Garmin VIRB Elite Camera/GPS

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Emmbeedee, Nov 6, 2013.

1. JR356

JR356 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bought a setup similar to yours on EBay including a new remote for $125
    Bought an Elite with a few extra parts,mounts in the FM here for $75
    This was around the time the XE was coming out,so maybe got good deals from folks looking to upgrade.

JR356
    andynj likes this.
  2. Phaedrus68

Phaedrus68 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I got three new VIRBs (not Elite) last year for €150 each. At the time the shop had one new Elite for €180.
    andynj likes this.
  3. andynj

andynj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks Guys, some where i the middle of those 2 numbers is where I was thinking. My Friend just bought a GoPro5 and TBH there is not much difference except for 4k, I actually think the VIRB is better in some respects so hoping there is still a good market for them.
  4. Phaedrus68

Oddometer:
    Spares & accessories might be an issue for these older VIRBs.
  5. johnpitts01

johnpitts01 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Start recording when unit turns on mode. My unit had this functionality. Seems to have disappeared. I tried updating the software last night. Did not resolve the issue.
    I have the unit mounted as a dashcam in my truck doing 1 second time lapse. Worked quite well. Start the truck, camera turned on and started recording. Truck off recording stops unit turns off. Now I must push the record button and remember to turn it off.

Any help to recover the missing funcion appreciated. I am thinking a hard reset....
  6. DirtMerchant

DirtMerchant Long timer

Oddometer:
    VmaxChuck likes this.
  7. Phaedrus68

Oddometer:
    Spent a while sifting through this thread, but didn't find what I'm looking for.

I got a generic external mic adaptor and lavalier mic from Amazon. Driving me mad trying to get it all to work.

Can't find anywhere still selling Garmin equivalents, but surely the cables should all be the same? Will a 3.5mm-to-mini USB cable that works on a GoPro also work with a VIRB?

Anyone got any experience with an external mic set-up that works?

TIA.

EDIT: Why does "GoPro" appear above in my post as if I bolded it? I didn't.
  8. g®eg

g®eg Canadian living in exile

Oddometer:
    Re bold: turns into an ad
    Welcome to the new reality
    Phaedrus68 and ER70S-2 like this.
  9. Phaedrus68

Oddometer:
    Ah. OK.

But why that word? Why not VIRB? Or Garmin? Or microphone?
  10. ER70S-2

ER70S-2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's the software programing. Don't worry, it'll get worse. Just take a trip over to Thumper Talk to see how bad it can get (and why I haven't been back there for years). :baldy
  11. Emmbeedee

Emmbeedee Procrastinators

Oddometer:
    Wow, those old Virb Elites are so impressive. Lots of wind and snow, and clouds going by rapidly today so I put one of my cameras out on a tripod in the yard with an external battery hooked up to power it via the usb cable. The temperature never went higher than about -8C.

Twelve hours later I remembered it and it was still going well! Pitch black out at that point, so I flicked the slider back and the camera wrote the 18 minute long time lapse file properly.

I had it set to go once per second. Just importing the file to the computer now.

I can't get over how reliable this thing is.
    Eltjo, Dan Diego and ER70S-2 like this.
  12. ceevu

ceevu Adventurer

Oddometer:
    There is sale for Virb,and there is some good features (big record switch & some kind of stabilisation,how good it might be?). I see that it takes long time to start recorging if camera is not on,when using side switch. How long battery will last if camera is on,but not recording? That 9 sec delay makes it not suitable for my use,and if battery will not last stand by,i better get something else. (sena prism tube is another option i have in mind,but that does not have image stabilisation,and is twice the price...)
    This might have been discussed before,but 186 pages to look...
    Now i have sony fdrx 1000v ,and while video is good,image stabilisation is good,but battery does not last that long while travelling.
  13. DonM

DonM Do-dah Do-dah Supporter

Oddometer:
    The virb will record while using usb cable for power (if mounted on motorcycle) and recording time only limited by memory card. I have not used it helmet mounted yet and I will either control it with a zumo, iPhone app or just leave it on.
  14. ceevu

ceevu Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So i have understund,with correct wire. I have found vibration is minimum when installed in helmet,so thats where it will go. No aux power there....
  15. DonM

DonM Do-dah Do-dah Supporter

Oddometer:
    You could wear small battery for phone charging in a jacket pocket to extend recording time if needed. Or connect to bike battery when taking a rest.
    Enjoy and send video!
  16. duibhceK

duibhceK duibhce Kaelann

Oddometer:
    I used to swap out batteries between the Virb and my Garmin Monterra GPS. When Virb battery got low, I replaced it with the battery from the GPS. GPS is wired to the bike so the battery could charge back up. Infinite power! I should get a patent on this.
  17. JR356

JR356 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Same as Montana battery.
    That is the setup I have.

JR356
  18. ceevu

ceevu Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So. Stand by only lasts 5.5h from full battery to shut down. Battery was from montana,new(ish) and charged already few times,so should be as good as they get. Not what i had hoped...
  19. Emmbeedee

Emmbeedee Procrastinators

Oddometer:
    Try the same on a GoPro sometime.

I use my Virb on my helmet with the tones enabled and that way I hear a warning 15 minutes before the battery finally dies. Then I switch the battery from my Montana into it. That works really well for me.
  20. ceevu

ceevu Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I dont have and i will not get gp. I had midland xtc300 for touring(With husky 610....) duty,when there was something worth to film,just slide the switch. Instat recording,animals etc could be captured(with some luck. Unfortunately it did not have OIS or DIS,so vibration was a problem.However,when it was not recording,battery was not discharging either.). It just had a violent death...,temp was so hot that attachment glue/tape melt of from helmet,and bike behind me drove over it. May it rest in peaces.