Garmin Overlander GPS

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by VTbeemer, May 17, 2019.

1. AdvNener

AdvNener Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Don't know for US but the POIs for France are a joke (i just had a quick look in the map on the ioverlander website.. not the gpx download). 500 places overall. About 20 places vaguely in the area of my last 4 days trip (and half of that concentrated in a small area at the end of it).
    OSM has much more.
  2. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    holy crap, you're right ! in all of Talladega national forest there are only TWO poi's on the ioverlander website.

the osm map i'm using in locus shows hundreds. lodging, bathrooms, vista points, trailheads, etc - maybe the ioverlander is for people that are 'overlanding' as in, a rv pulling a jeep, never intending to exit the campground ?

Screen Shot 2019-05-23 at 9.20.29 AM.png
  3. RobR

RobR Adventurer

Oddometer:
    iOverlander is non-profit and crowd sourced, so if your favorite trails, camping spot or greasy spoon isn't in there, add it!

Hopefully they have a easy way to update the database via wifi or maybe side load via bluetooth from a cell phone.
  4. grndzr0

grndzr0 its Ground Zero

Oddometer:
    We used it exclusively in South America, and it was great. I’m sure there are better spots if you talk to the locals. We were on a tight schedule and didn’t have a ton of time.

iOverlander is getting better in the US, but it’s not as good as it was in South America.

That being said, it is getting better as there are a lot more people using it up here now.

Ryan
    ohgood likes this.
  5. 2 SPOT

2 SPOT bring the rape whistle

Oddometer:
    i was interested in the TRX7 a few years ago, but many folks said it was lacking and not worth buying,,,, garmin is either counting on short term memory,, or just banking on the garmin name for sales. i dunno.
    ohgood likes this.
  6. traviscm1

traviscm1 n00b

Oddometer:
    Does the Overlander let you pick UTM vs Lat/Long? How about datum?
    ohgood likes this.
  7. grndzr0

grndzr0 its Ground Zero

Oddometer:
    It does have a ton of settings, and I can imagine it doesn’t have that, as every other garmin I have had can.

I don’t have mine with me as its in Mexico with XOverland at the moment.

Let ya know when I get it back.

Ryan
  8. zym

zym Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi,
    As far as i understand that it has preloaded topographic maps but i couldn't figure out if it has the same for the city map.

Does the Garmin Overlander come with life time city map?
  9. MaineMan1947

MaineMan1947 n00b

Oddometer:
    Talked to Garmin. The Outlander does not support Garmin Custom Maps. These are supported by Garmin's eTrex, Dakota, Colorado, Oregon, Montana, Monterra, Rino, and 276Cx. I use Custom Maps a lot to take printed trail amps, scan them, calibrate them (LAT/LON), and load them into my Montana. Excellent for hunting and for deep off-road riding where the latest roads and trails are on printed maps.

I also noticed that the Outlander does not have a connection for an external antenna. For years, since my 276C, I use an external antenna for heavily wooded terrain and in ravines with poor sky visibility.
  10. traviscm1

traviscm1 n00b

Oddometer:
    More and more this unit sounds like a ruggedized Nuvi, not a touch screen 276. I will end up staying with my iPad Mini 5 running Gaia and Co-Pilot. So far, I have been able to do everything I need with that setup.
  11. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:

what about kmz overlayes ?
  12. MaineMan1947

MaineMan1947 n00b

Oddometer:
    ohgood,

the Custom Maps were kmz files. My Montana has a Custom Maps folder. I merely placed the kmz files in there. Garmin says the Overlander does not support Custom Maps, which for me is that they don't support kmz files.
    ohgood likes this.
  13. MaineMan1947

MaineMan1947 n00b

Oddometer:
    Garmin documents say the Overlander is pre-loaded with 1:24,000 topo maps. However, elsewhere it says you can use Garmin Explore to download USGS topo quads. Why, if they are pre-loaded. I can't believe that all USGS topo maps for the whole USA are installed. If so, what is the resolution and clarity.
  14. MaineMan1947

MaineMan1947 n00b

Oddometer:
    There is no water resistance rating, so that rules out use on an ATV or side-by-side UTV.
  15. zym

zym Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Garmin Overlander is going to be a explore.garmin.com device. Like others i.e Garmin 66s and Fenix 5x, POI from internet or google could be easly transfered to the device from androids. I think this is by itself a revalution.
  16. shearboy2004

shearboy2004 KIWIINUSA Supporter

Oddometer:
    The Topo maps look too similar to Delorme's Topo to be a fluke .
  17. AlH

AlH Long timer

Oddometer:
    That kills it right there- my Montana 650t bit the dust during the recent DR650 rally.
    Been looking at replacements- tried to send it in for the $180 flat rate repair/refurb- no go.*

*so why the hell does Garmin offer this? They put you through the wringer entering your serial number, a detailed description of what is wrong, your name address etc, only to tell you at the end they don't do the 650T and to contact them.
    Then when you try to contact them you can never get through- just repeated messages to "try again later".

IMO Garmin has gone to hell the last few years- for example yesterday the InReach maps of my rides at the rally would not load for much of the day- even though it said "all systems operational". This has become a very common issue. Total Bullshit.
    Sure wish there was a decent alternative.:dirtdog Sorry- rant off.
  18. AlH

AlH Long timer

Oddometer:
    Garmin bought Delorme a couple of years ago.....so..
  19. shearboy2004

shearboy2004 KIWIINUSA Supporter

Oddometer:
    Common knowledge Mate , the point is thankfully they are using Delorme Topo rather than their shit !
  20. AlH

AlH Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not so sure, probably 90% of riders I encounter never heard of Delorme, unless they have an older InReach:dunno