Garmin Nuvi car gps as a budget >$250 adv setup

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by B1, Feb 14, 2013.

1. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    I use a garmin in an aqua box with success. Sold the zumo that came with the bike.

never understand why garmin needs to put out 200 different models every year, and discontinue every model before it.

Garmin, if your listening..... please make only a number, like 8 or 20 gps's of all price ranges and go from there. Features and price range go up as necessary.

Im glad the smart phone is developing much faster, and i have an S3 now. I'm thinking after my next phone, the garmin gps is over.
  2. markgsnw

markgsnw WTF?

Oddometer:
    I have the 2595, I've found the traffic function not very useful compared to Waze, so I didn't bother setting the bike up with a cig lighter power socket, using the Burns Moto USB power outlet which works brilliantly.
  3. mmvalk

mmvalk Adventurer

Oddometer:
    anyone have any experience with the Garmin nüvi 2797LMT 7-Inch device? will it work with gloves?
  4. bross

bross Where we riding to? Supporter

Oddometer:
    No experience but comparing to what I know works vs what doesn't, I would say you should be OK. Here's a chart comparing my 2595 which works well on the bike with gloves, to your 2797 and my 3590 which doesn't work well on the bike. Gloves don't work with the 3590 and the screen flips every time you lean.

http://www.gpscity.ca/compare/nuvi2595lmt&nuvi2797lmt&nonuvi3590lmt

The only thing that might give me pause is it doesn't say "manual dual-orientation" like my 2595 has. That is a setting you choose and set it once and leave it. The 3590 has "multi-touch, glass, dual-orientation" which uses a tri-axial compass which is what you want to stay away from if using on the bike.

"Tri-axial compass

It’s also worth noting that the nuvi 3550LM features a tri-axial compass, which allows the screen to rotate automatically. But it also makes this a good device for pedestrian navigation."
  5. mmvalk

mmvalk Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Appreciate your prompt reply. i noticed that the 2797 does not support mp3 and am wondering while listening to Pandora via my cell for example, will the 2797 produced voice prompts be simultaneously heard (overlay the music) as well? Listening to music is important to me whilst on long journeys. Thanks much
  6. nhbubba

nhbubba Internet Tough Guy

Oddometer:
    I just want to say thanks for this thread! I found it helpful! :freaky

I have an old 250W that is a hand-me-down from my mother. She once paid for the lifetime map upgrades on it, so I get free maps for it every now and then. Works fine, but lacks the modern goodies on these devices these days. And the killer feature it lacks is the ability to upload routes!

Couple years ago I bought a 2450LM. It was great until I smashed the screen one night while planning a ride for the next day. Doh!

I have always intended to buy a Zumo or maybe a Montana or Oregon hand-held. Something waterproof, but more appropriate for motorcycle use. But I just haven't been able to get over the costs. Too many other things I'd rather do with that dough.

Today I finished another round of research and pulled the trigger on a $105 refirb'ed 2555LMT. Price works for me. I already have a bike wired with a Garmin mini-usb power lug. This plus a RAM cradle and I should be good to go. Water and dust protection will be addressed with my handy $0.05 zippy bag and rubber band weather proofing kit. Has worked for years for me with the lowly 250W. Oh, how I have tried to kill that little GPS!

At any rate. Thanks for this thread all. Party on.. :beer
  7. SCutchins

SCutchins Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Like most of you, the idea of spending $800 for a GPS just sickens me. I am determined to get a car GPS and make it work, but I want waterproof and must have the ability to upload custom routes that the GPS will then follow.

CostCo has the Garmin Nuvi 2598LMTHD 5" GPS for $170 that has voice activated navigation, if this works through my Cardo that would be awesome. I think this and an Aqua Box would be perfect.

From what I read here, it seems that I can create custom maps (through Google Maps?) and upload. Is that true?

Will an Aqua Box work given that I have to drill holes through the back for wires?

It sounds like USB doesn't cut it for power and you need to run 12v. Is that true? I have a 12v plug under the seat, and another set of 12v wires by the front, I suppose I could add a 12v plug up by the dash but I hate exposed wires.
  8. turbodieseli4i6

turbodieseli4i6 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  9. nhbubba

Oddometer:
    A plastic sandwich bag over the GPS works fine for me. I rode through a torrential downpour just a week ago with a bag on my brand new Nuvi and all is still well. Touch screen works with gloves through the plastic baggie. It is mostly legible.

I would not waste money on the water tight box AND give up the touch-screen interface. Not worth it imo. But ymmv.

Working with google maps is basically a non-starter. It is very difficult to take a google maps route and port it to garmin. Far better off to start in basecamp or the HD ride planner or something similar.
  10. bross

Oddometer:
    I use google maps for planning purposes and checking a new area out, but as nhbubba suggested Basecamp is the best way to create and upload your routes to your gps. Basecamp isn't as bad as every one makes out and is actually quite easy to use once you play with it a bit. You can also drag routes around just like you do in google maps.

I looked at waterproofing my 2595 like was posted but just never bothered. Honestly in the past 3-4 years I can count the times I've ridden in the rain on one hand, with a finger missing. :deal I carry a half dozen sandwich ziplock baggies and a couple broccoli elastics in my tank bag but hardly ever use them. I can vouch for their effectiveness though, we rode all day in and out of heavy thunderstorms in Costa Rica and the gps stayed perfectly dry.

The 2598 sounds like it should work well on a bike as it has the manual dual orientation display.
  11. nhbubba

Oddometer:
    I just upgraded to a reman'ed 2555 that does the portrait mode. I hacked up my mount to run this way and have been trying it out. I think it is pretty neat this way. Feels like it shows more of the map and I get a bit more of a heads up on turns. Plus, I can clutter up the screen with more of the little widgets. I dig it.
  12. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    xperia z1s: 5", waterproof, quad core 800, 3Gb ram, wifi, 1080p video, gps, bluetooth, and ALL the app options for navigation on the android store. sells for about $180-250, depending on your bidding luck. put it in a $40 ram mount, plug it in if you can kill the 3000mah battery. one downside though, it works as a phone too :cry , but at least you can put it in Airplane mode to keep people from getting in touch while you're riding. :clap

ok, enough with the phone spamming...

:D
  13. markgsnw

markgsnw WTF?

Oddometer:

USB power works fine for me.

I wouldn't count on it talking to your intercom
  14. DCrider

DCrider Live from THE Hill

Oddometer:
  15. Motor7

Motor7 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I did notice that on rough roads...pavement or gravel, both my Nuvi 1490's would shut off, re-start, shut off, re-start.....etc. I suspect it's the usb plug at the unit so I need to change cords and see if that helps. Having the RAM mount on a dash does not help, for vibration the middle of the handlebars is a better choice.
  16. Yakima

Yakima NC 700

Oddometer:
  17. DCrider

DCrider Live from THE Hill

Oddometer:
    I can tell you that the Garmin Nuvi 2598 LMT works with gloves, bought it from Costco for like $140 for the wife to use in the car so now I may have to borrow it for the bike :lol3
  18. bross

Oddometer:
    Yep, that's one of the best reasons for using the 25xx series on a bike, plus they don't auto rotate like the 3xxx series do. :thumb
  19. bross

Oddometer:
    The only other thing I did that he did not in the video was to silicone the speaker, you can still hear it although I have mine muted all the time anyway. Haven't ridden in any torrential rain but a few sprinkles, I think the weak spot will still be the power connector so may still slip a sandwich baggie over mine if it rains heavy.
  20. sans4ver

sans4ver Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hello GPS gurus,
    I am planning to go car gps route. I am thinking of garmin 2598LMTHD.
    Does anyone know if 2598LMTHD will accepts custom routes from basecamp?
    When imported into the GPS are these turn by turn navigation or just a track?