Garmin User Input

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by Steve W, Jun 3, 2011.

1. Steve W

Steve W Old Grouch

Oddometer:
    Garmin has just introduced a site to take user feedback. The desktop dev. guys on the Garmin forum have hinted strongly that Garmin is actually reading these submissions.... for now. :D If this has any chance of being a positive influence on Garmin, IMO, play nice.

http://www8.garmin.com/contactUs/ideas/
  2. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just did it to ask to put them to put the display/control of the Track on/off bit back on the Track Property page in Mapsource.
  3. Steve W

Steve W Old Grouch

Oddometer:
    Yep. I pretty much left them a shopping list that amounted to "Bring back the 478 with the latest chipset"....... not holding my breath.
  4. mcnut

mcnut Long timer

Oddometer:
    I ask for the return (as on a GPS V) of the ability to "show/hide" contour lines for "TOPO" map sets.
  5. SKINNY

SKINNY Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well, at least they give the appearance of listening to their users...I am constantly amazed at the features Garmin leaves out of the new models, only to put them back in with later firmware updates...after being told of their mistakes by the users....:hmmmmm.......:dhorse
  6. marco polo

marco polo Long timer

Oddometer:
    I asked them to give us the ability to turn off/ignore automatic recalculation of a planned route on the new Montana series, i.e., make it like the 276C has operated for years.
  7. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hopefully you are being specific to a Model when you provide feedback or "ideas". Otherwise, there may be a model for example that does allow for "...turning off Recalculation" and your request will fall on deff ears.

The marketing/sales/development model that Garmin is using these days seems to be to create a Hardware platform that can address a market segment but to deliver just enough feature/function to get some initial sales in the casual-user segment and a few in the "power-user" segment. Then if the brand appeals to the power-user segment they might start adding feature/function given enough customer input (spell that "Complaints"). This may be a reasonable economic business model but in my experience it seems to alienate the "power-user" segment due to the time it takes to address those requirements in software updates.

I believe that the Montana platform is the intended "replacement" for the x7x Chartplotters. But only the feature/function capabilities from day one will tell us (power-users) if that is the case.

I personally am not willing to "go along for the ride" so to speak: i.e, buying the unit and then waiting for a year or two to see if Garmin will give us what we expected would be there from day one.

I have and will continue though to use all avenue's available to provide positive feedback to Garmin.

Cheers,