1. eNewsletter Sign Up

garmin montana

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by raafrebel, Feb 1, 2012.

1. raafrebel

raafrebel Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi
    Im not much of a tech geak, but i think im going to buy a Garmin Montana for my 990 adventure.
    The most important thing is that i can load topo maps so i can see were im going , anywere!!

I only have one question, Are they hard to use? i can work an iPhone to make calls and check the weather, but im no tech head.
    if these things are user freindly, then by all acounts on this forum, then the Montana looks like the best one to me.

Dan
  2. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS Supporter

Oddometer:
    The Montana has the clearest/brightest display on the market. It supports any Garmin compatible map, including Topo's. But, if you use a 24-50K Topo you will find that the contour lines are a bit distracting relative to the roads (well, at least they are for me). The Montana is a very easy unit to use. It uses Profiles to configure how you want the unit to present applications and the map page. PLEASE for your own enjoyment and safety, read the Owners Manual before you try and use the Montana. There's also a "Annotated version" I put together (until Garmin updates their's). You might also want to check out my short overview of the Montana - see link in my sig.

Cheers,
  3. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    As Dan says as he speaks out both sides of his mouth. Fits right in with this political season.
  4. DRTBYK

Oddometer:
    That's funny :rofl

I was talking with a fellow who had been using the Montana on a Dual Sport dirt ride. It was not his personal unit but was setup by someone for him - but he is a very knowledgeable GPS person. I asked him how he liked the Montana and his response really caught me off guard. He said he didn't like it at all because there were to many steps involved in doing anything he was use to doing on his other GPS's. I found this quite strange until I looked at his Montana. He was using the Garmin provided Recreation Profile. Not even the Motorcycle Profile. I asked him why he hadn't spent 20 minutes to customize the unit to be more in keeping with his needs. His response was, "Customize?"

So, that is why I say it's easy to use but you need to know what it can do and how to use it for YOUR needs.

Cheers,
  5. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    I get first timers with 60s all the time and the are so intiminated and pleed with me to show them how to use it.

After setting "Track Up" and a couple other things to make my job easier, I tell them to make the first turn on the roll chart and then just look down and make sure the big black arrow is still following the track. Then they always ask what they need to push then. I can't convince them not to tough it, it is a magic box.

Now that there is a whole generation of (kicking and screaming) 60 users, it think it will be a cold in hell before many ever convert to the new generation units with whole new operatong methods.
  6. DRTBYK

Oddometer:
    Once most of us Baby Boomers are to old to through a leg over the seat, the majority of riders will be so tech oriented that they would roll on the floor at someone struggling with a GPSMAP 60, 78 or Montana. Their GPS's will be voice controlled and have Head Up Displays in the Helmet. Of course they will be complaining that their Electro-Enduro causes a shift in the magnetic declination so their GPS isn't accurate and they miss the trails half of the time. :evil

Anyone that professes to be unable to grasp the operation of a (any) GPS, has made a conscious decision not to. They [GPS's] are not that complex to operate - especially if someone else has already provided the data. My experience is that those folks also can't read a map and don't know which direction North is.

Cheers,
    Robbyw1985 likes this.
  7. tbirdsp

tbirdsp REMF

Oddometer:
    Nail. head. :nod
    Robbyw1985 likes this.
  8. lewi

lewi dreamer

Oddometer:
    any reason i should go for the 650(t) if i don't want/need the camera?
  9. DRTBYK

Oddometer:
    Nope. The Montana 600 is a very fine unit and does everything the 650(t) will do minus the Camera.

Cheers,
  10. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have found that lots of very intelligent diligent people just don't get maps. I think their brain is just not wired to associate lines on a two dimensional plane with a 3 dimensional world with trees, rocks, hills, rivers etc.

But many people are comfortable asking for directions.

I am the opposite. I love and seem to get maps. But I get totally flustered if anybody gives me a direction any more complicated than "go one block and turn right".
  11. DRTBYK

Oddometer:
    I understand there are right-brain and left-brain people in the world but we're really taking about "comfort" levels. We all have them. I really don't expect everyone in this community to be Orienteer's. But, I do believe that everyone should have a basic understanding of maps, how they relate to the earth and your position on the earth. This knowledge provides a very solid background for understanding GPS devices and the [navigation] system as a whole. if one is going to take up the sport of off-road riding you have to learn many things. One of the things I believe get's overlooked is a necessity for navigational skills. In my view, there should also be a commitment to educate one's self with respect to the navigational tools that help to keep you and your companions safe when riding outside of populated areas.

It's not something that should be dreaded, it can be fun. :deal

Cheers,
  12. Narsisco Lopez

Narsisco Lopez Addlepated

Oddometer:

As in DRTBYK's comment above, there's definitely a "right brain/left brain" component to consider, but, in general, using it as an excuse for not being able to understand maps, in my very humble opinion, is a cop out. We live in a world of increasing laziness... maps, orientation, and spacial awareness is NOT a very complicated task to master. In fact, spacial awareness is probably one of the oldest perceptive skill sets humans have. This societal ADD that seems pervasive these days is used as an excuse to avoid sitting down, turning off the TV, and learning a new skill :D
  13. Britome

Britome Get Free

Oddometer:
    I'm just testing the water but if someone isn't happy with their 600, 650 or 650t let me know.
  14. Britome

Britome Get Free

Oddometer:
    Should I get the "trip and way point manager" add on from garmin?
  15. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
  16. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    +1, I agree it is right/left brain.

My exgirlfriend is an artist/painter and is very intelegent but in the digital world she just doesn't have a clue. She uses a computer all the time but when I look at it and ask her how she organizes her files with Explorer, it's like the polock asking what that noise is when the guy started his chain saw for him.

I am a very good engineer but I just don't understand how people can write or even read music or paint a picture. I don't like failing and I really tried to understand that stuff in school. I remember the only thing I ever did correct in art class was when we had to draw a building in perspective. I just did it first time and couldn't understand why the other kids had so much trouble.
  17. FatChance

FatChance Road Captain

Oddometer:
    "Go up the road a ways and when you get about a half mile before where the old church used to be before it burned down, take the fork by Helmer's barn and it will be on your right, or is it on your left? No, wait, maybe you should take the old Swenson's farm road over to Grover's corner and turn up hill. No, maybe not. You know, when I think about it, you can't get there from here."
  18. SHOELESS

SHOELESS Swine Pilot

Oddometer:
    Noob here,What are the basic differances of the 600,650 and 650t.........
  19. Britome

Britome Get Free

Oddometer:
    600 no camera
    650 camera
    650t camera plus topographical maps
  20. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    And they you respond "you don't know much about this area do you"

He responds, "I'm not the one lost am I"