Garmin Montana

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by AugustFalcon, May 18, 2011.

1. atlas cached

atlas cached Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This black (or missing) lines in the display are almost always due to moisture inside the device, which totally makes sense if your power button integrity was compromised.
    MizzouRider likes this.
  2. Ken in Regina

Ken in Regina Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm using a standard RAM mount with a short stem on the left handlebar to mount my refurbished Montana 600. It rode there on my 2011 BMW F650GS for the last four or five years I had it. I used the same setup on my Yamaha XT250 for two years when I had both the BMW and the Yamaha. Now it's riding in the same mount in the same place for the fifth season on my 2017 Kawasaki Versys-X 300. No problems.

...ken...
  3. stormdog

stormdog Long timer

Oddometer:
    I tried to dry mine out with no success.
    When you dry one out, how far do you disassemble it?
  4. seasider

seasider Just a rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    I ran mine on a T7 for a while with no issues. I had the lines show up on a 1200 GS but as I said cleared on their own. Mine has been used on my gs's, wr 250r, x challenge and a T7 since 2011. Silicone in the power button place for 2 months and still working. I may try the new Zumo next....
  5. atlas cached

atlas cached Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    rexbro and stormdog like this.
  6. MizzouRider

MizzouRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    With the humidity here in Missouri this August, my 600 is never going to dry out. I’ve had in on my X Challenge, 08 and 14 GSAs, Ural, 690, and the CTX 1300 before the T7. It’s been to Deadhorse and back. Had pretty good luck with it. That’s why I just bought the used one on eBay. Hopefully I’ll get a lot more years out of this one. Glad to hear it’s not vibration but moisture that’s causing the lines.
  7. SteveAZ

SteveAZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not so sure it couldn't be either or both

Most likely has to do with how the display is connected to the driver electronics
    rexbro and Ken in Regina like this.
  8. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I would be tempted to put in an oven set at maybe 120 degrees F overnight. Maybe put a bowl of rice in with too.

Could be a really dumb idea, I don't really know.
  9. SteveAZ

SteveAZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Again with the rice :fpalm

Rice isn't a great desiccant. I guess you have it on hand and it seems urgent.... if you are going to resort to rice use instant as it will be the most effective... for rice...

While you'd think it doesn't need to be said I'm not so sure when we keep hear people try to use rice - don't use the microwave stuff or already cooked rice...

Amazon (or other internet retailer) will provide you with far more effective and reusable silica gel that changes color when it absorbs water for not much more cost than rice...

The low oven is really good, but again would hope it doesn't need to be said, only if you warm it up on low for a good soak and then turn it off - don't let it try and heat while your equipment is in there! And fer pete's sake use a thermometer with the door closed and make sure the air temperature is no more than about 60-70°C for something with a display! Once the equipment is good and warm through and through set it in a room temperature bag of desiccant.... the desiccant whether silica gel or rice isn't anywhere near as effective when it's hot... cold is excellent but it must be dry first and then everything in an airtight container or it will suck the moisture out of the air and lose its effectiveness... Room temperature is easiest and silica gel is meant to work at that temperature well...
  10. KTMInduro

KTMInduro Off Road Montster Supporter

Oddometer:
    Does anyone have a copy of the profile samples that were in the infamous Montana Dropbox ? I have a refurbished unit from Garmin and I'm struggling to remember what profile settings I had on the old broken unit as I set them up years ago.

Any general suggestions for Offroad / Adv / On Road profiles ?
    MizzouRider likes this.