for people using them in remote areas. The new Montana looks like it can communicate using either Basecamp or Explore
  15. Jeff B

Jeff B Socially Awkward

Oddometer:
    Can it communicate using Explore?
  16. Grinnin

Grinnin Forever N00b Supporter

Oddometer:
  17. leighwgold

leighwgold Ph.D. of B.S. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I tried to get my head around Basecamp but it just seemed to be a really hard way to do something simple.
    I create a route in a website, Plotaroute, save the GPX file to my desktop, connect my Montana 610 to the computer, open Garmin folder then GPX folder and drop the file into the GPX folder, then disconnect the Montana. Simples.
  18. BergDonk

BergDonk Old Enough to Know Better

Oddometer:
    And just as simple or simpler in Basecamp, I don't get that is so hard for people :dunno
    dstutz, EmmEff, wbbnm and 1 other person like this.
  19. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Easier since you don't have to create a GPS file. Just use send to.
  20. BergDonk

BergDonk Old Enough to Know Better

Oddometer:
    drag and drop one or more objects is even easier....