Garmin Nuvi car gps as a budget >$250 adv setup

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by B1, Feb 14, 2013.

1. NorthernTraveler

NorthernTraveler Long time Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Most Nuvi's use a USB power plug which is 5 volts DC.

The 60cx or cxs uses the round four pin connector which is 8-36 volts DC.

To use a Nuvi on that bike with a 3br connector you're going to have to put a voltage adapter in line to reduce it to 5 volts.
  2. markgsnw

markgsnw WTF?

Oddometer:

Will work with a waterproof USB supplying 1 amp. I've just bought (but not yet installed) the BurnsMoto USB Weatherproof Charger Socket 2.1 Amp to Bare Wire which was under $30 shipped.
  3. roaming_art

roaming_art In transit...

Oddometer:
    Just ordered a 1450 from ebay for $42.50, ram mount and cradle for $38, and a USB charge cord for $3. I'm out $83.50 for the whole set-up! :rofl Pictures to follow after installation. Thanks for the tips guys, hope this set-up works out for me on the CDR this summer! :clap
  4. bouldergeek

bouldergeek Filthy, poor KLR dweeb

Oddometer:
    Until it got stolen in Peru (never turn your back, even for a sandwich), I was using a 1455 LMT in an open-air RAM smartphone cradle. I just had a Powerlet to 12V cigarette socket in my tank bag. Into that I put a $3, street-vendor 12V to USB mini car charger. The connection stays in my tank bag to stay dry. No problems, other than security for petty theft.

My backup unit is a 285W with torrented maps installed via BaseCamp. Working fine, though slower than the 1455. Your setup should work fine.

I could buy ten rigs like mine for one Zumo.
  5. chach_86

chach_86 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just came across this video for waterproofing a Nuvi that everyone might be interested in. Simple idea (silicone around the screen) and easy to do. Worth watching at least the last 30 seconds :rofl -Chad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2UvIoL78Cg
  6. TheDecepticon

TheDecepticon Wannabe

Oddometer:
    I hope this is the right thread for this, if not please move it.

I have created a track and a route in BaseCamp with my Nuvi 2497LMT. I can send it to the device or drag and drop the file into the SD card or internal storage and all seems well.

When I unplug the device from the computer to check if it is there, it tells me it cannot save my file and I cannot find it in trip planner. Also, how do you know where it is putting it and can you look at the SD card from the unit itself.

Am I not waiting long enough before unplugging (all the loading things in BaseCamp go green and go all the way then go out) or am I missing something. It seems funny that you can use it in BaseCamp but cannot save the file.

:huh
  7. Motor7

Motor7 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ok I am going to try one & picked up a 1490T on fleabay for $44. I also ordered the eastern half US topos on a micro SD for $18, RAM handlebar mount for $37, a Battery Tender USB adapter that plugs into my pigtail coming off the battery for $14. So I am in this for a little over $100.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/371034550873?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251496157771?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251249089472?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121287600475?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

As for water proofing, I think I will just throw a plastic bag over it when needed. I do like the large 5" screen...nice. I'll let y'all know when I get it mounted & running.
  8. Grinnin

Grinnin Forever N00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    I suspect that when you connect your nuvi 1490T to USB with that adaptor, the nuvi will start up in "connect" mode.

The power plug/wire for nuvi usually has 5 wires with the fifth wire shorted to one of the other 4 using a resistor. This is used by nuvis to signal that it is a Garmin power supply and not any old computer USB outlet.

I have not had a 1490, only a 1300.

Let us know.
  9. Motor7

Motor7 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Grin for the heads up. I also have a cig lighter pigtail adapter for the Battery Tender, so if I have to I can use it with a regular car charger. I am trying to avoid that while riding since there would be a lot of wiring flopping around unless I just go ahead and mount a cig lighter receptacle up on the dash somewhere.
  10. roaming_art

roaming_art In transit...

Oddometer:
    Hmm...the 1450 text document of my routes didn't quite look like this, but I'll have to see if the alerts and warnings bug me enough to dig back into the text file. Thanks for posting this!
  11. Motor7

Motor7 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Grin, I tried it today and you're right it, the 1490 does think it is a computer, but if you let it completely boot up(green line goes across the bottom of the screen) then wait another 30 seconds you can hit the "on" button again and it will start up for navigation use. I verified that it is charging so now I just need to take the seat & tank off to route the USB cord up to the dash.

The RAM mount should be here early next week along with the Topo's.
  12. Motor7

Motor7 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ok, I could not see or get the topo's to load onto the 1490T. They were not a Garmin branded product, so I am sending them back to the seller. I could not even find a program that could open them on my computer.

I will buy Garmin Topo's but has anyone here has success in viewing them on a Nuvi? This stuff is all new to me, so I feel like I am stumbling around in the dark on a windy night with a candle.

Edit: got it working via SD Micro card & can see the topo's on the 1490T. I will report back how it does on a ride...........
  13. surlywill

surlywill Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great thread. Been using my garmin 76cx for years and decided to upgrade. Reading this thread I decided on the garnin 2595lmt. seems to fit with what I want and picked one up on Amazon for $130. :clap
  14. Witold

Witold Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm thinking of picking up Nuvi 2597LMT. 5 inch screen.

Does anyone know how easy it is to read the screen in direct Sunlight on a nice and bright day?

Also, will I have problems loading Asia/Europe/S. America maps on it? Do I need to get rid of the NA maps to do that? Is it possible to keep Asia maps on the memory card, for example?
  15. Motor7

Motor7 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wit, looking at mine the first time outside in full sun....I'm gonna need a hood. The aftermarket ones are pretty short, so I think I will just fab one up that does a better job.
  16. Lifes2short

Lifes2short Been here awhile

Oddometer:

A little delayed in getting to this thread, but I just picked up a refurb 2595LMT from GPSCity for $120. Figured I couldn't find anything better for the price. Spent far of much time researching this crap but my phone won't take me where I'm going, not without data at least. Just wanted to say all the info here was very helpful.

Cheers.
  17. bross

bross Where we riding to? Supporter

Oddometer:
    You shouldn't have any trouble. I loaded maps for Costa Rica onto my 1450 and that worked great. All depends on space whether you'll have to get rid of your NA maps. Load an SD card if you need more space, I think GPSCity recommend only using up to an 8 gig card.
  18. blender

blender Just another rider

Oddometer:
    I have a 2595LMT, it gets washed out in bright sunlight. I tried a store-bought glare shield but it didn't help much. I'm making my own using a black plastic folder I picked up at an office supplies store.

Other than that I like the 2595 so far. It's not waterproof but I figure that's what plastic bags are for.
  19. surlywill

surlywill Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I added all the topo maps I use on my 2595 without having to add a memory card. It does get washed out a little with sunlight. The only problem Ive found is uploading a route off a gpx file. Having read all the posts I figured this would be a problem and it is. Found out for me its easier to use trip planner on the unit with topo map loaded and plot waypoints along the route, A bit slow but it works....
  20. jenkkimike

jenkkimike Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am seriously considering ordering a refurbished Garmin 2595 for $99 and free shipping. I love playing with routes on google maps and my only requirement for a GPS is that I can pre-plan my routes on google maps/ basecamp, load onto my GPS, then plug it in on the bike and have it direct me on the route I mapped.

I have read this thread and have seen mixed results for the 2595. Can anybody confirm that I can do the above with a 2595? I don't care about voice navigation, blue tooth, music, etc.

Also and equally importantly, is there a way to mount the 2595 with this?

https://www.twistedthrottle.com/sw-...ion-damped-gps-holder-suzuki-v-strom-dl650-12

My strom came with this gps mount and its all wired and set up for an $800 zumo that the previous owner did not include with the sale. I have a USB port wired up too.

I would love to mount a 2595 on this thing. I am NOT going to spend $800 for a GPS. I am in an evening graduate program and just wrote a check for $3600 to the university :puke1. The only reason I am considering the GPS is because its $99 and may do what I want it to.

Thanks for the help!