Garmin VIRB Elite Camera/GPS

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Emmbeedee, Nov 6, 2013.

1. doxbike

doxbike Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So I have one of the first Elites and recently the rubber covering the power/mode button started to deteriorate and it eventually fell apart exposing the microswitch underneath. I initially wrapped electrician's tape around the body of the unit and used the end of my sunglass' temple pieces to turn it on/off/mode change. Finally, the brain fat passed after a few weeks of this and I decided to take the red neck repair to a new level. Took some Rescue Tape and folded it until the thickness = the distance to the microswitch, trimmed it to fit and then pressed hard enough to get it to adhere to a piece of the Rescue Tape and wrapped that around the body of the Virb- works just like it did originally and still water proof.
    Eltjo and g®eg like this.
  2. Emmbeedee

Emmbeedee Procrastinators

Oddometer:
    You never know what you're going to find when you ride back roads... A hunt pack out for a little exercise, it seems. Very well behaved, but then I am not a fox.

All our Virbs are still working as well as ever.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  3. Castos

Castos Castos

Oddometer:
    I hav
    I have mounted my Virb XE on the beak of the bike and have experienced no vibration. I have the power cord attached.
  4. doxbike

doxbike Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    working cows between Porterville and Kernville. Got caught in the largest active catle drive in California. Had to rinse all the cowshit off the Virb as well as the rest of the bike.
    Fosters likes this.
  5. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    One of the things I like most about the Virb is its mount system. I can take the camera off with one hand while riding my bicycle and record videos like this, then put it back on the mount without needing to stop.

My old dog loves going for a trailer ride. The camera was handheld for most of this.

Eltjo and ER70S-2 like this.
  6. simplemind

simplemind Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    You mean on the front fender? Have a bike photo? Tks
  7. Castos

Castos Castos

Oddometer:
    Hi Simplemind

Look at posts #108,110,116 where I have posted photos. I am at present in South Sudan and if you require more photos, let me know as I will be home in November

Cheers
    Andre
    simplemind likes this.
  8. johnpitts01

johnpitts01 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Recently my Virb will not record when powered by the battery. Works fine when powered by the USB cable. With a fully charged battery the video will come on for @ 3 seconds, then the screen goes blank for a second, then the recording stops. Same reaction from the unit wether innitiating the video from the slider on the unit or from the virb remote. Have tried a hard reset and have the latest software installed. Any ideas what the issue is and how to fix?
  9. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    Have you tried a different battery? They all fail, eventually.
  10. johnpitts01

johnpitts01 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah I figure it might just be the battery. I think I still have an extra battery in my bike bag. Will check tomorrow.
    Was just curious if anyone had seen this specific behavior.
  11. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    I did see that specific behaviour a couple of years ago in Nova Scotia while on holidays. It was strange because it looked like the battery was fully charged but the camera never booted up. I switched battery and the camera went back to normal.
  12. duibhceK

duibhceK duibhce Kaelann

Oddometer:
    It is probably indeed the battery giving up the ghost. But I've seen similar behaviour with a battery not being pressed against the terminals properly. A bit of extra padding in the battery compartment opposite from the terminals cured that.
  13. johnpitts01

johnpitts01 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Found and installed my spare battery. problem solved. Is the other battery now pretty much trash? Does it make any sense to have that defective battery in the unit when I am running the camera as a dashcam with power from my car? And save the "good" battery for use only when running on battery power?
  14. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    You might as well recycle that battery. It might fail inside the camera while the camera is powered via usb.
  15. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    Still loving that old Virb Elite. Had another battery give up the ghost so I’ll need to buy a couple more, but all three cameras are still working perfectly after about 8 years of use.

Went for a ride recently with my wife on her newly acquired DR650. We had three DRs but sold them all in 2017, but we should have kept at least one...

IMG_7053.jpg
    IMG_7048.jpg
    VmaxChuck likes this.
  16. hubilado

hubilado Motoquiero Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yep, I'm still using mine. When they began to phase out I thought I'd better get a spare for when my original dies, but the original is still going. It's still the best option for me; it has the same battery as my Montana so I just switch batteries every 2-3 hours. Just takes a minute and I've got an active camera all day.

VIRB0433.jpeg
  17. Aviatordoc

Aviatordoc Hooligan extraordinaire Supporter

Oddometer:
    Same here, I have two, still going. Bought a Virb360, but it is painful to use on a bike.
    Emmbeedee likes this.
  18. simon crewe

simon crewe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a new to me, Virb Elite camera arriving next week, which needless to say I am looking forward to. As many people have pointed out on this thread, the accessories are now becoming a little scarce. With a bit of luck I have assembled probably all I will need.
    I am trying to 'future proof' the situation with regards helmets, question being are the self adhesive base mounts for the Virb/Elite interchangeable with the later mounts for the Virb XE etc?
    They look similar, but the garmin part no's are different. Obviously the later ones are available in sets.
  19. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    I don’t think the newer mounts are the same, unfortunately. The adhesive itself can be bought on eBay. I purchased two sheets of it for about $10 a few years ago.
  20. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    I also love having the remote control on the bars. I mostly record time lapse video but the remote lets me take pictures when I want them. It’s also handy to see the red light flashing to know the video is still going.
    VmaxChuck likes this.