Garmin Zumo 550 - New Life

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by GAS GUY, Jan 6, 2017.

1. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    Garmin Zumo 550 - New Life

"Sudden Death Syndrome" ... I'm pretty sure that is what the condition has been dubbed.

It was during the Detroit to Key West ride in March of 2016 that my Zumo 550 went black - dead !

It would not power up at all. This happened on the way back north after departing from Key West while skirting the Emerald Coast.

A screen shot of the Zumo 550 not too long before it's demise.

[​IMG]

Upon returning, I tried the various reboot procedures - but to no avail. At this point the GPS unit was deemed - doomed forever - and chucked into a corner of the garage.

After that, a Garmin Zumo 665 had been purchased, which got me through the remainder of the year.

Anyway, the purpose of this post is to share a recently found company who repairs GPS units and gives them a second chance at life.

After a phone call to the owner and an email (which was very clear and complete) he sent me outlining the whole procedure of shipping, diagnosing, and repairing the unit - I was very confident in doing business with Short Tronics of Mankato, Minnesota.

Throughout the whole process, the correspondence with Chris was immediate and amazing. Top notch customer service !

My bubble wrapped Zumo 550 arrived in the mail today. It was a pleasant surprise to push the power button and see it all aglow and communicating with the satellites while displaying a map again.

The diagnosis was a burned out power chip along with the internal backup battery being bad. The cost to repair this was $66.95.

My rubber buttons were still in good shape and did not show any signs of cracking - yet - but because this is such a common problem I had them go ahead and perform the "rubber button repair" for an additional $17.95.

They do not actually replace the buttons, but back-fill them with a special two-part urethane which prevents them from cracking and coming out in the future.

Then I inquired about updating the map set on this unit, as it is an older unit in addition to the fact that I had bought it used; so the maps were a little dated.

They updated the maps for $12.00 and installed a 4 Gigabyte SD card (necessary to hold the maps) for another $12.00.

So far so good. This unit can stay dedicated to the Honda ST-1300 now. We will see how it holds up when riding season kicks off.

The GPS repair company is -

Short Tronics
    51612 US Highway 169 - Mankato, Minnesota 56001-6584
    Chris Short - President (612-326-4364)
    www.PalmDr.com
  2. flei

flei cycletherapist

Oddometer:
    thanks for posting this! prices seem very reasonable. i hope i never need the info., but if i need a gps repair this will of great use.
    GAS GUY likes this.
  3. hwyhound

hwyhound Patriot

Oddometer:
    Good info! Thanks :clap
    GAS GUY likes this.
  4. JR356

JR356 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Glad you found them,they are a known good source for quality GPS repair at fair prices.

JR356
    GAS GUY likes this.
  5. award900

award900 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice write up. I'm sending mine in next week!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
    GAS GUY likes this.
  6. kendoo

kendoo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just had him replace the mini-usb charging port on my Nuvi 550. Super fast turnaround at a reasonable price. Highly recommend!!
  7. WJBertrand

WJBertrand Ventura Highway

Oddometer:
    Another positive vote for Shortronics. Had him fix my buttons and replace the internal battery for my z550. Last year. Garmin won't support the older GPS receivers anymore so this service is great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  8. crownhorse

crownhorse Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I used them to repair zumo 450 and 550 good to have someone who does these fixes
  9. cleandirt

cleandirt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    well crap, I guess I shouldn't have chunked my dead zumo 550 in the trash
  10. sieg

sieg Wearing out tires......2 at a time, day after day.

Oddometer:
    Good to know, I have 3 Zumo 550s laying under my desk that need fixing. Maybe I can get a volume discount.
  11. 2eddies

2eddies I'm not here.

Oddometer:
    Santa Fe, New Mexico, Rocky Mountains, USA
    These guys repaired 2 dead Zumo 450 's for me. The costs were very reasonable, the communication was frequent, knowledgable and fast. The service and return to me was bullet fast and the fixes complete. If you need Garmin GPS's fixed right, from a company that understands customer service, contact these folks.
  12. award900

award900 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Probably worth mentioning ADV Rider, so he knows we are a group buy.
  13. MrVvrroomm

MrVvrroomm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Glad I stumbled upon this. I don't have any Garmins in need of repair presently, but this place is an hour's ride/drive from where I live.
  14. 47ohv

47ohv Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thankyou Much for the info. Got a 550 on ebay. Good gps but really needs a map update. Plan to call him Monday. Thanks again
    GAS GUY likes this.
  15. Louie G

Louie G n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks My touch screen just went out so I found another one from a inmate but I could use another one I’m calling them thanks again
    GAS GUY likes this.
  16. holligl

holligl Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for this info. Thought my 550 was failing. Screen input all over the map (no pun intended). Just tried powering up again and it's now working fine. Nice to know there are repair options. I did ride in the rain a couple weeks ago but I thought these were water resistant.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    GAS GUY likes this.
  17. holligl

holligl Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I did send it in to Chris Short/ShortTronics. Very quick and great communications. They replaced the Digitizer, Refurbished the buttons, replaced the battery, and updated the mapset on my card. All together about $100 with shipping. Should be good for a while now, but I will probably remove it before riding in the rain.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
  18. JR356

JR356 Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you are worried,just rubber band a ziplock bag over it in the rain,can likely still see the screen,yet the Garmin will stay dry.

JR356
    holligl likes this.