Garmin Montana

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by AugustFalcon, May 18, 2011.

1. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I went out on a day ride yesterday. I had created and loaded a ride plan track, but forgot to Show on Map until a few miles into the ride. When I went to look for it, that one and nearly all my tracks were gone.
    I managed to find a similar one in my Archives.

When I got home I checked in Basecamp and it said all the tracks were there. But they were still gone when I disconnected the Montana from the computer.

So I did a Master Reset and they came back!

I did have a problem when I tried to eject the SD card earlier. But I keep all my tracks in Internal Storage.

Another use for Master Reset.
    BergDonk and biker128pedal like this.
  2. deserteagle56

deserteagle56 deserteagle56

Oddometer:
    Good to know! Never had that happen with my Montana but if it does I'll know how to fix it.
  3. johnpitts01

johnpitts01 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a Cigarette Plug to Montana cable available to anyone that wants it. you pay shipping.
  4. LeeU

LeeU Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Switching from 12v cigarette Garmin plug to sae connector. Cut the end off the Garmin 12v cigarette plug soldered sae connector or but it doesn't turn on- reversed the polarity still no turn on. Any special Garmin snafu I'm missing!
    The Garmin 12cable has one wire and a braided ground inside the cable. ????????
  5. LeeU

LeeU Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is there a resistor inside the Garmin cigarette 12v plug?
  6. Grinnin

Grinnin Forever N00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    Are you connecting to the USB port on the Montana or to a powered mount like the car mount (which comes with a cigarette-style accessory plug)?

I'm pretty sure the car mount cigarette-style plug does not have a resistor.
  7. LeeU

LeeU Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The USB port.
  8. Grinnin

Oddometer:
    There are parts of your original description that can be read a couple different ways, so I don't know exactly what you're doing.

But it sounds like you're applying 12V to the USB port which is not a good idea. My Montana starts fine when I apply USB power (5V) to the USB port.
  9. LeeU

LeeU Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks I'll rethink my modification.
  10. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you have a cable with a cigarette lighter connector at one end and a USB connector at the other end, then it is almost certain that the cable has a voltage regulator that steps the 12v down to 5v.
    Grinnin likes this.
  11. Ken in Regina

Ken in Regina Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    True as long as it's a pre-built cable, not something they've hacked together from pieces.

...ken...
  12. LeeU

LeeU Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looks like I put 12volts into the USB port. Now the GPS will not accept the 5v input from the Garmin 12v cable or connect to the computer via Garmin USB cable. Is there reset or internal fuse? It connects fine to my Garmin snap on power device. Hope I didn't blow anything!
  13. Grinnin

Oddometer:
    What is a Garmin snap on power device?

EDIT: A powered mount?
  14. LeeU

LeeU Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Powered mount
  15. SteveAZ

SteveAZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Putting more than ~5.5V on a USB port is bad - often very bad and the more the badder

They are rated for 5.25V
    CavReconSGT likes this.
  16. LeeU

LeeU Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The fuse blew on the 12v plug but not soon enough. Thought the gps would have a safety circuit but who knows??
  17. SteveAZ

SteveAZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Typically the USB type B sockets have transient voltage suppressors on the 5V for surges and static electricity but the surges they are designed for are typically very short duration and a steady applied voltage to these devices will usually cause them to fail and other parts downstream can fail if they fail - depending on the fuse it's very easy for the suppressor to fail long before a fuse would blow

I may do my share of whining about garmin but it's understandable if the unit isn't designed to take more voltage since if you are using USB cables and appliances it's more than way unlikely it will see more than about 5.25V steady (USB specification)

The newer USB-C is a different animal and provides for devices that can go up to 20V, however USB-C supports devices that can only take up to 5.25V too
  18. LeeU

LeeU Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'll look for a Garmin repair guy on line and see what it'll take to fix it. The GPS is functional but no software update capability and no loading or unloading of Basecamp or other data.

Thanks
  19. ramz

ramz Professional Trail Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    SD card???

:ricky
  20. joefromsf

joefromsf Dark Happens Supporter

Oddometer:
    Another option might be an out-of-warranty exchange with Garmin for a refurbished unit. Will probably cost $180-200, not exactly sure of the current pricing.