Garmin Zumo 595LM - guidance doesn't make sense

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by ncj01, Nov 12, 2018.

1. ncj01

ncj01 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have a new 595LM.

it's guidance doesn't make sense.

For instance, i'll tell to navigate home:
    *it's always trying to send me down side roads, private driveways, telling me to uturn, all kinds of chaos like that...

I'm like: good thing i use it more for correct speed, and to see corners ahead, b/c if I truly didn't know where i was and where i was going, I'd get so turned around i'd never get home.

///

But that begs the question, which of course is: WTF!!!!!

Now before you get all rowdy and say i simply need to update maps - this is basic arkansas here, every damn road i'm going on and through has been there and un-changed since before Garmin existed as a company.......so I don't buy that a simple map update is the root cause.

No no no, i'm not on Garmin ADV routing, i'm on shortest time routing in options/settings.

//

Another example: i'm 1 mile from home, it's a straight shot down a 30yr old street.
    GPS tells me to turn, go over a block, turn again, come back to same street, and make a that mile twice the distance.
  2. Boricua

Boricua Long timer

Oddometer:
    Check in avoid section. You might be in avoid highways. Also check for avoid seasonal closures.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
    Dan Diego likes this.
  3. lkraus

lkraus Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Put it in automobile mode rather than motorcycle mode, where the GPS thinks you want more turns.
  4. Emoto

Emoto Sure, why not?

Oddometer:
    THIS.

Also, under navigation settings, you can check a box to avoid u turns.

You should really go ahead and do all of the updates on it. Sometimes the updates contain improvements to the software and bug fixes, so you don't want to miss those. Garmin Express should do it all for you.
  5. ncj01

ncj01 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys those are some good tips.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  6. petertakov

petertakov Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    And probably the best one - ditch this archaic tech and use your phone :-)))
  7. Ogre_fl

Ogre_fl Long timer

Oddometer:
    Perhaps it is your setting.

However, based upon where you live and particularly in rural areas, I have found the "latest" maps are awful and cause a lot of issues.
    Somewhere around 2015-2016 Garmin/Here tried to replace the default speed ratings they had for all the minor roads with "better" data.
    BUT, in the southeast US (maybe elsewhere too) they screwed this up and many roads ended up with completely wacky speed ratings.
    Because of this I have found any map past 2015.4 is pretty useless.

I fought with garmin for about 2 years about getting this fixed and they fixed a couple, but it still exists in a LOT of areas.
  8. Bobo

Bobo Are we there yet? Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Careful with changing this setting. Garmin may take you WAY out of your way when a simple U turn would suffice.
  9. TBTSyncro

TBTSyncro Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is simply because you have windy route suggested rather than fastest route.