Garmin Montana

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by AugustFalcon, May 18, 2011.

1. seasdes

seasdes Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just a thought. I have a Montana 610 and a 64s and was running OSM maps from a popular site. I had a problem where both GPSs would shut down /turn the screen off randomly while navigating. Over a period of 12 months I literally tried everything including getting a replacement Montana from Garmin and the problem remained. I then tried Garmin maps and have not had a problem since. Just wondering if there is some incompatibility between Garmin and OSM.
  2. CavReconSGT

CavReconSGT Just the right amount of evil. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had used OSM maps with my 600 for months with no problems that I remember.

KR
  3. Anders-

Anders- 690R

Oddometer:
    Same here (600+680). Happens very seldom though.
    As the navigation resumes once it’s back up and running I haven’t considered it a huge issue. Seems like it only happens during ”road navigation”, following tracks or navigating ”straight line to waypoint” is fine.
  4. NSFW

NSFW who else would love noobs? Super Supporter

Oddometer:

happened to me twice, last night was the most recent. the screen went to sleep mode even though it's externally powered and batt was 100% charged.

both happened when it got dark.

at both instances, i was using it on a "track mode" and i was already many miles away from the final destination. could it be the unit got confused sensing i was moving away from the desired destination?
  5. ADW

ADW 'tard bike restos

Oddometer:
    Ran into a problem today on my Montana 610...when trying to search a Waypoint name, my screen goes "static-y" and illegible. See photos below. It only happens on the search for a Waypoint. Any ideas?

Attached Files:

6. Burner25

Burner25 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi all
    When I’m following a track which loops over itself in say a figure of eight, are there any settings to set a direction of travel??, I missed a bit of ride out last time out as the screen started turn off and turn in a section like it couldn’t find which way I was travelling ( off road)! which confused me .

Hope I’ve explained that ok.
    Thanks
  7. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I split the track and change the colors. So I am following green one way and red the other way.
    EmmEff likes this.
  8. Burner25

Oddometer:
    Go on then ,give me a clue how to do that?
    Grinnin likes this.
  9. Yossarian™

Yossarian™ Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer:
    When I have done stuff like that, I have always done it in Basecamp and then transferred it to the Montana.
    EmmEff and Yinzer Moto like this.
  10. Grinnin

Grinnin Forever N00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    The best I can suggest is to use the up arrows and a topo map.

Just displaying the track doesn't show direction arrows. Navigating the track doesn't either, but it does show when the track ascends or descends. Navigating the track with a topo map displayed can show you the direction of travel for hills.

To navigate a track, you need to have that track as a favorite (i.e. not archived). Then you get there by selecting "where to", then "tracks".

Would be a PITA for a track that loops a lot, but if there are 1 or 2 in a day it might be workable. If, that is, the track ascends or descends enough to cause the Montana to display up mountain and down mountain icons when you navigate the track.

I have Garmin topo maps, but I believe there are topos available free from other sources.
  11. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Like he said, I try to identify the problem areas at home, in front of the computer. Pick a point on the track and right click, split track. Then right click and change color.
    rexbro likes this.
  12. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    As noted above I have put arrow waypoints labelled "Go this way first time" in at such intersections.

I have never heard of the Montana having the capability of putting direction arrows on tracks like are shown in Basecamp and Mapsource
  13. Burner25

Oddometer:
    A lot of the green lanes I follow loop over, I usually record the ride when I’m following someone then use again on a later date, by that time I’ve forgot the route so at a crossroad I may go the wrong way, it’s not a big thing but some lanes are harder the wrong way , I just thought I’d ask if there was a way to get a direction.

Thanks for the help lads
  14. joefromsf

joefromsf Dark Happens Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just got a used Montana 610 and have purchased the download version of the CN North America Map from Garmin. It loaded it onto my SD card which is fine for the GPS but I would also like it available in Basecamp without having to boot up and connect the GPS. How do I accomplish this?
  15. Yossarian™

Yossarian™ Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer:
    How did you download it to the Montana in the first place?

If you used Garmin Express, then the mapset should already be available in Basecamp.
  16. joefromsf

joefromsf Dark Happens Supporter

Oddometer:
    Garmin Express loaded it to the Montana. Its only visible in BC when the GPS is connected and lists its location as the SD card under Manage Maps. Did I miss an option during the download to direct it to my computer?
  17. Ken in Regina

Ken in Regina Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Probably. I'm going to speak to the map update process for a moment. When you have a quarterly update available, Garmin express has three possible options: a) download to unit, b) download to Basecamp, c) download to both.

I don't remember the exact wording of the three options but you get the idea.

I have never purchased a downloadable City Navigator mapset so I'm not sure if Express will give you those options on the initial download but should give them to you when there is an update.

If Garmin Express allows it - and I can't promise anything related to the downloadable maps - if you click on your unit on the Express home page you may get a page that has a heading of "Map Options". One of the options on that page will be Install Map to Computer. It will tell you the location on your computer that it's going to put the map and there will be a box to click that says "Install to Computer".

Let us know if that works.

...ken...
    ADVer likes this.
  18. BergDonk

BergDonk Old Enough to Know Better

Oddometer:
    Get the lowest Gb USB stick you can, likely 8 Gb, format it, then in Windows Xcopy the Montana to the stick via a Run command; xcopy G:\ H:\ /S /I /E /H where G and H are the Montana and stick drives respectively, so swap them for your drive letters accordingly. You've then cloned the Montana and can use the stick in your PC instead of the Montana. Basecamp will think its the real thing, and its also faster.
  19. SteveAZ

SteveAZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    This is easy to do without SD cards, backflips or pointing to the north star while standing on one foot and rubbing your nose - you just need to create a virtual "removable device" (what basecramp looks for maps on) and copy the maps onto it

These guys have various tools and links: https://www.javawa.nl/english.html

This is the page to create the virtual device: https://www.javawa.nl/virtualdevice.html

And this is the map manager utility that can ensure they are visible in BC: https://www.javawa.nl/jdm_en.html
  20. Ken in Regina

Ken in Regina Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you want to do it whenever there's a new update, here's what you might see in Express. As I said, I'm not sure if the downloadable maps work exactly the same way as those that are preloaded on the device when you buy it, like a Nuvi or Zumo.

First you connect your "device", in this case either the Montana with the SD card in it, or the "cloned" SD card as suggested above. You should see Express open automatically to this window:

Express 1.jpg

Select "View Details" and you should see this window:

Express 2.jpg

Select "Installation Options" and you should see this next window:

Express 3.jpg

Check the option you want; in your case, "Computer and Device" if you're updating to a new version of the map, otherwise "Computer Only" if you already have this version of the map on your Montana and you just want to get it installed for Basecamp. Then select "Install", or "Install All" if there is more than one update (eg. the Timezone map, too, in my case).

Voila! Now it's on your computer and in your device, if downloadable maps work the same as preinstalled maps. Sorry that I can't test your exact case because I don't have downloadable maps. Mine are all preinstalled (Nuvis and a Zumo).

Regardless of how you choose to proceed, you should take a look at the JaVaWa tools, as @SteveAZ suggested. They are a marvelous addition to anyone's map toolkit.

...ken...
    BergDonk and Anders- like this.