Garmin Montana

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by AugustFalcon, May 18, 2011.

1. Ken in Regina

Ken in Regina Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I don't ride at night any more so no need to turn it down, so that will be the difference.

...ken...
  2. SteveAZ

SteveAZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    I ride the bicycle a lot at night - never on streets though! Around here, night or day, that's for those with a death wish

I don't like motos or four wheels going any distance, especially xc, at night too
  3. seasider

seasider Just a rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Mine does so I decided to silicone the power button to keep water out and use it as is until I decide on a replacement. Powers up and works with Basecamp just fine as well.
    CavReconSGT and NotadenBennettii like this.
  4. JT

JT Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I cut a piece of plastic tube from a ballpoint refill and siliconed it into the power button hole. Worked good as new.
  5. NotadenBennettii

NotadenBennettii Somewhere in the darkness...

Oddometer:
    Yeah that's what I was thinking of doing, be shame to throw them out if that's the only issue.
    Though as SteveAZ mentioned, changing the brightness could be a problem, mine mostly hold their brightness settings correctly when in the mount, set to 100% for daytime & 50% for night, swaps correctly when the mode changes, but they have a bug that sometimes at night if the power is disconnected they'll go to 100% & need manual resetting.
    I can find no other way to set the brightness other than the power button.

JT's idea might be the best solution as it makes the power button still usable.
  6. NotadenBennettii

NotadenBennettii Somewhere in the darkness...

Oddometer:
    Yes only the basic 700 model can use AA's, there was some issue with the inreach stuff apparently, and you have to buy the battery pack as an extra, can't just remove the standard battery and use AA's as with the 600 series & 276CX.
  7. seasider

Oddometer:
    Crazy thing is I just checked it this am and apparently the silicone is firm enough and is acting as a swith now and working perfect! Hopefully this lasts a while
    JT and Ken in Regina like this.
  8. SteveAZ

SteveAZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mine worked for a while with the cover torn up but down the road the button broke completely off the circuit board and just plain wouldn't function

I could turn it on by plugging it into something but that pretty much useless for handheld and bike and since I'd already started using other units with the vehicles it became more a paperweight... suppose I was lucky and did the refurb before that expired and now the unit will likely last a long time since the only use it sees is on my electric bike that I loan out...
    CavReconSGT likes this.
  9. MizzouRider

MizzouRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    My power button is shot. I’m taking it in and out of the cradle to turn it on and off.
  10. stormdog

stormdog Long timer

Oddometer:
    My Montana 650 T has what I assume is a screen failure developing. It now has two lines running across the screen at about a third of the way from each end. Other then that it still works as new, so I would like to repair it.
    Does anyone know of a reputable repair shop in the US?
    5B185467-88A5-46E5-9935-D67250033465.jpeg
  11. atlas cached

atlas cached Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Has your Montana been exposed to any moisture recently?

Many user have resolved similar issues by placing in a bag of rice for a few days.

If you still need a new screen, they are available on eBay, and not terribly difficult to replace.

See GPSrChive > Montana 6x0 > Specifications > Montana Tear Down for reference.
    stormdog likes this.
  12. SteveAZ

SteveAZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you feel the need to use a desiccant, silica gel beads work very well, are reusable, have moisture indicating color and very inexpensive - 1kg is in the $10'ish range... wouldn't bother with household substitutes
  13. atlas cached

Oddometer:
    True, but most users are far more likely to have the rice immediately available, which can be used until the other products are procured. 8^)
  14. SteveAZ

SteveAZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't have any rice here, I do have a large mason jar full of silica gel - doesn't everyone? :wink:

If not they should!

Silica gel is reusable (has plenty of other advantages too) so once procured you have it and shelf life is pretty much forever...
    wbbnm likes this.
  15. atlas cached

Oddometer:
    The average humidity here is usually in the single digits, sometimes barely into the double digits. What is it in your neck of the woods?

I've never really had any need for the stuff, so I do not have a jar of it in the pantry.

What all do you use yours for?

:hmmmmm
  16. seasider

Oddometer:
    Mine did that and cleared on its own is about three days during use
  17. stormdog

stormdog Long timer

Oddometer:

Thanks for the tip, I was ten days into a two week trip and there had been rain off and on. I will try to dry it out.
  18. SteveAZ

SteveAZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Don't know where you are - here it's quite dry most of the time... from September to July dewpoint is typically between -5°C to ~5-10°C.... but right now it's wet as all get go - it's the monsoon season, this morning dewpoint is 24°C - yuck, can't wait for this to be over

I bought that jug of it for ~$10 quite a while ago... doesn't get used much but it's there... most of the time it only gets used for the electronics I work on and only as a preventative... but I've also used it to dry things out that have gotten damp - works well, color change is useful...

I don't have rice and would never use it as a desiccant anyway - call it desiccant snobbery... I don't keep rice around regardless - I don't eat it that much... :D
  19. MizzouRider

MizzouRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    My Montana had so many vertical lines running up and down the screen I couldn’t follow it any more. That and the power button was a big hole in the top, I finally gave up on it. So, I have one coming in from eBay. Hopefully I’ll be able to get it up and running. I can’t remember if I need keys to unlock maps or what..
    my question is, I run it sideways. It sits on top of the speedometer on my T7 (see pic). The speedometer tends to vibrate on rough roads. So, I’m assuming it shakes the Montana also. Could that be what created the lines running up and down on the screen? Anyone else had them? Any known fixes for them? Thanks IMG_3173.jpg
  20. Anders-

Anders- 690R

Oddometer:

Don't know whether vibration caused the issue with your gps, but I've suspended my montana a little extra to keep it readable on my 690.
    The gps mounts using two ram balls and I've stuffed both of them in a bicycle innertube - it doesn't cancel all vibration, but it does a lot better than just the stock setup.
    MizzouRider likes this.