Garmin Zumo 390/590 Power Connection

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by wal916, May 22, 2015.

1. wal916

wal916 n00b

Oddometer:
    I've been using a Garmin 390 for a couple of years now and, generally speaking, it's been really great and very reliable. However, just recently its started to lose power intermittently. A quick press or re-seating of the unit in the cradle usually fixes it, but only for a while. This leads me to think that the cradle contacts are not connecting reliably with the contacts on the back of the Zumo unit. As any 390/590 owners will know the cradle and unit contacts are not exactly large or substantial which is probably not helping.

I've tried re-seating the unit, cleaning the contacts with switch cleaner and re-positioning the contact power lead in the cradle, all to no avail.

Has anyone else experienced this issue and have you managed to fix it?
  2. Hikertrash

Hikertrash Wasted Rock Ranger

Oddometer:
    Have you tried contacting Garmin? Theyll get back to you in a day or 2 with troubleshooting tips or a request for cradle replacement. I would try a total reboot if you haven't done so already.
    slime likes this.
  3. g®eg

g®eg Canadian living in exile

Oddometer:
    sort of a power question thing... I just got a 390 for my b-day.
    I used to use a Nuvi 550 (still have it actually) and I like it because it's USB power cord plugs right in to my USB plug on the powerlet socket. Easy to transport from bike to bike w/o hardwiring the cradle in.

so my question is:

has anyone ever tried to wire the Garmin plug end that goes to the cradle (top right) to a USB male end that goes to a power source (bottom left)?

[​IMG]

for the Nuvi I use a #BR powersports charge only cable & it works a treat...
    https://www.3brpowersports.com/products_Red_Band_USB.php
    slime likes this.
  4. PnD

PnD Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Short answer, no i havent, Would I offend if I suggested wiring it to a cig plug and you used an AUX power socket? I have rewired a USB cable to another device (replaced the cable) and the wires are quite small, My only suggestion is to get your donor cable,cut and bare the 4 wires, Red,Black,Green and White? and find the 5.1Volts combination (DC) with a multimeter. I wouldnt guarantee the Red and Black are power (but you would assume so!)
    I also have a Zumo 390LM, but as i am away from it I cant confirm if the Cradle provides 12Volts to the Zumo or 5.1 Volts.
    If its 5.1Volts yer home and hosed! just ensure the Zumo Cradle Red wire goes to the Positive 5.1 Volt USB
    wire and of course cradle Black to the other.
    When using the USB charger to power the Zumo I would also suggest plugging the Zumo via a high current (iPhone/iPad etc) 1Amp or higher outlet due to the screen current.
    I dont know your bikes AUX power set up, but as an example, our V2 Stroms' dash mounted AUX power socket is fused at 3 Amps, multiple accessories/tyre compressor I power direct from the battery via a fused AUX power lead ;) Zumo Cradle is wired direct so I can used/charge GPS when not riding ;)
    Hope this helps. cheers Paul.
  5. g®eg

Oddometer:
    cheers Paul!

The Tiger has a Powerlet plug up near key (bit like a BMW). I have a Powerlet to USB rig that seems to work a treat. I assume the 390 runs off USB power ( 5v) as it happily charges on the USB car plug in. I'd assume (but sometimes that gets me in trouble) that the whole works runs on USB power.

Time for a donor plug I guess...
  6. PnD

PnD Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi Greg, as long as the little Zumo doesnt think its connected to a 'puter and just show the charging icon when it detects power from the USB......good luck! :)
  7. g®eg

Oddometer:
    contacted the guys at 3BR powersports just on the off chance...
    got a great reply back (great because I figure I'm not crazy) along with some helpful tips

basically they have done it, but not commercially.

I am going this route:

[​IMG]

to me... make so much sense...
  8. PnD

PnD Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thats great! I have 2 bikes and 1 Zumo and cradle, so I expect i,ll also concoct a universal mount on my DR650 (with some form of vibration damping) and run power to the Zumo via USB also ;) either AUX or a powerbank.
    The cradle is hard wired on my V2 'strom, cradles are $$!
    Thanks for being the guinea pig ;)
  9. g®eg

Oddometer:

yup.. seems pretty basic
    something like so

[​IMG]

in one photo they have added their TAPP CAPP to make things more waterproof.
  10. g®eg

Oddometer:
    works perfect!
    big shout out to 3BR powersports for the idea
    sieg likes this.
  11. billyp29

billyp29 n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi greg !

Have the same problem here, was it difficult to solder the fine cables that came with the USB plug ? what color codes did you match between the two cables ?

Thanks
  12. g®eg

Oddometer:
    solder?

hahaha

yeah, probably should have but....

anyway, I dug up the email from 3BR and this is what he said

We have had a lot of experience with the cradle mounted Garmin GPS, which includes:

An old Zumo 450 on my Road King

A Montana 650 on my KTM

And lastly a Zumo 350 (predecessor to the 390) that Kurt occasionally runs on his GSX-R1000.

As you have noted, like the other cradle mounted units, the 350/390 is meant to be wired directly to the bike. We’re not at all fond of not being able to remove the cradle when it’s not being used. In the case of the Zumo and the Montana, we have cut one of our 12VDC Baryl plug and socket sets into the harness so we can remove the cradle in seconds.

For example, the Roadie is my daily driver and I can actually find my way to the grocery store and back home without a GPS J so I keep the 450, in the original soft case, and the cradle in TourPak and only mount it when I go for longer ride. That’s probably one reason that it is still alive after nine years of use.

However, the 350/390 is a different animal than the others. Rather than 12VDC it is a 5VDC supply and thus the need for the little regulator box that Garmin expects the user to mount near the battery.

So what to do – well Greg, exactly as you figured out, make a special cable with a USB Type A end spliced onto the Garmin Zumo 350/390 cable.

The “Gone in 60 seconds” pic shows a temporary setup we did on the Roadie for an ad showing how easy it is to remove the cradle. The other pic shows how we cobbled up the cable to splice the two parts together for the prototype. Notice that Garmin uses the shield braid as the ground wire. A bit odd but it keeps the cable slimmer and more flexible.

Unfortunately we have not have much call for this setup so we never put it into production. If you don’t mind a spliced cable, we could make one up for you or if you have solder skills you can do it yourself. It’s not at all tricky since the wires are a fairly large wire gauge.

BUT THAT”S NOT THE END OF THE STORY! I put this in caps since there is an issue with the Zumo 350 cradle with failed contact pins that you need to be aware of. At one point, word on the street said that Garmin was replacing more cradles than it sold originally which means multiple failures on one GPS. We speak from experience having gone through three cradles and finally giving up and hacking a hole in the side of the cradle so we could plug in a standard Red Band™ GPS Charging Cable. This is NOT a good solution since it renders the Zumo non-waterproof.

Hopefully Garmin has fixed the problem with the later cradles but just in case, treat you cradle with kid gloves.

Sorry to turn this email into a history of the world part 4 but one thing that sets us apart from “catalog suppliers” is that we have a lot of experience with actually using our stuff and want to share what we have learned with our customers. Please feel free to call me if you have more questions.

Cheers,

Don Blackwell P.E.

3BR Powersports, LLC

18870 Reeds Creek Road

Red Bluff, CA 96080
  13. g®eg

Oddometer:
    oh, and which wires to connect?
    red & black only, the other two are for data

Red color indicates the positive wire with 5 volts of DC power. Black is always the ground wire in almost all electronic devices. White is a "positive" wire for data as a "positive" wire, and. Green is also for the data, but as the "negative" wire.
  14. billyp29

billyp29 n00b

Oddometer:
    Wow Thanks for all these quick replies ! Much appreciated !!!
    g®eg likes this.
  15. g®eg

Oddometer:
    no problem
    enjoy
  16. slime

slime Healing nicely

Oddometer:
    I just found this thread, but it explains a lot. I bought a 396 to use on my street bike. Didn't use it for a while, but recently tried using it. After the first trial run I found out, it won't charge thru the cradle mount pins. What happens if the little black box is too far from the battery? I added battery tinder type disconnect so I could plug it into my tank bag power, which is straight from the battery. Still nothing. Do I need to run it straight to the battery to make it work, without the quick disconnect? Contacted Garmin, and they are sending me a new power cable. Cool. Well, that was June 4th and still nothing. Not only that, every time i check the tracking numbers, it literally changes! This week it was scheduled for Thursday. Checked Wednesday, now it's Tuesday. Checked today, now Thursday! WTF DHL Even coming from China during Covid shouldn't take that long.
  17. blender

blender Just another rider

Oddometer:
    I have a Zumo 396 also. The power issues I've encountered were mostly user error.

Doesn't make any difference how far that converter is from the battery (within reason). It could be 6ft and there would be no difference.

No, you don't need to run it direct off the battery, I don't. My recommendation is to use a switched power circuit (i.e. the GPS is on only when the key is on). BTW, you did install an in-line fuse didn't you? It's possible that you have a bad cable, those little power connection pins IMO don't always make a good connection with the 396 unit.

Some simple testing might find the problem. A voltmeter could tell if you're getting power to the cable. If you have power there then verify that you have the power cable securely mounted in the cradle. Verify that the 396 is securely mounted in the cradle.

I'm not an electrical surgeon so that's the best suggestions I can make. Outside of bad electrical connections there's not that much power-wise that can go wrong.
  18. g®eg

Oddometer:
    The guys at BR were saying there are cradle issues:

BUT THAT”S NOT THE END OF THE STORY! I put this in caps since there is an issue with the Zumo 350 cradle with failed contact pins that you need to be aware of. At one point, word on the street said that Garmin was replacing more cradles than it sold originally which means multiple failures on one GPS. We speak from experience having gone through three cradles and finally giving up and hacking a hole in the side of the cradle so we could plug in a standard Red Band™ GPS Charging Cable. This is NOT a good solution since it renders the Zumo non-waterproof.

so.... could be the cradle.
  19. blender

blender Just another rider

Oddometer:
    The poster you're quoting has a 396, *not* a 350. The 395 uses a separate power cable that is inserted into the cradle. The cradle simply clamps the GPS. But yeah, I'm not surprised that the Garmin power cable would have wonky contact pins.

My 396 is working ok so far....