1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Garmin Support

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Gerg, Oct 24, 2002.

1. Gerg

Gerg The Destroyer

Oddometer:
    I pretty much hosed my GPS V on the Crown King trip. After the ride in ~23 miles of rock road it wouldn't lock on satellites anymore :dunno I had it mounted on a RAM Mount after I changed to Ricardo's bars. The extra moment out on the end of that REALLY shook it good :evil

Anyway, an email got me a RMA number and in 8 days total I have it back with what they found (floating ground).

Not bad service :thumb

I now have the HD Touratech mount :doh

Greg
  2. RocketJohn

RocketJohn Hook em' Horns!

Oddometer:
    I had cycoactive harden mine... is yours hardened?

5000 miles and still going strong

[crossing fingers]

:dj
  3. Marc

Marc Just sayin...

Oddometer:
    Can you describe this in a bit more detail? I pound the snot out of my 176c on a regular basis and sometimes worry that the pounding and vibrations will eventually shake something loose...

Thanks,

M
  4. slack

slack Fair weather ADV dolt

Oddometer:
    my GPS V did the same thing after about 7000 miles.
    I was using a RAM mount as well

I havn't gotten around to getting it swapped out

it would shutdown randomly and complain about no external power sourse when the plug tested fine.
    Locked up a few times as well.

wacky

C
  5. slack

slack Fair weather ADV dolt

Oddometer:
    i picked up a 4 year transferable extended plan with mine.

I assume this would happon a few times.

electronics don't like vibrations even when you fill them with epoxy.
  6. mlott

mlott Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have a Garmin V mounted on a touratech handlebar mount and have lot's of off road miles without any problems. Garmin told me that the V series is "pre-hardened" and no third party hardening is needed.
  7. Sirby

Sirby Sertao

Oddometer:
    What exactly is it that works best in tacking down the various bits inside the gps? I have heard silicone, hot glue, and now epoxy. Who knows the correct medium and technique. Can you just splather it around the connection points inside, or do you have to avoid certain areas? Curious minds want to know.:confused
  8. fish

fish Banned

Oddometer:
    been treating my mono and colormap Streetpilots quite roughly for years, and no problemo. do ya think they harden them against EMP?

(i was a component engineer at Lockheed Missiles & Space Co way back when)
  9. Roadwarrior

Roadwarrior Taking The Long Way

Oddometer:
    My Etrex Vista has survived some serious abuse. Lots of miles in a Ram mount on single cyclinder bike. Several tumbles off road, and some rain and mud. The only thing I've noticed is that certan brands of batteries fit tighter than others. Loose batteries cause the unit to act wierd even if it is hardwired to the bike. A bit of foil solves the problem, but I never had a problem with Duracell Ultras. I have heard that some people using the old GPS 3+ would tape the batteries together.
  10. Sirby

Sirby Sertao

Oddometer:
    My Emap has worked well for about 10k miles on my RT, however the power adapter with built in transformer, failed at about one year old. I called the Garmin support line and the guy simply mailed me a new adapter cord. Great service! However, Dominic at Cycoactive recommended I bring the power cord adapter in to them for "hardening" which I think is a good idea. It has always ridden in my electrified tank bag or plugged into my car outlet. If it got knocked out that easy, Garmin should really think about tightening things up inside at the factory. Touratech has come out with a new power cord with attached transformer, for the Emap, which hard wires into the bike for use with a Ram Mount or similar. They also make a cradle with the transformer built into it, with a pigtail that wires into the bike. Several options.
  11. Roadwarrior

Roadwarrior Taking The Long Way

Oddometer:
    For the power cord what I did (I had an aftermarket non-Garmin unit) was take apart the housing, and solder leads to the + and - 12v inputs. Then I cut the plastic plug end off of the housing. then with my new leads comming out of the hole, I filled the housing with 30 minute epoxy. The unit dried solid as a rock, and I hard wired the new leads to an ignition switched power source (Fused) on the bike, and ran the power lead up to the handlebars. Vibrations will desroy electronics that are not encased. On a recent trip me cell phone charger that was in my tail trunk was desroyed from vibration. Components like capacitors, and coils will break off their boards.
  12. Mike Butt

Mike Butt Agent Provocateur

Oddometer:
    For those of you with intermitten lock-ups and loss of power, remove your batteries when you ride. I've been doing that for several months and it works.
  13. Sirby

Sirby Sertao

Oddometer:
    I might be wrong, but I think the Etrex and I know the Emap require that the batteries be in place to work on external power. I noticed that my Emap eats batteries if they are left in place even when the unit is turned off. I have to flip one of them around when stored for any time, to save the batteries. The internal memory does not seem to be affected by the batteries going dead. There is a built in battery which holds memory I unnerstand.
  14. johnjen

johnjen Now, even more NOW!…

Oddometer:
    My 176 used to, upon occasion, shutdown/reset/go to never-never land. But ever since I added the last series of updates it hasn't visited those strange and digital lands.... JJ
  15. Sirby

Sirby Sertao

Oddometer:
    My Emap did that too. I downloaded the latest updates and the problem went away. That was listed as a fix in the latest update. People need to check the Garmin Website every now and then, for updates.
  16. Gerg

Gerg The Destroyer

Oddometer:
    Sorry John, Somehow I missed this question... no mine is not and was not hardened. I bought the super mount that claims "no hardening necessary"

We'll see :dunno

Greg