Garmin Montana

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by AugustFalcon, May 18, 2011.

1. txmxrider

txmxrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't think it's due to the arrows although that too would probably would mess it up. Plus I zoomed in tight and verified that there are no tiny segments underneath. Interestingly the problem appears to be associated only with that very first track (the track closest to Monticello). When I tried joining the second track to a third track it joined perfectly. In fact I was able to continue right on down the line just as Eduro suggested. So far I haven't bumped into another track that acts like that first one. So at the very least this will still help reduce the total number of tracks that I'll have to dork with on the Montana.
    eduro likes this.
  2. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think I finally learned how to do this after an online search (thanks to a snowy cold day in MN).

https://www8.garmin.com/manuals/web...UID-653BCF18-90B2-4B25-BDFC-54FF49CA88E9.html

The key seems to be that the little dialog box you get after saying Join has some tools off to the left. You can use them to put the tracks in the order you want. There is also a tool to invert the points in the track.

It kind of seems like the advice to select the tracks in the order you want them is just an urban legend.
    Ken in Regina and eduro like this.
  3. eduro

eduro Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice! Looks like you can join a lot of tracks & then just manage them with the tools in the dialog box.
  4. txmxrider

Oddometer:
    Well I'll be dipped. That's the ticket all right. I noticed that when I selected the tracks to join it put the misfit track file name at the bottom of the list in the dialog box. When I clicked on my misfit file the UP widget in the menu illuminated (it was greyed out up to that point), I clicked on the UP widget and that moved my misfit file to the top of the list and then it connected everything with no muss no fuss.

So cool, now I have to do is just stitch all these hundred files together!

Thanks for the assist you guys!
  5. Cabrito

Cabrito Should be looking for work Supporter

Oddometer:
    Screen protector baked on, how to remove?

I noticed this summer that my Montana 680 was having some issues with touch accuracy and generally not working very well with the touch. I assume it's due to the screen protector that appears to be baked on and possible giving false touchscreen commands. I re-calibrated it a few times to be sure.

I was riding in a lot of 100+ temps this past summer. I think it just got too hot.

Anyone have this happen or know how to get the old one off? I'll try applying some heat/warmth to it.

[​IMG]
  6. SteveAZ

SteveAZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    The crazing is usually caused by some incompatible liquids coming in contact - happens with some cleaning solutions... had it happen on a different unit

Should just peel off though... start at a corner and avoid pulling upward, more parallel to the display, some folks have pulled up the touchscreen removing the protector... the unit I recently removed it on doesn't have touch but it came off easily regardless
  7. simon crewe

simon crewe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    As Steve AZ says, pull the old piece off slowly & carefully to avoid damaging the screen. My Montana does some strange things in high temps. & I live in Europe!
  8. Cabrito

Cabrito Should be looking for work Supporter

Oddometer:
    The "crazing" is under it between the protector and the GPS. I haven't cleaned it with anything other than water. It does not want to lift off the screen at all. I think the heat must have glued it on. It's a Garmin branded screen protector. Noted about avoiding pulling upward, makes sense. I'll try a warm damp cloth on it first and see if it helps.
  9. Bengt Phorks

Bengt Phorks Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You can make a image file of your tracks with this tool then place the resulting image file in the Garmin folder in the GPS. The gmapsupp.img file can be renamed to whatever you like. The image file is transparent and will be an overlay on the map that you have installed.
    https://www.javawa.nl/imgfromgpx_en.html
  10. MadM

MadM Dreamer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anyone knows why Montana 610 would automatically enable all installed maps? I have 4 maps installed on the device, each one for a different purpose and each one is assigned to its own profile. But when I turn the 610 on and check profile map, they are all enabled across all profiles.
  11. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    i know it can't be done on the Montana, and you'll have to use a laptop to edit/transfer everything back and forth to it...

but when I had the Montana/Monterra/Oregon/60csx at home for testing, I would download all the tracks I wanted into my phone and merge them there. at first I was really surprised that you couldn't turn on/off visibility of lots of tracks at one time like I could on my phone, and that the stand alone couldn't merge tracks, since I always had those abilities on phone apps.... but anyway.

select a hundred or so tracks at one time:
    Screenshot_20201231-055336.png

hit the"merge" button:
    Screenshot_20201231-055353.png

wait a few seconds (phones are fast!)
    Screenshot_20201231-055507.png

and then I have both the original 100+ tat tracks on display and the new single merged track that was created from them:
    Screenshot_20201231-060351.png

of course, I can turn a hundred tracks on/off with one touch, or see all of them at once, but that's beside the point.

if you're looking to have this ability when you're at the campfire (without pulling out a laptop / generator / extension cord) , exploit that supercomputer in your pocket. you can even pop the track onto your standalone GPS sdcard, if you have a card reader. someday stand alone units will be able to transfer files wirelessly, I hope !
    AugustFalcon and ramz like this.
  12. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:

What happens when the tracks have different directions, do you need to fix all the track directions first?
  13. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have noted a similar effect on my 600 where every few months I have to go thru my Profiles and change what is enabled and what is not. Like your case it is usually an issue that more maps are enabled than I thought.
    It is interesting that one of my Profiles has Topo maps enabled and City Navigator disabled. I don't thik I have never had CN become enabled in that profile. No idea why this happens.

I have also noted a similar problem where after a few months some tracks that I have selected to Show on Map are no longer shown. Actually this is not a terrible "feature". It keeps me from having to periodically go thru and Hide tracks I don't wish to see.
  14. ohgood

Oddometer:

hmm, good question... here's a screenshot that shows the merge process without fiddling with the order or direction...
    Screenshot_20201231-134039.png

then changing the direction of one track

Screenshot_20201231-134046.png

and finally both chanting direction and order
    Screenshot_20201231-134053.png

if the user wanted to change the direction of all the tracks in the final merged track.... I would merge it normally and then create a new copy of the merged track, but select "change direction" during the process...
    Screenshot_20201231-134433.png

the 8,000 miles worth of tracks took about 10 seconds to merge. I think I have some merged tracks in there already :-) lol
  15. txmxrider

Oddometer:
    Is Locus Map Pro the app you use for this? Interestingly I don't see that on the I-phone app store. Looks like maybe it's through Google. I'll have to check into this because, as you point out, it's pretty handy to have in your pocket, but I have to confess that I'm not all that proficient with technology. You won't believe how many times I've come *this* close to slinging my phone out the car window out of frustration!
  16. ohgood

Oddometer:
    that's the bad part, it's Android only. I'm actually running the Monterra.app on my phone this week, just to compare to the beta version of locus.... I don't know if an iOS app that can edit tracks, unfortunately.
  17. txmxrider

Oddometer:
    Well shoot. It was a good thought you have there anyway, thanks for trying. I have MotionX-GPS on my phone already and it does some stuff but I'm not sure what exactly, I haven't messed around with it much. My plan was to have it as a backup to the Montana just in case.
    ohgood likes this.
  18. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    That is a bummer, I was pretty sold on what you were showing me. A couple years ago, I bought an Android phone to give it a try, my brain really did not click with the user interface, I found it very frustrating to use.
    ohgood and wbbnm like this.
  19. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Me too. But I really needed a backup for the Montana on a complicated trip where I was the only one with a gps. So I forced myself to learn Osmond and Locus well enough to get by.

I have a big problem with phone apps because my icon vocabulary is so limited, and there seems to be minimal logic behind associating a shape with a function.
    ohgood likes this.
  20. Ken in Regina

Ken in Regina Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah, iconography has serious limitations in indicating what function you might get. Words are pretty good at distinguishing between functions because that's exactly what verbal vocabulary was created for - communicating specific meaning. But you soon run out of pictures that are specific enough to be useful.

...ken...