Garmin Overlander GPS

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by VTbeemer, May 17, 2019.

1. VTbeemer

VTbeemer Traveler Supporter

Oddometer:
  2. TripleTriples

TripleTriples Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  3. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:
    Looks like one of my phones, just 6 times as expensive.
  4. advNZer?

advNZer? Long timer

Oddometer:
    and a 7 inch screen
  5. Tripped1

Oddometer:
    20170730_043058.jpg
  6. advNZer?

advNZer? Long timer

Oddometer:
  7. Tripped1

Oddometer:
    Experia Z Ultra phablet

Its bordering on to big, I was actually thinking of swapping to Z3s because they are smaller and dirt cheap.....along with having external power and a favorable IP rating.
  8. advNZer?

advNZer? Long timer

Oddometer:
    mine was a small xperia rugged phone
  9. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto aka: trailer Rails Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not waterproof.
  10. bunker

bunker welltheresyerproblem

Oddometer:
    No charging mount.
  11. r'elise me

r'elise me Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    It's not for motorcycles due to lack of waterproofing and rugged mount. With Monterra discontd, the Montana is still the best they offer I beleive - which is truly sad for a device as primitive as that. Does anyone know if Garmin makes android software that can interface with Basecamp directly?
  12. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:

Not sure I understand the question.... Why would any Android need to interface with Basecamp ? It's just waypoints and tracks, send them over Bluetooth or wifi like all the modern devices can.
  13. grndzr0

grndzr0 its Ground Zero

Oddometer:
    I have had the opportunity to play with this for about a month. It is a great unit with basically 2 different main mapping apps. One for routing and street navigation, one for trails or hiking with built in topo, and the ability to download and overlay satellite imagery. Also has the ability to hook into the in-reach devices and us the device to chat from. The touch screen is nice.

The altitude data and displays are really nice, showing an upcoming altitude profile of the route or track you have loaded.

Also, it has all of the iOverlander points and reviews preloaded into the maps, without requiring a data connection, and the ability to click on a point and route to it.

I was also able to sideload the Garmin virb camera app, and it worked fine.

My main concerns, is its not "Waterproof", but water resistant, and im not sure the mount would hold up to dual sport use. However, i though about sending one to slip grip, and have them build a kydex mount for it that incorporated the Garmin charge mount.

It would just need to get tucked away in nasty rain, or tucked in a clear dry pouch.

Batter is awesome, I left the screen off and tracking on for a couple of days. And with the screen on was getting around 3 hours.

Also, not sure... but hardware looks to be the same as some of the fleet tracking products that have been around awhile, so im not too worried about it being brand new buggy hardware.

Garmin was really awesome to work with, and a few bugs that I found in the beta model were fixed within a couple of days.

Anyway, sweet device, they are marketing it more for trucks than bikes, but I wont mind throwing it in the tank bag if things get wet.

Ryan
  14. rescuejg

rescuejg Adventurer

Oddometer:
    How is this different than a tablet with ioverlander installed?

And then the campsites app installed?

3 hrs of screen time is great battery life?

Seems like 90 percent could be duplicated in an Android tablet.
  15. grndzr0

grndzr0 its Ground Zero

Oddometer:

The iOverlander points are loaded in natively to the mapping apps. And the maps are all preloaded on the device. The iOverlander app requires data to load the maps. Also, its a little clunky to go back and for between the iOverlander app and whatever mapping app you are running.

I made a large run around eastern Montana, much of which has no cell coverage, then to San Diego, then Tijuana. Used map routing from San Diego, into TJ, Ensenada, and back a couple days later. All without connecting to the internet. Not a bid deal for lots of people, but it is for me, as I go lots of places with no cell coverage.

There are lots of apps you can pre load maps, but they are usually clunky, and its difficult to preload for very large areas, and then getting routing to work offline on lots of them is a challenge as well.

Can you manage to do most of the things that the Overlander does on a tablet? Yep

Is it as smooth and seamless? Nope

Its a great device, that is more rugged than most tablets, and is very easy to just grab and use without having to pre-plan all of your map downloads, routes, etc.

Also, not many tablets I have used will last 3 hours with the screen on running a navigation app. Light web browsing yes, but running GPS and mapping seems to kill battery life.

Anyway, is it a prefect device, no. But its a great step in the right direction for Garmin.

Ryan
  16. rescuejg

rescuejg Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Good info. Thanks for clarifying. I've never used the i overlander app, so didn't realize that the version on the Garmin is special.
  17. webmonstro

webmonstro A Aventura Continua....

Oddometer:
    Never heard of ioverland before . But seams to me that it's essentially just a list of POIs ? You could just download the gpx and open it in locus or OsmAnd or another app. Same with maps. 700$ is alot for a tablet that is not even waterproof.
    Meaning if they make a Motocycle version it will be even more.
  18. grndzr0

grndzr0 its Ground Zero

Oddometer:
    iOverlander is an App that has crowd sourced info on camping and services. Where there is gas, how much it is, what the hostel rooms were like etc. Reviews and info. You can leave a review through the app after you stay there.

Its handy, we used it all through South America, and found all of our campsites on there.

I'm guessing Garmin must had worked out some kind of deal with them to allow them to load the data from that app onto the Overlander device. I don't think you can just export iOverlander data on your own.

Are there ways to get the info and load it into another app or device on your own? perhaps... Would some people be willing to spend some extra money to get something that is setup and just works? Im sure of it.

Ryan
  19. webmonstro

webmonstro A Aventura Continua....

Oddometer:
    Well looking at the web site it seams to have a export page, you can select by country

http://app.ioverlander.com/countries/places_by_country

you can export by GPX as well as other formats

Tested the gpx in osmand and apparenty works fine

Screenshot_2019-05-22-23-55-56.png

it also has a JSON interface as it appears, ibet garmin just uses this to interface with the data on the web site
    ohgood likes this.
  20. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:

cool, I'll grab some poi and import them to compare to osm into.... how much you wanna bet it's identical?