Garmin VIRB Elite Camera/GPS

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Emmbeedee, Nov 6, 2013.

1. Emmbeedee

Emmbeedee Procrastinators

Oddometer:
    Sooner or later, you'll realize the little puck remote is the way to go. It's very well thought out, in my opinion. You can watch the light blinking while recording video, and when it stops blinking, you know the battery's died in the Virb.

The Tempe is also handy. It records the temperature of your ride in the gpx recorded by the Elite. Pretty interesting to see later, onscreen in Virb Edit and the movies you create.
    DirtMerchant likes this.
  2. DirtMerchant

DirtMerchant Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's what I thought too, mine won't do it.... I'll call Garmin to see what they say.
  3. DirtMerchant

DirtMerchant Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'll have to keep an eye out for one on sale, it would be nice to have the GPS doing what it is intended to do. Tempe looks kewl too.
  4. ER70S-2

ER70S-2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I love the GPS track log inset available in the Virb Elite :nod - using the Virb Edit software (free to anyone IIRC).

5. DirtMerchant

DirtMerchant Long timer

Oddometer:
    Figured out how to get the Level function to work, still not sure what I was doing wrong but it's working... :confused
    ER70S-2 likes this.
  6. DirtMerchant

DirtMerchant Long timer

Oddometer:
    Cool video, I would love to live somewhere with the altitude above 15' above sea level... Speaking of, does anyone notice their altitude display being inaccurate and or increasing and decreasing with speed?

Being at a very low and constant elevation, I noticed the inaccurate reading when reviewing my test recordings. I'll try to post some up later today so you can see what I am talking about.
  7. ER70S-2

ER70S-2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, sadly - several hundred feet low at 14k foot Pikes Peak and inconsistant. :(

It's hard to argue with the posted altitude. :deal
    [​IMG]

The recorded alt. was fairly accurate in this video, which is almost 1000 times higher than you. :-)
    But it's winter here now. :fitz
  8. DirtMerchant

DirtMerchant Long timer

Oddometer:
    I guess it is what it is, I'll just remove that from the video when it's blatantly obvious that it's wrong. BTW it's winter here too, 87* today; summers suck though...

Thanks for all the feedback, I think I'm going to like this little camera.
    Emmbeedee and ER70S-2 like this.
  9. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    There really is a lot to like about the Virb Elite. It's a shame Garmin stopped selling them, but all the ones I've had are still working perfectly. I expect to be using them for a few years yet. Considering I bought them in 2013, that's a pretty awesome record.
  10. offtheback

offtheback Chocolate Starfish Supporter

Oddometer:
    Too bad the sign is off by 5’.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  11. DirtMerchant

DirtMerchant Long timer

Oddometer:
    So.... I realized the VIRB can be controlled with the 395 WHILE using the map. There is a wrench icon in the lower right corner that will allow you to connect to the VIRB in a split screen as shown in the attached pic. IMG_8528.JPG
    Emmbeedee, g®eg and ER70S-2 like this.
  12. DirtMerchant

DirtMerchant Long timer

Oddometer:
    I ran across this on Facebook and thought others may benefit too, no affiliation.

ER70S-2 likes this.
  13. JR356

JR356 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Would be nice to see that on the Nav VI.As is,you need to change screens to get Virb controls(unless someone knows a better method/shortcut)
    I find that using the Virb remote is quicker,easier than most other methods.

JR356
  14. DirtMerchant

DirtMerchant Long timer

Oddometer:
    Do you have the wrench icon on the lower right hand corner of the screen?
  15. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    Still loving that old Virb Elite...

Works perfectly, even after more than 5 years of use. In fact it works better now than ever.

Created in Virb Edit, obviously. Those new gauges are kinda interesting.

Now if we could just get a little warm weather and move Spring into this part of the world... I've only been out once on the bike this year.
    RAGBrian, Eltjo, Bike2Hike and 2 others like this.
  16. johnpitts01

johnpitts01 Long timer

Oddometer:
    How did you create the time lapse?
  17. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    In the camera. The video settings are time lapse video, 1 second interval. I usually use this mode as I can record hundreds of hours on one 64Gb card.
    VStromNC likes this.
  18. dpike

dpike BeeKeeper Supporter

Oddometer:
    i like time lapse as well, it keeps the video moving without it becoming dull.

i've just started playing with virbedit... where is the option for the gauges to turn on or off or select different ones ?
  19. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    In the G-Metrix tab. You see these tabs only in editing mode, while creating a video.

[​IMG]
    dpike likes this.
  20. VStromNC

VStromNC DNS/DNF

Oddometer:
    My Garmin Express notified me of a new Virb Edit software 5.3.1v update. I installed to my old laptop but it failed during installation.

I found out that Garmin wrote the new version on 64 bit Windoze. My Win 7 and my other computer running Win 10 still runs under 32 bit.

Luckily, I kept a copy of the older version 5.3.0v and reinstalled. The new version 5.3.1v had lot of fixes including the map embedding issue to be able to follow your tracks on a Google Map on your video.

In the 5.3.0v, you can see your tracks recorded by Virb but no map overview showing the tracks.

Anyone get the new version working?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk