Garmin Nuvi car gps as a budget >$250 adv setup

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by B1, Feb 14, 2013.

1. oldsole

oldsole Delurking

Oddometer:
    Short version: Spent less than $50 for a used Nuvi 50; Giant screen and plenty of memory. Mounted it in a $13 bike zipper like simbaboy with orange home sewn straps and velcro to perch it on the bars. Wired in a $5 2.1A USB charge adapter. Downloaded owlshead maps for out west in SoCal. Magic! Better yet, less than $100.

I got some time tonight to give back behind the keyboard. If you do too, here's the rest of the story

Disclaimer: I spin most o me time in the dirt, takin naps when needed. And sum other less planned times to. Within 6 months of lerning how to ride (late start in life yet stihl better then sum) ended up on 31E34 (Piute trail) way over my head with a mate who was just at his neck level on tippie toes. Learned me good; Big crash halfway through twisted my knee and whilst waiting for the pane to subside, found a map beside me in the dirt. Horny toads, matilda, that's what I've been missing tryin to git to the lake for lunch 6 hours ago! But that's another story for another time.

The thought of missin Deerwife's cookin and anklebiter antics due to wrong turns or havin to walk out in buttes and leave the orange crush behind got a hold of my senses that night in an unscheduled motel visit. Deerwife is pretty good at yellin but not so good at navigatin so aint no use bringin her along... I gotta git me one of them there lady things that yells atcha when ya miss the turn... Long as she's just yellin, Deerwife shoulnd't git jealous, right?

So I traded green paper thingies for sum gadgetry. Then bought a set of topo maps. That was less than useful, fer durned tooting waste o money. Only derlictions I got was up a canyon and me riding buddy still whinges... Looked like a staircase I said, should be an elevator here he said.

Then downloaded Owlshead maps. Dunno why they only took the head fer the maps, yud tink havin wings would help ya see more. (Heck, redbul gives ya wings, mebbe the owl cud get some of that ta git his wings back?) Anyways those owlshead (member just the hed) work great for the tracks out west young man. With one catch- ya gotta read the destructions and make it the top map. Else you aint gonna see nothin and yer yappin riding buddy gits all wound up how you caint do nothin useful. And hes right dammit, that there topo is stihl useless.

Aint been lost since yet. (Wasn't before neither, don't lissen to her in the background....)
  2. scootertrog

scootertrog Jedi Fart Master

Oddometer:
    Shameless plug ........ I've got a nice RAM Aquabox for sale in the "OTHER" Classifieds section. It worked real well for the Nuvi 1490T I used to have.
  3. JS_racer

JS_racer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    say guys, is there an updated list for what models do well here??
    looking for routes, thats a must, and some way to import them, heard something about only 10 can be used ??
    are some screens better than others ??

tried a rider 400 for $500, packed it back up in my return window, shame it didn't work out.
    thanks much for the time!!
  4. bross

bross Where we riding to? Supporter

Oddometer:
    My 2595 has worked well for the past couple years. The 25xx series would be fine, support trip planner, plan your routes in Basecamp and send to gps, easy. The key is to make sure the screen is "manual dual orientation". From the specs page:

"manual dual-orientation, WQVGA color TFT with white backlight"

any of these would work...
    http://www.gpscity.com/compare/nuvi2497lmt&nuvi2557lmt&nuvi2597lmt&nuvi2797lmt

then you just need the mount...
    http://www.gpscity.com/ram-mount-ga...cycle-mount-zinc-u-bolt-ram-b-149z-ga57u.html

or just the cradle if you already have a RAM mount on your bike.
    http://www.gpscity.com/ram-mount-garmin-nuvi-2557-2577-2597-series-cradle-ram-hol-ga57u.html

I like to use a dedicated power cable instead of the cigarette lighter.
    http://www.gpscity.com/garmin-usb-power-cable.html
    JS_racer likes this.
  5. auto

auto Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just found this thread.Like you guys a zumo is out of the question for 3 long weekend trips a year.I bought a 880 for $35 off ebay.Does everything I need,routes,music,but I like to lose the wires.Are these transmitters/adapters what I'm looking for in wireless audio.My 880 has bluetooth and a output jack.Would really like to pair it up with a communication system,but some calls to sena makes that look undo able for a 880 and a sena .Any feed back will be greatly appreciated.
  6. Yakima

Yakima NC 700

Oddometer:
    To do it you would need something to take the audio from the garmin and translate it into bluetooth, e.g. Sena's SR10. Pricey. It's what I've done.
    I'm now thinking of using my samsung 7" tablet which has BT or buying a Nuvi with BT.
  7. markgsnw

markgsnw WTF?

Oddometer:
    here's my 2 cents worth: I bought a Nuvi 2595LM a couple of years ago. I've had two of them die on me, the second one died sitting in a drawer. True, it was only $115, but that's money that's basically flushed down the crapper. Not nearly robust enough for my needs (long distance paved touring).
  8. Grinnin

Grinnin Forever N00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    A Garmin can appear dead after sitting in a drawer long enough. They use enough battery when turned "off", similar to a couple of cameras I own. It takes a good long while to charge a Garmin up to the place where the screen will show anything at all. This has happened to me with both nuvi and Montana.

I really like the Montana for a motorcycling GPS. I would encourage anyone to get a Montana. The nuvi worked for me on my motorcycles for years and many tens of thousands of miles. It will work fine if someone's willing to take care of the unit and the power connector. It's no Montana but it doesn't cost like a Montana either.
  9. markgsnw

markgsnw WTF?

Oddometer:

more than 24 hours?
  10. Grinnin

Oddometer:
    I don't know.

When my nuvi "died" I tried to charge it up 3 or 4 times over a period of a couple weeks. Then one try it suddenly worked and has worked perfectly since then with the same cable. I didn't time each charge attempt but certainly a few to several hours each. Typically I'll plug something into a 12V wall socket and leave it while I go about my business.
  11. bross

bross Where we riding to? Supporter

Oddometer:
    It seems like it's usually the usb connector / connection that dies on the Nuvi's so it could simply be that it's plugged in but not making a good connection so it's not charging. After a couple hours I'd try spraying some contact cleaner, dielectric grease etc. and wiggling the connector to see if it made any difference.
  12. markgsnw

markgsnw WTF?

Oddometer:
    after 48 hours of being plugged in, it's making farting sounds. It's actually laying butt up on my desk farting in my general direction. Top marks for having character.
  13. roaming_art

roaming_art In transit...

Oddometer:
    My 1450 has also recently started only working on battery power. Updating the firmware, and to the new 2017 West maps, hopefully this solves the issue. Otherwise I've had a trouble free ownership with the thing. Took it down to Copper Canyon, ran the CDT with it. Might pick up another one on fleabay just to have a spare. Anyone prefer the 1490 over the 1450?
  14. simbaboy

simbaboy Lansing MBS Supporter

Oddometer:
    My 2595 just bit the dust after 3 years of heavy use--the microUSB connector for charging/data transfer is not meant for dual sport/high vibration use. Garmin wanted $99 to fix/replace with another unit and other repair sites on the net want almost the same.

I just bought a 2598 on Ebay for $99 but will also add a 4 yr parts/labor warranty for $40. The unit already comes with a 1 yr warranty from Garmin.

Simba
    delta224 likes this.
  15. Dirtwannabe

Dirtwannabe Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Hi Simba, How are ya?
    I just bought a 2598LMTHD CHEAP! My 1st GPS so I'm VERY GPS 'tarded. I couldn't resist the price with the SMARTLINK-to-phone feature. Live traffic and weather. I hope I can figure this out.
  16. simbaboy

Oddometer:
    The GPSs are easy. Its trying to figure our creating routes in Garmin Basecamp that has a learning curve.

You can also 'create a route' on Mapquest and send it as a text to your cell phone. It opens on the Mapquest App on your cell phone and you get turn by turn voice direction via headphones.

I really liked my Garimin Nuvi 2595 until the charging USB connector started going f'd up and then completely broke off internally. I tried fixing it but killed the unit. At that point it was cheaper to buy a new unit.

I hope to protect the USB connector better this time.

Simba

you can get the 'waterproof' case from Amazon/Ebay for about 15 bucks.
    [​IMG]
  17. Dirtwannabe

Dirtwannabe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ^^^ Thanks for the tips. :thumb
  18. simbaboy

Oddometer:
    I received my Nuvi 2598 yesterday and last night I updated the software and maps.
    The process was a little quirky but I got it done. Garmin Express is needed for update.
    I am upset that the dashboard on this unit is not customizable. The 2595 had several dashboard options. If I had known this, I would have ordered a different Nuvi.
    It was easy to pair this one up with Basecamp and I uploaded the route below to the GPS. I will give it a try later. Most of the roads on this route are dirt/gravel farm roads that do appear on the 'City Navigator North America NT 2017.1' map on the GPS and on the computer. Garmin Express gives you the option to download the map on the computer (Macbook in this case) as well. So you can create the routes without having the GPS connected to the computer.
    My main concern right now is to protect the micro USB on the GPS--I have ordered a right angle USB cable.
    Simba

[​IMG]
    9Realms likes this.
  19. B1

B1 Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer:
    i gave up trying to figure out basecamp, a terribly designed piece of software. mapsource wasn't very good either, but much easier to work out so i don't know why they scrapped it. you can still find old versions though to download.

one note about those cases, i found they were only good for keeping dust out. the moment it rains, water gathers around the lower stitching, seeps in the case then the humidity created inside will mess with the gps quickly.... had to dry mine out in a box of rice to get it working again. a clear plastic bag and a twist-tie will be way more effective.
  20. Grinnin

Oddometer:
    The nuvis, including the 2598 have used USB mini B. I hope you just typed "micro" by mistake but ordered the USB mini B right-angle cord.

It would be nice if Garmin switched to the more robust but smaller micro, but I won't hold my breath.
    simbaboy likes this.