Garmin Montana

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by AugustFalcon, May 18, 2011.

1. Ken in Regina

Ken in Regina Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    One additional note, Basecamp is - as in many cases - dumb as a bag of hammers when it comes to certain kinds of map usage. In this case, if you have a mapset installed on the computer AND in a connected device, it lists both in the map dropdown selector with no indication which is on the computer and which is on the device.

The only indication you get is if you inadvertently select the one that's on the attached device (or virtual device SD card) Basecamp will pop up a window telling you that this will likely be slower than using the one installed on the computer. Arrrgh! One of the many reasons I still use Mapsource for anything that I don't need Basecamp for.

...ken...
  2. rexbro

rexbro Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Since you purchased the download CNNA from Garmin you can download as many copies as you want for a year. You just need a SD card for each copy. The cards/map will only work in the device you purchased it for though.
    I have three Montana 610s and at least three SD cards for each.
    When I’m working in Basecamp I just pop one of the cards in the PC - only time I connect the device is for data transfer. I keep a spare card with me on the bike too. :ricky
    BergDonk likes this.
  3. MizzouRider

MizzouRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    My very old Montana 600 just died. The power button is gone. And the screen will not stay on. When it’s on it has a white background, then blue, then some random city, then it shuts down.
    Is there a separate thread for selling GPSs? Mine is heading for the trash can, I’d like to just buy a used one. Not wanting to go to eBay if I can help it.
    Thx
    Jeff
  4. joefromsf

joefromsf Dark Happens Supporter

Oddometer:
    GPS' for sale are listed in the Bike Parts and Accessories forum. I bought a used Montana there last month.
    MizzouRider likes this.
  5. MizzouRider

MizzouRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I’ll look over there.
    Zero available. Looks like eBay is it.
  6. MizzouRider

MizzouRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well,, my Montana 600 is working fine today. Except for a few vertical lines across the bottom of the screen. And they are shorter than they were. I wonder if my 600 was just too hot. I went into a restaurant and it was in direct hot sun.
    Also, the way it’s mounting to my T7 it’s hitting the top of the T7s screen. It’s probably getting more vibration than it has in the past. Could that be the issue?
    Another Question. I haven’t done a software upgrade or updated maps in 4 or 5 years. You Montana experts, would you do an update? Update maps? Or would that more than likely cause more problems? Or, is it not worth the cost on this older GPS??
    Thx
  7. Ken in Regina

Oddometer:
    Whether to update or not... Very much a personal issue.

Some folks are of the opinion that as long as it's doing what they want it to do, don't mess with it.

Some keep it up to date regularly even if it's working fine.

I'm in the second bunch. But I'm a tinkerer.

...ken...
    MizzouRider likes this.
  8. Yossarian™

Yossarian™ Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer:
    I've been keeping my Montana 650t current with software updates, and they haven't given me any problems. I think that it's solved a few along the way.
    MizzouRider likes this.
  9. simon crewe

simon crewe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Even if you keep your existing maps - I would at least use the latest firmware which is 7.6, I seem to remember in the Montana's later years they resolved many issues.
    MizzouRider likes this.
  10. SteveAZ

SteveAZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    I update every now and then but keep all the old versions of firmware I've done so can roll back to any of them

Since I don't use my unit at all for the most part - just on my loaner bicycle - I don't bother with map updates, even free ones...
    MizzouRider likes this.
  11. MizzouRider

MizzouRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks all. I’ll give the update a shot. Might help it communicate better with Basecamp also.
    Thanks
  12. SteveAZ

SteveAZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    GPSrchive guy as firmware versions going back to who knows when so I wouldn't be concerned about rolling back to whatever
    CavReconSGT likes this.
  13. JT

JT Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well since nobody else has mentioned it, Garmin used to offer out of warranty exchange for refurbished units for about $150. You send them the old one, they send you a fresh refurb. Cheaper than a used one on ebay and a warranty. Call them at 8AM central before they get busy and keep you on hold for 30 minutes.
    davek likes this.
  14. MizzouRider

MizzouRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    This was my original plan. In fact my Montana that was acting up was a replacement refurbished one. When I got through on the phone, I was told they no longer offer a swap for Montana units. Too old. Yep, not good news in my opinion.
  15. TwoUpTourer

TwoUpTourer Long timer

Oddometer:
    I only do tracks with my Montana 650T, almost never routes, and create said tracks on Plotaroute.com .
    So I've not seen any compelling reason to update my maps, which for here in Australia is Topo v5, nor use Basecamp or any other Garmin software, just plugging the 650 into the laptop's USB port and dropping my externally created GPX files into the appropriate folder. Simple, fast, and pain free, and from a track only perspective, effective.

Perhaps I'm missing some important point?
    Anders- likes this.
  16. Ken in Regina

Oddometer:
    Is your Australian Topo routable? I haven't used Topo Canada for quite awhile now but it seems to me that it is not routable. If your maps are not routable you are doing exactly the right thing using tracks.

As regards getting updated maps, if your Topo Australia maps still have accurate details for everywhere you ride, there's no reason to update. That's true of any maps.

In short, if it works for you, it's the right way to do it. For you.

...ken...
    Cabrito and BergDonk like this.
  17. TwoUpTourer

TwoUpTourer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes the map is routable, but have rarely used it that way, as most of our riding is on 'roads', if that is what they claim to be, are unlikely to be of the routable kind. Some I can see on the Montana, but looking right in front of me, little evidence that there is, or ever was, some semblence of human intervention.
  18. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    So how do you create tracks if the roads do not show up on your maps? Google Earth?

I use Basecamp, but it isn't much use if the roads and trails I want don't show up on any map I have access to.

I have created a few tracks by just drawing them on trails I can see in GE and them importing them.

I imagine you are reusing some of yours and other's tracks too.
  19. Ken in Regina

Oddometer:
    I think you misunderstood. He said that some of the places they ride show up on the Montana maps but the road/trail is barely detectable right in front of them where they are riding.

...ken...
  20. Ken in Regina

Oddometer:
    My Topo Canada is like that in places. On the map a road/trail shows up as fairly significant but when you ride it it is clear that traffic has been minimal or nonexistent in recent years.

It depends on when the initial map data was originally plotted and the reason the road/trail existed in the first place. Logging roads are particularly problematic. They are pretty substantial when they are built and first in use. But often they are only used for logging so when active logging stops and they are no longer maintained, about the only use they get are occasional 4x4s during hunting season so they deteriorate fairly rapidly. That's just one example.

...ken...