Garmin Montana

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by AugustFalcon, May 18, 2011.

1. SteveAZ

SteveAZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think in some ways the refurbs are better!
    AugustFalcon and atlas cached like this.
  2. renogeorge

renogeorge Let's ride!! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Could be! My refurbed 600 went 5-6 years as compared to my new 610t which didn’t last 2. Maybe the refurbers fix manufacturing defects??
  3. Anders-

Anders- 690R

Oddometer:

Well, my brand new 600 lasted several years as well. Maybe the 600 is just plain better :lol3
    Ken in Regina likes this.
  4. Ken in Regina

Ken in Regina Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I bought my refurbed Montana 6 or 7 years ago and it's showing no signs of quitting yet.

...ken...
  5. atlas cached

atlas cached Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    All Refurbs are QC by a human, always better than mass production QC one in every 1000 or more units.
    renogeorge likes this.
  6. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    On my first refurb the receiver went out after a month. Garmin sent me a new one free. Have had it at least 5 years.
    The screen has lasted longer because I haven't run over it in the driveway with my truck yet.

On each refurb I had to get an new CNNA because serial numbers didn't match anymore. Each time I got the latest version. The first one was from 2013 to 2017. These updates were free.

edit: I never thought much about it before, but getting a free CN update is kind of like getting ~$75 off the refurb price, assuming you wanted an update.
    renogeorge likes this.
  7. Jeff B

Jeff B Socially Awkward

Oddometer:
    Now I feel stupid for owning a 680T trouble free for what seems like forever. :scratch
    Grinnin likes this.
  8. Ken in Regina

Ken in Regina Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Shame on you. :dirtdog

...ken...
  9. bkoz

bkoz test

Oddometer:
    I just look and I registered my Montana 600 in August 2013.
  10. deserteagle56

deserteagle56 deserteagle56

Oddometer:
    My 600, bought brand new right after Garmin introduced them many years ago, is still going strong...but I did have to do a master reset a few months ago when I noticed a bunch of my waypoints were missing!
  11. Grinnin

Grinnin Forever N00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    My reset story is one of my few Montana problems.

I bought it in Anchorage then a short time later was in NWT. I started it up after supper to look at possibilities for the next day. While it was starting, I wiped the dust off the screen. My wiping caused a reset and also answered "yes" to the "are you sure" message. All this before it was displaying anything. As the display started, I watched in horror as it said it would erase all my user data and go ahead and do that. (I did lose the recorded track for that day, but not all my data.)

I find it hard to refrain from wiping off the screen while it starts, but I have learned to refrain anyway.

That was 2013 and it's still working fine.
    renogeorge likes this.
  12. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    So does losing the Current Track data always happen with a Master Reset. I did one last week and I see I lost some track data. It never occurred to me that the Master Reset was the issue.

Wonder if you can save the Current Track data by Archiving it or something before doing the MR.

I always seem to get undesirable things happen to my track recording settings when I do an MR. This time and probably others it switched from Archive Daily to Archive when full.
    I think I have it change track recording parameters.
  13. Grinnin

Grinnin Forever N00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have no idea. I can't recall a reset since that accidental one in 2013.

The Montana retained about a week of tracks between Anchorage and Ft. Simpson but my reset deleted Ft. Simpson to Ft. Providence. It's not like there are a huge number of options between those. :lol3 It would have had the default setting for archiving which I've changed to daily since then.

It looks like archiving might preserve the recorded tracks. Or it may have back then.
  14. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have never lost a track other than maybe the Current track during a MR.

Despite what the screen says, the unit does not erase any of your loaded tracks, waypoints, or routes.
    Nor does it erase Archived tracks. In my case these are virtually always Current tracks saved at the end of each day.
  15. joefromsf

joefromsf Dark Happens Supporter

Oddometer:
    Want to Buy - Montana 6xx Series GPS

My Montana 650 display is starting to go bad, with a band of dark lines appearing on the screen. I just had a poor experience with a "new" replacement screen from China, so now turning to fellow inmates. Anyone selling?
  16. CavReconSGT

CavReconSGT Just the right amount of evil. Supporter

Oddometer:
    joefromsf likes this.
  17. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    If the 600 doesn't work out, You might want to look into getting a refurbished unit from Garmin. They used to be ~$180. I don't know if the knock-off replacement screen would be a factor.
    I totally demolished my screen and did this.

Another advantage of the refurb is that Garmin will give you a new City Navigator if you have been using the Downloaded version.
    joefromsf likes this.
  18. joefromsf

Oddometer:
    CavReconSGT likes this.
  19. joefromsf

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I should give Garmin a call. Ebay screen not a factor as I put the original back in. The refurb price is definitely cheaper than what I have seen available for 6xx units on ADV and ebay and the painless transfer of my City Navigator is a plus. Wonder if they still have refurbs for 650 units. Note I did have some issues with Out-of-warranty refurb exchange process with my old 276c years ago. First refurb had a non-operational card reader, replacement unit leaked in the first light rain, third unit was fully functional but only lasted two weeks until I road my bike of a cliff on the TAT. So kind of hit or miss on refurbs for older units.
  20. joefromsf

Oddometer:
    Just got off the phone with Garmin. There are no more Out-of-Warranty refurbished replacements available for the Montana 650 unit. Not too surprised.