Garmin Montana

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by AugustFalcon, May 18, 2011.

1. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wow that's really nice and good stuff to know. thanks.

I will definitely be looking into this too.
    Ken in Regina and TwoUpTourer like this.
  2. Ridin'nFishin

Ridin'nFishin Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I did a update thru Garmin on my Montana 600 and the speed limit indicator is now gone. Is this a easy fix or what? Thanks.
  3. simon crewe

simon crewe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    First thing to try would be factory reset.
  4. atlas cached

atlas cached Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Which firmware version is it updated to? Which maps are installed?
  5. Ridin'nFishin

Oddometer:
    Thanks,
    I did a factory reset.
    Don't know what firmware.
    City Nav. N A 2015.4

I will go for a ride tomorrow and see if it works.
    simon crewe likes this.
  6. Bengt Phorks

Bengt Phorks Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I make screen protectors from a iPad screen protector. Got a bunch of them for 2 or 3 dollars each from a Chinese company.
    I use a paper cutter to cut out the rectangular screens. Heat doesn't seem to bother them.
    seasider likes this.
  7. Bengt Phorks

Bengt Phorks Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Do you mean the speedometer in the NUVI map mode? The speed display turns red when you exceed the posted speed limit. It may not work on less traveled roads.
    Is your City Navigator map enabled in the map setup mode? you can find it by pressing the 3 bars icon on the side of the map screen.
  8. Ridin'nFishin

Oddometer:
    I went for a ride yesterday and the speed limit info did not work. I just saw you post Bengt Phorks and without going for a test ride it's working.

Thanks for all the help!!!
  9. biker128pedal

biker128pedal Super Lurker

Oddometer:
    Related to the speed limit warning. Is there a way to make it so it won’t turn red when one goes faster than it’s posted speed limit? When the light is right I cannot read the red numbers on a dark background. The sight helps but if I cannot red it when a couple mph over it does not.
  10. SteveAZ

SteveAZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just don't go over the speed limt

Ar, ar, like I would never do that

Can't change it though so I just look at my speed if it's red, knowing I'm likely over the limit... the speed limits aren't 100% correct anyway so I wouldn't have blind faith in them regardless
  11. Ken in Regina

Ken in Regina Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    @biker128pedal, If you've been using a GPS to read your speed for any length of time, you should have an excellent idea by now exactly what your speedo error is and can adjust for that. So your speedo should be a good alternative when you decide to go fast enough to turn the GPS speed display red.

Or, what @SteveAZ said. :photog

...ken...
  12. biker128pedal

biker128pedal Super Lurker

Oddometer:
    Yea yea I know. It just bugs me. Especially after losing my old Camry by getting t-boned by a stop sign runner and replaced it with a used Hyundai Tucson that is off.
  13. cablebandit

cablebandit Web Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I think the speed limit displaying has something to do with the moon phases or other non-sense. Mine comes and goes on a whim. Somedays it's there and works, other days it just decides it's not happening that day. I just chalk it up to a Garmin feature.
  14. Ridin'nFishin

Oddometer:
    Mine is working again after I set Nuvi mode.
  15. SteveAZ

SteveAZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Does someone want some screen protectors? I've got more than I'll ever use - for some reason they include them with the mounts even though they work for both montana and 276cx
    seasider likes this.
  16. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Problem and solution.

I just got back from a long drive and dirt bike ride trip to New Mexico. I used the Montana for routing for the drive. I had continued problems with the unit doing wacky things while routing.
    After seeing what was happening I reasoned that the problem was that Routing was avoiding Major roads, but not Interstates. I went into the Routing Avoidance menu and discovered that indeed somehow Avoid Major roads was set.

So I turned that off but still had the problem. Went back and again Avoid Major roads was set again. Then I realized that when I used a finger swipe to scroll thru the settings I was hitting the Major road line and resetting the option.

So the lesson learned was to use the arrows to scroll and not swiping the screen.

Actually the above is a gross simplification of all the stuff I tried to fix this problem, including a Master Reset.
    eddyturn, BergDonk, dcwilcox and 5 others like this.
  17. renogeorge

renogeorge Let's ride!!

Oddometer:
    Had a charging problem on my 2 year old Montana 610T. It would charge through the USB port but not in the rugged mounts on either of my bikes. Checked and double checked for power to the mount. Both were fine. Called Garmin support. They insist on sending me a new Rugged Mount even though I keep telling them it is the Montana. So eventually they offered to replace my Montana with a refurbished unit and still send me the Rugged Mount for $160. I'm not to impressed with the Montana's quality. But I have to say the customer service seems pretty good to me. YMMV
  18. Anders-

Anders- 690R

Oddometer:
    My 600 also broke, seem to recall it was some software error that I couldn’t fix, this was after a bunch of years though so I figured it was due for a replacement anyway - got a new fancy 680 with gps+glonass.
    On the plus side, I now got a spare lithium battery for the gps :lol3
  19. SteveAZ

SteveAZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    The power button on mine completely broke and by the time it broke completely I'd already gotten a different unit that I like a lot better

I figured spending $160 was better than having a paperweight, even if just to sell... offered it up a few times but people were expecting me to sell it for not much more than the $160 so what's the point?

Sat unused for a few years but bought another handlebar mount for the electric bike I loan to people so now it has a home - is good for that, just set it on the map page with the four data field screen and they've got a GPS that shows the trip distance, speed, temperature (from my bike), and whatever we want in the last field
  20. atlas cached

atlas cached Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    All a matter of perspective. Some people wouldn't be happy if the replacement was free. I think it is great they have a refurbished program like they do. I have never recieved a refurbished that wasn't just as nice as the new unit it replaced.