Garmin VIRB Elite Camera/GPS

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Emmbeedee, Nov 6, 2013.

1. ER70S-2

ER70S-2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Many of us bought in to the Virb and are extremely pissed off that Garmin abandoned it (and us). I bought a second one when they announced it was being discontinued and hope they last me for many more years.
    Emmbeedee likes this.
  2. VStromNC

VStromNC DNS/DNF

Oddometer:
    That's what I am doing with my Zumo 590 using the built in Zumo app to control my Virb Elite- video or photo. I got tired of checking my Go Pro, now sold, on ride videos and whatever the issue, it stopped or ran out of battery and never captured photos or videos. Yes, I had the latest firmware and spare batteries. Probably, my fault but no more.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
  3. VStromNC

VStromNC DNS/DNF

Oddometer:
    First thing my Garmin Virb Elite did when I charged it and hooked up to my laptop was that it automatically prompted Garmin Express to startup, already installed, on my laptop which my Zumo uses also to update firmware map and software. That was cool as it eliminated another app that I may need for updating. Garmin Express recognized and added to "my Garmin" along side my 590. Firmware was upgraded immediately as I thought I saw some grave warnings about updating firmware before trying to operate??? No problem now as I plan to use on my upcoming TAT.

For what it's worse, I did take my Go Pro last year but It just required too much attention. Come on, can you make it any harder to operate and when you finally confirm that it is operating and recording, you later find out that it stopped for some reason or another..... My unit may have taken too many impacts............
  4. DirtMerchant

DirtMerchant Long timer

Oddometer:
    ER70S-2 likes this.
  5. Emmbeedee

Emmbeedee Procrastinators

Oddometer:
    The biggest gripe I had with the GoPro was how often it fogged up when I changed batteries.

The three Elites we have in this house still work as well as ever.

Nice to see there are still some out there being used.

Sent from my iPhone
    ER70S-2 likes this.
  6. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    I have an accessory battery that I connect to my Elite and with that, I record for a full day.

Mostly time lapse video is what I’m shooting.

Works perfectly.

Sent from my iPhone
  7. DirtMerchant

DirtMerchant Long timer

Oddometer:
    What is everyone using for a tether from the VIRB to the bike?

I have cinch cord out of a storage bag but it is a little to big to get through the tether hole so I had to use a smallish zip tie; not an ideal situation...
  8. ER70S-2

ER70S-2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have these two, one of which came in a Virb accessory kit. I don't remember where the other came from (nor do I know which was which). :scratch

I asked in Mike's Camera and they didn't have a clue where to get tethers, maybe GoPro? The long one reaches my helmet strap from the top of my helmet.

[​IMG]
    JR356 likes this.
  9. DirtMerchant

DirtMerchant Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks, that is what I need. Heading over to Amazon, should be able to come up with something there.
    ER70S-2 likes this.
  10. JR356

JR356 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yup,thats how my Virb Elite and Virb are secured when on the bike.
    Also the Virb remote shown in the pic is a great way to control on bike camera(s),yes you can slave a second Virb to your primary Virb.

JR356
  11. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    I think the one on the right came with your Virb remote, ER.

I have one of remote lanyards on each of the three cameras we have here.

On my helmet, I have the lanyard going down into the visor area of the camera and coming out to hook on my intercom base.
    ER70S-2 likes this.
  12. DirtMerchant

DirtMerchant Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys. I may play around with some 100lb monofilament fishing leader so I can customize loops and length of the tether. I'll post pics if it works....
    ER70S-2 likes this.
  13. ER70S-2

ER70S-2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Found a pic of the accessory kit that one of the tethers came in, on the right.

[​IMG]
    DirtMerchant likes this.
  14. VStromNC

VStromNC DNS/DNF

Oddometer:
    I bought a ram mount adapter for my Virb Elite to use with any ram mounts. (First photo.) I think I got it from GPS City.

My Virb Elite also came with an adapter so you can use any Go Pro mounts.

I plan to use the ram mount and control with my Zumo 590 for video or stills.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
  15. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    GoPro mounts are the least desirable option as they don't have the gripper teeth as in the Garmin parts, so often the camera tilts and spoils the shot.
  16. ER70S-2

ER70S-2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wasn't that one of the biggest reasons you abandoned the GoPro, self adjusting framing? :D
    Emmbeedee likes this.
  17. VStromNC

VStromNC DNS/DNF

Oddometer:
    So true! I've had many rides in which the video was 5' in front of the bike. :dirtdog
  18. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    That and the camera fogging up on battery change. Oh, and the incredibly short battery life on the remote. I was lucky to get 2 hours on the GP one. The Virb remote lasts months on a CR2032 you can buy three of for $2 at a dollar store..
    ER70S-2 likes this.
  19. DirtMerchant

DirtMerchant Long timer

Oddometer:
    I ended up finding an old flashlight tether in the junk drawer, I attached the small nylon eyelet cord from that to a cinch cord to cobble up a pretty good tether cord for the camera, it's about 24" long and able to secure it to a wind deflector behind the windshield. I went out for about 50 miles today, camera was stable. I'm using the RAM suction cup attached to the fairing under the mirror on my R12RT, using a shorty arm and the RAM ball made for the VIRB cradle. Pretty stable on rough road, bridges and up to 80mph with a crosswind. I am using a Garmin Zumo 395 with the VIRB app, it works great for Recording and Photos but wish the App was accessible while maps were up though. Also running the Garmin F&R TPMS into the 395.

Stupid question regarding leveling the Elite... According to the manual, found here: http://static.garmin.com/pumac/VIRB_OM_EN.pdf

It says you can level the device by going to Mode > Viewfinder >/\ however I get noting when I select Viewfinder, if I hold down the /\ it scrolls through the menu, same with \/
    Are those with Elites able to access the Level screen in Viewfinder?

Thanks,
  20. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    On the viewfinder screen just press up arrow. Too simple.

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone
    DirtMerchant likes this.