Garmin Nuvi car gps as a budget >$250 adv setup

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by B1, Feb 14, 2013.

1. advmgm

advmgm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Been using a Nuvi 770 and Microsoft streets and trips to make routes for the last five years. I have created routes with almost 100 "stops" to make it follow the route. I can have ten active routes in memory with many ready more on the extra storage chip. A ziploc bag over it works when it rains.
  2. advNZer?

advNZer? Long timer

Oddometer:
    a 2797 accepts ROUTES from basecamp.They are routes not tracks.They are found in the "trip planner" app on the gpsr
  3. sans4ver

sans4ver Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank you folks, good to know it can store multiple files and the fact it works as a route and not track.
    Is any one using 2598LMTHD:evil
  4. huchieglide

huchieglide Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Looking for a Ram cradle for the nuvi 2598. Ram does not list this unit on their site. The 2597 has the same dimensions. The cradle model is the GA57U. Has anyone had success with this cradle for the 2598.
    Thanks
  5. bross

bross Where we riding to? Supporter

Oddometer:
    Check the specs closely on Garmins or GPSCity sites and if they are exactly the same dimensions, width being the one to check, then the only other thing I'd verify is they both have the power/usb connector in the same place. My RAM mount for my 2595 is for the 25xx series so that should work fine for your 2598. I think the only difference between your 2598 and my 2595 is software.
  6. huchieglide

huchieglide Adventurer

Oddometer:
    A friend has the 2555 and my 2598 will not fit in the cradle. Ram specs two different model numbers for the 2555 and 2597 but they do not list the 2598.
  7. Ogre_fl

Ogre_fl Long timer

Oddometer:
  8. huchieglide

huchieglide Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the follow-up. Appreciated.
  9. simbaboy

simbaboy Lansing MBS Supporter

Oddometer:
    Mine is a Garmin 2595LMT.
    It accepts routes from BaseCamp and gives voice navigation. However, I usually listen to my music via earbuds and don't hear the voice navigation. I have to look at the GPS once in a while. Lots of deer in my area so I have to be very carefull.
    Simba

[​IMG]
  10. G-Funk

G-Funk That ... Umm ..... "Dude"

Oddometer:
    First - Thank you B1 for starting this thread two years back ....... and my have times changed.

First - I'll say that I have an old school Garmin 2610 street pilot that's water proof, Maps up to 2009 - That's it, but FS Roads out here in the PNW don't change that much, and between Google Earth and City Navigator, I was totally about to do tracks and routes off road. In fact I was able to do up a trip across Oregon primarily off road, that the unit worked just fine, this was back in 2010. At the time one of my buds, had a Nuvi 550 I believe, and that worked just fine for him getting from Colorado to Oregon, primarily off road. So - I could just stick with my 2610, which I have hard wired cables to go from the battery, but obviously the unit isn't portable.
    :
    But here's the thing. I'm really tempted about the Nuvi 2797. That large screen seems to be calling to me. Plus with my eye sight - it would be oh so much easier to read.
    :
    I also watched a youtube vid, about how to very carefully apply silicon to make the unit water proof. And the price - well, it's very affordable compared to a Zumo.
    Hell - even the 2597 has a bigger screen than my 2610. I can't justify spending the coin for a Zumo. I might be able to find a used one, or refurb, on E-Bay - but again, the price of the 2797 is really affordable.
    :
    I've read through this thread, and the side ( related ) threads - and I agree Garmin's interface doesn't make it very easy at times, and yes I could call Garmin, but I'm going to through it out here first .....
    :
    From what I've checked out so far.
    1. It appears that the Northwest Topo Map is not compatible with the 2797, or the 2597, from Garmin's site. Is that true?
    2. To do up actual off road routes, not tracks, I would need the basecamp software - and prolly still use Google Earth. True or False. I know that routes are basically a series of way points, but give you bearing and distance, etc. Tracks are cool and useful, but routes ( to me ) are important.
    3. Even though the battery life isn't long on the 2797, it is portable, and I see Garmin has a "fleet" hard wire cable w / in line fuse, so it seems I could hard wire it, or get a powerlet socket.
    4. As far as the weather resistance - I would have to check, but the aqua box may have one that fits the 2797.
    5. The free life time maps seems like a good deal.
    6. As all of you know both the 2597 and 2797 have the micro sd card slot.
    So - in the end ......
    Could I do what I can do with my old 2610, with the 2797? Or should I just stick with my clunky, small screen 2610? I really like creating off road routes, which again are just way point, and now that I think about it - with the 2009 City Navigator Map, I was totally able to drill down to F.S. Roads - so wouldn't the newest City Navigator still have that?

Anyhow - if any of you could chime in, I'd greatly appreciate it. Like I said, I could just stick with my 2610, but the screen size on the 2797 is really appealing to me.

Cheers .....

G.
  11. G-Funk

G-Funk That ... Umm ..... "Dude"

Oddometer:
    As so the 2595, via basecamp, accepts routes - I didn't see that part. Very good to know.

Cheers ......

G.
  12. Ogre_fl

Ogre_fl Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had the 2610, then moved to the Nuvi 550 when the maps became too outdated on the 2610 for touring use.
    Now I occasionally use a Nuvi 2597 (same features as the 2797, 5" screen) for fair weather road use.

Can it do everything the 2610 can?
    Kind of.

The main limitations I see are waypoint numbers per route given you like to do off-road routes.
    I think the 2610 was 500 max waypoints per route, correct me if I am wrong.
    My Nuvi 550 is around 250 max.
    I think the 2597 is only 25 or 30 and I assume the 2797 is the same.

Going from the 2610 to the Nuvi 550 was not a big deal, there were times I had to make an extra route(s) but 250 points was workable for me.
    I have to admit I have not bothered to try large/multi point off-road routes on the 2597 as I still have the waterproof/dust proof Nuvi 550.

You can work around the limit a bit using "shaping points" vs "way points" but its is something you should research a bit more.
    Having bumped up against the limitation on street routes this worked, but I have not tried running an off-road route with shaping points vs way points yet.

BTW yes these units do accept routes from basecamp.
    I have found that more FS roads are on the latest versions of City Nav as compared to what was on the last version compatible with the 2610.
    They are also more accurate, some were way off back then, but you & I are at opposite ends of the country so your data may be different.
  13. scharfg

scharfg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anyone having trouble with their Nuvi being recognized by the computer?

My 2557 (bought last June, used on 1 - 7 day ride) was working fine and then it started to have intermittent trouble with the computer/Base Camp recognizing it as a drive.

When I plug it into the lap top USB port the mass storage graphic comes up on the Nuvi screen (desk top computer with a GPS plugged into the front of it), but my computer nor Base Camp recognizes it so I can't put routes on it (which is why I purchased it). I tried the other two USB ports, another power cord and I also plugged it into a desk top computer and still it was not recognized as a stand alone drive so I'm unable to load routes from the computer or from Base Camp.

I sent a question to GPS City where I purchased the unit and they said it might be the micro USB port on the back of the Nuvi, the vibrations from the motorcycle might have damaged it......?

I've read around and I have not seen this being a major problem with the Nuvi's on a motorcycle.

Any helpful suggestions other that what Tom at GPS City told me to do (buy a Zumo at 4x the price)?

Thanks in advance.
  14. ICERIDER

ICERIDER Adventure Rider

Oddometer:
    Very likely it is the USB connection. I ran a 2597 last year for a few thousand road miles in a pouch and the USB crapped out. Sad thing is I let it get out of warranty. Your's may still be in warranty so if it was me I'd send it back as failed.

I tried to fix the socket but no joy. Just bought another at £80 which is not bad. I would have gone completely Android if it wasn't for the crippling on line data charges here swaying me to stay with Basecamp for off line planning with the 2597 installed Europe maps.

I'm looking at fitting a short pigtail and zip tie it to the back of the new unit. Immobilise the right angled mini USB against the back too. I just need to be sure it will work in Data/power. The plan is to run a nice Android such as Moto G alongside this season and probably switch.
  15. Grinnin

Grinnin Forever N00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    @scharfg -- There are lots of posts in this thread and elsewhere on ADV about the care it takes to keep a USB mini B plug and receptacle working. The USB mini B is less robust than the USB micro B.

My own nuvi took a month-long "rest" because of USB mini B trouble.

@ICERIDER -- I used a 5-wire right-angle pigtail and it helped secure the cord along the GPS and worked for power. Any 4-wire USB USB mini B cord will work for data and a 5-wire extension should make no difference.

[​IMG]
    ICERIDER likes this.
  16. scharfg

scharfg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Interesting, so folks have experienced a situation where the mass storage graphic will come on the Nuvi when plugged into the computer USB but the computer won't recognize the Nuvi as a separate drive so one can't transfer info from Base Camp or other .gpx files mad other ways? Funny cuz it was working last weekend but was intermittent so may be its finally given up? Strange it still powers on and shows the Mass storage graphic on the screen though.

I bought it last June so I'll try for a return to Garmin Canada.

Where can one get a right angle plug like that?
  17. bross

bross Where we riding to? Supporter

Oddometer:
    I ordered one through gpscity.ca last week...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Item P/N Ord Ship Price Subtotal
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    USB Power Cable 010-11131-10 1 1 $29.95000 $29.95
  18. Grinnin

Grinnin Forever N00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    The angled plug from Garmin aims the cable down away from the GPS which caused mine to lose power in a car or on a motorcycle.

The short extension I used was an "angled right" extension cable. It aims the cable along the back of the GPS so I could clip the cable securely onto the GPS cradle.
    http://www.usbfirewire.com/parts/rr-2mbr01-ext-xxgl5.html#RR-2MBR01-EXT-06GL5

I cleaned the contacts in the USB mini B receptacle and plug, put dielectric grease on them, then left the extension cable plugged in all the time. When I took the GPS off the bike I took the whole RAM arm. I was still disconnecting it at a USB mini B receptacle, but it can be replaced easily instead of soldered to the GPS circuit board.

Much of this post is in past tense because my nuvi wouldn't charge after a day on the Denali Highway. I bought a Montana the next day in Anchorage and am grateful for the sturdy power connection on that GPS.
  19. scharfg

scharfg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ah thanks for the info and link Grinnin....

Ya I like that look of that Montana.
  20. scharfg

scharfg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good news spoke to Garmin Canada today and they will exchange my Nuvi for one that will hopefully work!
    ICERIDER likes this.